• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A Bum Deal...  HOT

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363
  • Days Won:  0

OK, now that I've slept off the initial disbelief, here I come with some ideas I know this is falling largely on deaf ears, but I also know there are some HOT members out there reading this.

-It seems to me one of the single most lucrative endeavors right now would be to get the CD/tracks into the hands of the consumers. Even the folks who don't some of the folks who don't think the band should get another dime may purchase a CD or at least some tracks from iTunes because it means they're getting something in return (and a world-class organization associated with their University isn't tangible)

-Have the band and music greek letter organizations (KKPsi, Phi Mu Alpha, SAI) get on the grind networking with brothers and sisters from other chapters to get more ideas about how some other universities have met this challenge. It's far from a unique problem, and the more minds you can get on it, the better. After all, these organizations' mission is service to the band and/or music programs of the Alma Mater.

-Become corporate whores. Seek sponsorship/endorsements either for cash value or for freebies. If you've got to be the Yamaha-Innovative Percussion-Fred J. Miller-KFC-Taco Bell-Publix Herd of Thunder of the University of South Florida, then so be it!

-And finally, encourage donation. You're not taking food out of the mouths of the football team as many see it if you get folks who hadn't donated and otherwise wouldn't donate to give. I realize the HOT is a young program with young alums, but even encouraging small gifts could be quite helpful. As an example, even though I most recently graduated in 2005 and don't have much disposable income, I have donated at least my graduation year to each of my alma maters (undergrad, grad school, and more recently, my high school as well) each year. The 20ish bucks a pop certainly doesn't break me, and getting a large number of alumni to do that could go a long way. Tell them to make sure it's earmarked specifically for the band. In my donations to my HS and undergrad, I always make sure a portion, if not all, is donated directly to the band itself. And solicit parents as well. My mom has been known to say that she'd be more likely to donate to my undergraduate alma mater than to her own because of the time I had there (and yes, I asked her to put her money where he mouth is!). There are likely other parents out there that feel the same way about their child's experience at USF.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

As nice as the raffle donations and CDs are the numbers HOT put up would be hard to reach using those ideas. This isn't a high school band earning money to go to states in Orlando. I know every penny counts, but your litterally talking about pennies there.

Here's a better idea, notify some of those supporters of the band who have given money in the past. Notify George Steinbrenner...he just spent MILLIONS on a band complex, uniforms, and practice field at UF.

This is a case where unless you have a lot of money to give (and student loans don't make that a possibility) it's going to be rough to get the type money they need.

HOT does this mean you might not make the RIDE to Orlando for USF/UCF?

I definitely agree on Steinbrenner--he did the same at tOSU as well.

Regarding fundraising, one that I did every year in band was selling oranges/grapefruit. Granted, that's selling Evian to a drowning man in Florida ,but in Delaware it did us well. It was one of those catalog order deals (you know, like the chocolate and wrapping paper elementary kids sell) but we got/negotiated a really good return on it and it was used to raise funds for any number of trips, including Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl and St. Patty's Day in Dublin.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  443

Joe has some great ideas there but I think you do those in addition to some of the others..sell cd..add on charge for tickets..get the alumni to purchase the cd...sell items strickly for the support of the band..big bucks come from Joes idea and that is the right track to go on...some organization will do matching dollars so those pennys do count..HOT is so Kool

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

The band is a critical part of college football.  Are we going to revert to our first year and invite a bunch of hs bands to play?  NO  

We are in the process of building tradition and a true college game day atmosphere and you cant do it without a marching band.  Dont let last years strides at improving the atmoshere go in reverse.  HOT made leaps and bounds last year and really revamped themselves and their mission.   I sure hope the momentum isnt stopped but poor funding.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,212

No more away games,

I hope this doesn't mean they won't make the trip to Orlando. ???

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

The whole lack of commitment to this essential part of game atmosphere is disturbing....somebody needs to step up at the univ. level.  The type of budget they're talking about for the HOT relative to the overall budget is nothing.  This should be an easy fix.

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

Thanks for the supporting ideas here guys... If anyone knows someone who loves to throw away money... send them here: http://band.arts.usf.edu/donate.htm

CD is on its way soon... I don't know when...  It's a surprise!

We really have no choice but to go to UCF... besides... it's a cheap trip... just busses (no hotel, extra days, etc like Miami).  I wouldn't worry much about that.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

if it is either or

MONEY SHOULD GO TO FOOTBALL

i dont buy it

where is ad woolard?

football needs a band

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  695

It seems like we are all in agreement we need HOT!  It looks like some plans are in motion but we only have 66 days until our first home game and I would love to have major committment that the band will be taken care of.  

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

that sucks about not having uniforms, I can feel from the club sport stand point as we have old uniforms and bigger schools (UCF, UGA, Tenn., etc) refer to them as our Walmart jerseys. The school cut back on funding for club sports because of cuts all around I was told.

Does anyone have contact information on the HOT, Id like to get some of them out to a club sporting eventing. ERAU brings there band EVERY where with them... I think it would be fun to get part of the HOT out to one event.

FYI: The IceBulls are the highest funded club/society on campus.