• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Especially important because a couple of the players wont be able to play until december.  Gransberry/Verdejo won't be playing in the non conference games so the Italy trip will be the only games other than a scrimmage or two that they can play as a team against real competition prior to the start of Big East play.  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

Especially important because a couple of the players wont be able to play until december.  Gransberry/Verdejo won't be playing in the non conference games so the Italy trip will be the only games other than a scrimmage or two that they can play as a team against real competition prior to the start of Big East play.

Will those transfers be able to make the trip?

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I would think so, it is just practice and they can already practice with the team.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  538
  • Days Won:  0

Exactly! It's safe to say that Coach McCullum gets the most out of his players and they play with a ton of heart. It will be nice to see what he can do with more depth this season. I'm looking forward to it.

Agreed, but the tragedy is that Mac DOES get his players to play hard, UNFORTUNATELY, that isn't the only component of his job. He also is paid to a) recruit quality players B) manage the recruiting numbers per year c) deal with the media d) deal with the alumni groups e) recruit his staff and f) manage his staff.  Barring getting his boys to scrap for 40 minutes at game time, one must give him an F in virtually all areas. It's unfortunate, but irrefutable.  

I like the majority on this board, cheer for him, hope for him, hell, even hope I'm wrong but I can't ignore the facts....

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

c) deal with the media ...Barring getting his boys to scrap for 40 minutes at game time, one must give him an F in virtually all areas. It's unfortunate, but irrefutable.

I'm not sure who you are, but i've got my doubts when it comes to your knowledge of the working press. McCullum has been a class act while dealing with the press, even in the worst of times.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  538

Of the press, i'm a consumer. Sorry, did I miss some Mac witticisms?  Take for example Joe Madden, granted he of the rose colored glasses, but he's articulate, positive and charismatic, talking with the media, not at them.  He understands who helps who in that relationship.  

I don't mean to insinuate Mac is a Bobby Knight clone, I'm just saying his style and, er, personality, is not one that has him come off as the type of guy a hotshot young recruit wants to play for, a fan will buy a ticket to attend his game, or an alum will say "that's my guy" and stroke the check. Having said that, he is a gentleman, so maybe a D is in order.  Mea culpa.

Agreed, but the tragedy is that Mac DOES get his players to play hard, UNFORTUNATELY, that isn't the only component of his job. He also is paid to a) recruit quality players

So a potential 2nd round NBA pick is not a quality player? And we really haven't seen that many of HIS recruits to form a complete, informed opinion, yet .... This year should answer a lot of questions.

I don't mean to insinuate Mac is a Bobby Knight clone, I'm just saying his style and, er, personality, is not one that has him come off as the type of guy a hotshot young recruit wants to play for, a fan will buy a ticket to attend his game, or an alum will say "that's my guy" and stroke the check. Having said that, he is a gentleman, so maybe a D is in order.  Mea culpa.

I guess you missed the Huggins caper where the big time donors came out in support of Mac and the recruits (maybe not YOUR hotshot young recruits, whatever the hell that means) that have specifically said they're here because of him ......... Seriously, you don't know how Mac is in those situations you mentioned up there so why act like you do.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

I want to hear the Dome rocking again. Some of you young guys have NO IDEA about how a sold out Sun Dome sounds. Back in the late 80s and early 90s ESPN and Sports Illustrated called it one of the toughest places to play for opposing coaches. It got that loud. Basketball games were an event and we had student groups such Death Row making headlines by antagonizing the crap out of Denny Crum, Bob Huggins and Gene Bartow. It can be like that again but the coach has to make a difference.

I am sorry to say, but I am one of those guys who have NO IDEA how a sold out sundome sounds.  It is so sad being that i have been at usf since 1997.  The loudest game i have been to was vs. UF and a lot of that noice was from their fans.  

By the way, you know how I feel about the guys recruiting, coaching, and overall track record.  But tampajo thats a great pooint about the media.  Kyle, the guy has zero charisma (which affects his recruiting big time).  Every interview with him has the same excitement level of a 1984 public access television program.  If I am looking at going to usf to play basketball and dont know who robert mccullum is, he better win me over with some smooth talk and "witticisms".  

herm - who will also say a prayer that, Sports Illustrated will write we are one of the toughest places to play again.  

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

That Coach K at Duke is a real entertaining fellow...is "woo-ing" the press part of his job description too?  If so, I guess they are keeping him on board for other reasons, because he is failing as a TV or interview personality.

Now....that Seth Greenberg could put on a show...put him and (FITB) together and you had yourself a knee-slappin event.

I liked Seth, he didn't get it done (either).  Now we have a coach that clearly works on fundamentals and team play.  That's his strength.  No one needs CRM to impress McMurphy or Auman, Jim Rome or Dicky V.   Just win.  And that is his first priority.  He can practice sound bites some other time.