• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

GREAT JOB DEVIL RAYS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

i don't see Red Sox and Yankee fans changing to start rooting for the D-Rays over those two teams.  Red Sox and Yankee fans tend to be proud fans of their teams and it would take a hell of alot to make them switch allegiances.  

It would take bribery and nothing less... and even then, any support would be on the surface  ;)

The rays winning would not convert sox or yanks fans.  It would get more fans, just not as conversions from those two fan bases.  bf4l has it exactly right.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

thats not necessarily true, the bucs certainly dont have this issue.  giants and patriots games will have opposing fans spread out amongst the stadium, but they are definately not noticable.

The Rays need their own fan base, i guarentee that if the rays start winning, most of those bosox and yankee supporters will learn to love the rays, and trade in their old jerseys for new green ones.  the rays still are still a young franchise, i keep forgetting that, this will take lots of time.

and yes if the rays do become good, the "trop is outdatted" card will be played instantly

Totally different bird fishin, you have to remember that NFL football really didn't settle a niche into the northeast until the 70s- 80s.

Where you've had a couple generations of Giants/Jets fans you also have had 4-5 generations of Yankees/Sox fans. Not to mention baseball is about 2-3 times more popular than the NFL in many parts of that area.

I'm not saying the Rays won't ever have fans, because they will. I think a good majority of them, unlike football and the Bucs will be bandwagon proportions.

Bingo

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,212
  • Days Won:  0

Most die-hard baseball fans grew up with their team.  Where I came from most fans supported the Phillies, THE team in eastern Pa.  Even though they only won one world series in 102 years, it was still THEIR team.  Now how long will it take the  Rays to build up a following like that?  Probably several generations of kids growing up with the team,and hopefully a few playoff games in the process.

The fan base is a lot more than the average attendance.  Not many people have the time or money to attend all 81 or so home games.  If they played as few games as football does, you would probably see capacity crowds.  I'm glad the other teams fans show up in force as it keeps the Rays franchise in business. I think there are more Yankee and Sox fans there during their series then Rays fans.  Maybe we'll have a few converts (at least as a second favorite team).

Maybe we'll have a few converts (at least as a second favorite team).

I think that is reasonable.  Although if the Rays ever do get good, it'll be tough to get converts from within the AL East.  I hope the Rays move to a different division just so they can have a better chance.  National League anyone?

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,212

I think that is reasonable.  Although if the Rays ever do get good, it'll be tough to get converts from within the AL East.  I hope the Rays move to a different division just so they can have a better chance.  National League anyone?

I'll go along with that.  :)

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  958

the rays will be in the NL east when the Marlins move to vegas

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

the rays will be in the NL east when the Marlins move to vegas

Not happening... the Marlins are not moving.

We Marlins fans know what happened back in 97.  They have to stay here through 2010 anyways and by that time, things will be resolved.

Stop hating  :P

The AL west has 4 teams and the NL Central (?) has 6... all other leagues have 5 teams.

Milwaukee should go back to the AL, put them in the west (i don't care if they aren't in the western part of the country) so that there are 5 in all divisions.

Put Tampa in the NL East, put one of the NL East bigger spenders in Tampa's spot so they can compete.

Then the Marlins and Rays play each other 19 times a year (instant rivalry), and the AL East has all bigger market teams that can compete with each other (Both NY Teams?)

As a sox fan, i don't like the idea so much, but as a baseball fan, it can't be much worse than playing 162 games with the thought in your head that it doesn't matter if you win as long as you get to the playoffs.

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

^^^^ I like it..... is there any chance the Mets can move NOW!?