• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How much $$$

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

uncg?  Give me a break.  All these small schools outdoing us in facilities.  AMazing.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minotaur, I believe there is one problem with dual use facilities: size.

Is these numbers are wrong, someone correct me - but...

- Baseball is 90 feet to first base, 66 feet to the pitcher's mound.

- Softball is 60 feet to first base, 45 feet to the pitchers "mound" - which I don't believe is raised as high either.

Sure, you can erect a temporary wall for softball that is not as deep as the permanent wall for baseball, but how do you change the size of the infield?

I could be wrong, but I don't think there are any schools in the country that use the same field for baseball and softball.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Our current estimate for the softball stadium is in the $3 million range.  We have some renderings of what we would like for it to look like but obviously that depends on a few things.

That sounds great...most of what I have seen in looking around tells me $3 million can build a very nice facility...good to hear.

I would not be for dual use even if it were possible.  One thing that Athletics seems committed to is doing things RIGHT.  I do not want us to try multi-purpose nonsense.  We need to build the best we can when we can.  Facilities to be proud of.  

I am with Cubanbull.  I think most of us know that the common $100 donation isn't going to build these facilities, but instead the multi-million dollar donors will.  Still, I think there should be a facilities fund or something that the regular joes can drop money in from time to time.  While we can't all add six zeroes to the end of a check, we'd like to help as possible.

Eric, I appreciate your insight on these facilities threads.  Many thanks to you for doing so.

• Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

Eric, Your participation here is appreciated and glad you have a little fire.  It just seems to some of us that now would have been a great time to feed off of the softball team's success (and prospects) to show a mock-up and and announce a fund raising goal.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

That sounds great...most of what I have seen in looking around tells me $3 million can build a very nice facility...good to hear.

I would not be for dual use even if it were possible.  One thing that Athletics seems committed to is doing things RIGHT.  I do not want us to try multi-purpose nonsense.  We need to build the best we can when we can.  Facilities to be proud of.  

I am with Cubanbull.  I think most of us know that the common $100 donation isn't going to build these facilities, but instead the multi-million dollar donors will.  Still, I think there should be a facilities fund or something that the regular joes can drop money in from time to time.  While we can't all add six zeroes to the end of a check, we'd like to help as possible.

Eric, I appreciate your insight on these facilities threads.  Many thanks to you for doing so.

Bulliever, and Eric can correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure they'll do like they did with the athletic facility.  You're not going to get there raising $100 to $500 at a time and cowtailing to every nickel and dime investor (and I am a nickel and dime investor).  SO, what they did with the facility as things got closer to fruition they opened up donor opportunities to the general population, and then they had a donor opportunity for furnishing the facility- that's where my investment went and many others on this board.  I bet as things become clearer and the finances are lined up then they'll start looking at ways us 'average joes' can drop our dollars in.  

Although some sort of nickel and dime fund might be more appropriate for creating a general athletic Endowment.   That's not a bad idea just probably something that needs a little honning.  You should talk about it, with this board and your internet reach you might be the type of personality to tackle it.

I am with SRQ though, a redition, even very preliminary, should be volunteered on the website to give fans something to get excited about.  Also, a state-of-the-union on where they are would be good too.  I for one, and Eric knows, that there should/could be some good announcements coming on this soon.  Fundraising doesn't always come from individuals.

• Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  1,158

The reason we don't have drawings of each specific facility is because they are in production.  What you have seen is the drawing of the overall master plan.  It takes a little bit of time to put all these individual facility drawings together.

We will when the time is write give everyone the opportunity to participate in building these facilities, but we need to have a majority of funding available before that happens.

Thanks as always guys for your input.  I'm just trying to keep things as accurate and real as possible around here.

Go Bulls!

Eric

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

Ok, I appreciate the comments. I will reserve my nickle and dime ideas and my nickle and dime donations.

The thing that I believe you guys miss out on is that by creating a community effort you also create interest in the project at every level. Its ok to go after 16,000 people for donations, but don't be surprised when you only have 16,000 season ticket holders (football after 10 years now) or 16,000 people give a crap about the program.

Yeah what is $50 net profit (x 10,000 (1/1000 of students and alumni) = $500,000 or 1/6 your need), a new USF "shareholder" and a walking billboard worth. Its just another nickle and dime idiot who gives a crap anyway.

Go knock on Stienbrenners door (again) and he will probably donate, buy 8 tickets and let them sit fallow for eternity while the students get moved further and further back from the action. Be sure to save him a spot outside the park (SunDome) in the event that he does choose to grace us with his precence.

Me I will just wait quietly for another 5-10 years until one of those big fish need another tax shelter and want you off their back.

BTW: Congratulations I hear the athletic auction turned out well.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Ok, I appreciate the comments. I will reserve my nickle and dime ideas and my nickle and dime donations.

The thing that I believe you guys miss out on is that by creating a community effort you also create interest in the project at every level. Its ok to go after 16,000 people for donations, but don't be surprised when you only have 16,000 season ticket holders (football after 10 years now) or 16,000 people give a crap about the program.

Yeah what is $50 net profit (x 10,000 (1/1000 of students and alumni) = $500,000 or 1/6 your need), a new USF "shareholder" and a walking billboard worth. Its just another nickle and dime idiot who gives a crap anyway.

Go knock on Stienbrenners door (again) and he will probably donate, buy 8 tickets and let them sit fallow for eternity while the students get moved further and further back from the action. Be sure to save him a spot outside the park (SunDome) in the event that he does choose to grace us with his precence.

Me I will just wait quietly for another 5-10 years until one of those big fish need another tax shelter and want you off their back.

BTW: Congratulations I hear the athletic auction turned out well.

I believe your reasoning is already in-place.  No one is holding, or turning down a smallish donation but remember to ask ANYONE to give even $100 of their hard earn dollars requires some sales, and marketing.  People, no matter how big their pocketbook, just don't part with money so easily.  Sure it's easy for a few big time board posters and fans to say that's so, but the reality proves otherwise.   The Athletic Department in the past has picked their times wisely on when to hit up the smallish donors for big dollars.  Raising $100 from 16,000 is a pipe dream (partly because that is above and beyond their ticket donation), even then we'd spend thousands of man hours to make say $2M.  There is a time for that, you grab a Steinbrenner, or Sullivan, or a Coke a Cola, then when you get the $20M needed to get the facilities up and roaring you start hitting up the 16,000 or so fans for their $100.  That money is also needed to make sure there are desks, weights, dining equipment, footballs, tables, concession equipment, etc.  That's just as important as the $5M to $20M donated from the big sources.

That's exactly what they did for the athletic facility and it was a rousing success.  The big dogs got the facility built, and the rest of us shmose stocked it with the necessary furtniture, fixtures, and equipment.  It's all got to be included so why not do it wisely.

As for hitting up the say 16,000 season ticket holders well that can and I am sure will, be done in as creative manner as it was before, i.e. letting people name lockers, get a name on a plaque, pick what they want to buy, etc.  Also, hitting up season ticket holders can be done for different things like endowment funds, or stuff directly associated with the sport they support.  Remember to buy season tickets you are already forced to give an annual donation, that fact is not lost on some less fanatical donors, who are unlike you or I.

The enthusiasm is great!  Hey Eric, I am pissed I missed the auction, traveling for work, my best friend JC demands I be there next year and will.  He bought quite a few good sized items and I actually get to benefit from one!  Looking forward to next years, and I will work my work schedule around!

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  269

Folks, everybody's gifts and ideas are important, whether it's $100 or $1 million.  

There is a generally accepted principle in campaigning, called "sequential fund raising."   That means you start from the top down (dollar amounts) in the solicitation of gifts.   Generally, fund raising efforts are broken into three or four phases, the first calling for a focus on those "make or break" gifts, the last seeking campaign participation by broader numbers of people, typically for smaller gifts.

This sequential philosophy helps assure that you don't ask people for much smaller gifts than they are capable of giving, and is all about setting peer expectations for campaign participation.   It's standard strategy in campaigns of any size, and it doesn't have anything to do with value judgments.

An effort of the nature USF is undertaking isn't slapped together overnight (not if it's going to be successful, anyway), and it does take some quiet work up front to assure that the stage is correctly set.  

That doesn't mean that your ideas for the broader-based efforts aren't appreciated or worthwhile.    We may be working on the early phase now, but we are planning for the entire effort, and you may see those ideas implemented down the road.    Anyone who wishes to make a gift now certainly can do so . . . just email me at vmitchel@admin.usf.edu.    Before long, however, we'll have more structured opportunities for participation in each specific facility.

As for an update, the Athletic Training Center is complete, the Track Complex is funded, and we hope to share some good news very soon on another part of the project.   Stay tuned, and don't hesitate to ask questions or make suggestions.

Love the enthusiasm!   Go Bulls!

Vicki

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  269

By the way, no one is "forced" to give a gift in order to buy season tickets.  There are season tickets available for those who do not make charitable gifts.  

As a part of the university that does not receive any state dollars, our athletics program survives on (a) ticket and other event revenue, (B) television, © student fees, (d) conference revenue, (e) sponsorships, and (f) philanthropy.   Those who support the program in one or more of these ways receive priority seating.  Though I realize seating location is the primary motivator for many of you, I hope you will also remember that, by making your annual gift, you are helping to educate and provide a top quality college athletics experience to more than 400 student athletes each year.  

Thanks for listening.  ;)

Vicki