• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How About Smoke Laval for Baseball Coach?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I think USF could do well to take a coach that won the SEC championship once, made the College World Series twice, won 66% of his games, and was the winningest conference game coach in his five years at LSU...

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/2927106.html

LSU forces out Laval

2theadvocate.com and The Advocate staff report

Published: Jun 4, 2006

LSU Athletic Director Skip Bertman fired head baseball coach Smoke Laval and his assistant coaches Sunday morning, a source close to the situation told The Advocate's Carl Dubois this morning.

When asked at a news conference today if Laval was fired, Bertman said Laval resigned but that there was a mutual senitiment about the coach's departure.

"I did accept his resignation," Bertman said. "I would say it was mutual, but he did resign."

Attempts to reach Bertman earlier in the day had been unsuccessful. Laval answered his cell phone and, after a reporter identified himself, told the reporter “See ya†and hung up.

Bertman emphatically said he has not contacted potential candidates currently in coaching, nor would he talked to any coaches currently participating in postseason play. He also left open the possibility of returning as LSU's head coach.

"I wouldn't rule that out, though I'm not sure I would want to do that," Bertman said.  "I do what's best for LSU. If that's what it takes, I wouldn't rule that out.

"At this time, I have not talked to any other coach...so help me God," Bertman said.

Bertman did not set a specific timetable for hiring a new head coach.

Laval coached five seasons at LSU, winning one Southeastern Conference championship and appearing in two College World Series. The Tigers failed in 2005 to win a regional for the first time in 11 seasons, and this season they failed to receive an invitation to the NCAA tournament for the first time in 18 seasons.

Laval’s five-year record at LSU was 210-109-1, 88-60-1 in SEC games. He won more SEC regular-season games than any other coach during his five seasons with the Tigers. He had one year left on a three-year contract, his second as head coach at LSU.

“I have enjoyed serving as the coach of the Tigers for the last five years and will always remember the many players who came through this program during that time,†LSU’s news release quoted Laval as saying. “I feel like we accomplished a lot and achieved some great things in reaching the College World Series twice and competing in four NCAA Tournaments.

A source close to the program told The Advocate that Bertman called the coaching staff to an unscheduled meeting Sunday morning and fired Laval, recruiting coordinator and hitting coach Turtle Thomas, pitching coach Brady Wiederhold and first-year volunteer assistant coach Justin Hill, a former LSU pitcher.

Bertman said Laval's departure was "in the best interest of LSU."

"This is as hard of a situation as I've been through," Bertman said. "It was very personal.

"Smoke's as good a baseball coach as anybody in the country."

Laval's final year of his contract will be paid by the LSU athletic department, Bertman said.

"I'm going to call all of the players...and tell them I am going to get the best possible coaching staff possible, even if I have to do it myself," Bertman said. "I'm not going to make a mistake.

"I'm going to pay market value based on the coaches' record and not just the Southeastern Conference but around the country ... We will be supercompetitive to get the right guy."

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

Any other major college baseball programs looking for new coach that we may have to compete with?

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

Any other major college baseball programs looking for new coach that we may have to compete with?

I hope not...

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

At this point no, he would be an excellent choice but would require more than 100,000 a year.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  292

Turtle Thomas (fired along with Laval at LSU) would be another name I'd throw in there.  He was the main assistant for many outstanding UM teams and has a lot of recruiting power.  He is a great salesman and comes across as very professional.

Not really sure why Laval was fired...although those boys down in the bayou expect championships in baseball and nothing less.

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

I think we are trying to steal away western michigan's coach.

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

Sounds like Smoke knows how to win, and might be a the kind of proven winner we are looking for.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

I have been out in Baton Rouge for the last 2 weeks and Laval was being hammered on local talk radio daily.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

guy actually has some state ties. played at jacksonville, was an assistant with the gators before he went to LSU ...

greg