• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Alwan Lee not eligible to play at USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  93
  • Days Won:  0

According to Rivals Lee was only a 2-star player though he had some big schools interest.  It's not hard to find 2-star players with good grades.  You have to be willing to sacrifice some talent, but at least you will have somebody there who can get better.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

'Stars' can be very subjective and general and not really speak to how valuable an athlete will be to a specific program.  

• Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

According to Rivals Lee was only a 2-star player though he had some big schools interest.  It's not hard to find 2-star players with good grades.  You have to be willing to sacrifice some talent, but at least you will have somebody there who can get better.

For someone who hates the Bulls, you seem to care quite a bit.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

He was a 2 Star QB, many thought that at another position, like WR he would have been a "3 - 4 Star" caliber guy.

Those big schools wanted him at the WR position.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

He wouldn't have beaten out Hill or Grothe and we have too many WR's as it is.   Grothe is a RS Fr this year.  plenty of time to being in a Qb who will be the man in 3 years.  

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

'Stars' can be very subjective and general and not really speak to how valuable an athlete will be to a specific program.  

I agree, the "Star" ranking system is absolute BS.  If rivals had a scout at every high school game in the nation (or even half of them) the "ranking" system might be belivevable.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I know people at Rivals who watch about 40-60 hours of film a week (plus do write ups, etc.) to create their ranking so ease up. They work very hard and if someone started telling you your job was BS I'm sure you wouldn't feel too wel.

Some of the lower stars aren't accurate some times but for the most part, and they self admittly know that, there is only so many hours they can work. Their top 100 and 250 are usually pretty accurate though.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

That just means there are likely a ton of "diamonds in the rough" out there getting 1 or 2 stars that are deserving of a higher ranking, and it seems we've done well in the past of finding these guys (eg Marquel Blackwell)

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  63

FWIW, I am certain that the staff is making a big effort to upgrade not only the talent level of incoming recruits but also the academic standing for all the reasons posted. Remember the USF program is VERY young and recruiting as with other aspects of the football program requires a progression to get where we want to be. But rest assured the staff is on the same page on this point.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the score reqd on the ACT/SAT to qualify depends on your gpa( a sliding scale). This just goes to show the importance of maintaining a good gpa from day one in high shcool so you don't have to pull off a killer score on the test.  Lots of these guys F off for a few years and then try to mash the gas at the end but have not learned the previous academic material and aren't intelligent enough to overcome such a route.