• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cardieri Resigns

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,479
  • Days Won:  0

Just said it on at the end of the sports news on channel 11!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They just put it on the front page of the official site.

I agree Astro, but I just had the feeling there was going to be a change. Personally, I think it was time to move on. I have a lot of respect for EC, he has been the USF baseball coach longer than I have been alive.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

I hope he stays associated with the program in some way.  Best of luck to CEC and thank you for your years of service.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

thanks coach for all you have done for usf over the years, and best of luck to you and your family

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

He had a good career here at USF, shame it ended on a down note

Agree 100%.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF SID Office

USF Baseball Coach Eddie Cardieri Resigns Position After 24 Years At The School

TAMPA, FLA. (May 31, 2006) – Eddie Cardieri, who has been with the USF Baseball program for 24 years, including the last 21 as head coach, resigned his position effective today.

Cardieri compiled a 731-546 record in his 21 seasons as head coach at USF, and with two seasons at Saint Leo University, his career record is 794-579. He coached the Bulls to nine NCAA Tournaments and five regular season conference championships.

He twice earned Coach of the Year in the Sun Belt and Metro Conferences and once in Conference USA. He was also named the Conference USA Student-Athletes Advisory Committee (SAAC) Coaches Choice Award winner in 2003.

“Over the past two days I have had very healthy discussions with Doug Woolard and Barbara Sparks-McGlinchy regarding the baseball program,” said Cardieri. “We discussed a variety of opportunities and options involving the program and we eventually came to a mutual decision that I would resign as head coach.

“As I step back in the coming weeks and assess where I would like to take my career, I do so with great pride in the hundreds of players I have been blessed to coach over the past 24 years at USF. Not only did a lot of great baseball players pass through the program, but a lot of young men also developed into outstanding citizens in our community and across the country. I hope the University and our community appreciate all these student-athletes for their many accomplishments at USF and elsewhere.”

Woolard said, “I respect and appreciate the many contributions Eddie Cardieri has made to USF Baseball and the University. Due to his development of the program, this can be one of the best baseball jobs in the country.”

Woolard indicated USF will conduct a national search for a new head coach with “the intent to hire the person who can provide the best partnership for our student-athletes academically and athletically.”

Cardieri first arrived as an assistant on Robin Roberts USF staff in 1983. He was named head coach in 1986, when he led the team to a 52-16 record and his first NCAA appearance. He was head coach at Saint Leo in 1981 and 1982, when he compiled a 63-33 record.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

Is Wenesday, I figured it would happen today. Great way to let him go out with some class DW.