• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does men's bball make the Garden next season?

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

Even just squeaking in next year will be a major accomplishment. That would mean that we would have finished ahead of four  storied, traditional basketball programs. This fact gets lost sometimes on these unrealistic, mtv generation types ...

Trip, WOW I agree.  It would be an accomplishment to finish above 4 teams from the BE. I have been arguing with big 10 midwesterners and ACC guys for years tat the BE is the best conference top to bottom (way before last year, when I think it was no question the best conference).  But we need to set higher goals than just making the con tourney.  Please lets play in the garden in the NIT finals or just make the big dance.  Pretty please.  

and bullpen i think you are right, i feel we may be equal if not better than depaul, rutgers, providence, nd and wvu but not st johns they heavily improved with some big recruits, but im a little biased witht he johnnies.  

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

But we need to set higher goals than just making the con tourney.  Please lets play in the garden in the NIT finals or just make the big dance.  Pretty please.

You need to make goals based in reality on a year to year basis. With so many unknowns, to make any goal higher than just making the conf tourney is unrealistic for this upcoming year. You raise the bar as the program grows.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

I've heard that it will take more than just an improved record and making the BE Tourney to save his job.

If we show that type of improvement, I'm hoping DW is smarter than that ...

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

If you are talking about the Botanical Garden at the end of Alumni then I think there is a chance, but if you are talking about Madison Square Gardens I think our only chance is to schedule an away game at St Johns.

Even if we play St Johns in ny, it would be at Alumni Hall not MSG, they only play the big dogs in msg.  

Botanical Gardens....hilarious!!!

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

I would have to say no right now. We have a lot of unproven potential on this roster. Who knows how things will shape out. I do know this. If we don't make the BE tourny, it's time for a change.

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

For those who believe McCullum needs more than a trip to the Garden to stay on-board, keep in mind that all teams who made it to New York last season got into the Big Dance or the NIT.  And all four who went to the NIT won at least one of those games.  So six conference wins and an overall winning record might just do the trick.

However, I see fewer than six conference wins getting a ticket to the Garden next season, and four or five might get you in if you win the right games (negating my MSG=NIT theory).  The teams who finished 10th through 15th basically split all the games among themselves, creating that ugly log-jam with what amounted to "play-in games" between RU-SJU and ND-DePaul on the final weekend.  With ANY kind of spread between the haves and have-nots, a team can very realistically get in with 4 or 5 victories.  Unfortunately, some of our biggest beatdowns came at the hands of the 13th, 14th, and 15th placed teams.

• Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  260

I stick with my prediction! We will be there! Go BULLS!

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

Put up or shut up!

I'll bet a set of men's bball season tickets with anyone who thinks the men's bball team will not make the Garden next year.

(If memory serves me, I lost a similar bet to smazza on Seth and the boys making the NCAA's. ---You blow chunks, Seth! )  ::)

Mark it down: USF men's bball will make the Garden!

You have to bet something of value.   I gave up my season tix when it was clear that there was no committment to winning.  It is very unlikely that 4 teams will be worse then us.  

We will again be home for the conference tourny for the 3rd time in 4 years.  

To put a positive spin on it though, think about the money we will save by not going and we can put that towards the new coach.   Lets see, $300 airfare x 20 people is $6000.  Hotel rooms at $150 per night min.  x 10 rooms x 3 night min = 4500  Transportation, and food and misc expenses puts us near $15,000.  

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Blah Blah Blah