• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

REGGIE KOHN - On the Bulls Sidelines Again!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103
  • Days Won:  0

congrats reggie and welcome home, hope you have success in the collegiate ranks like you did in the high school ranks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

I LOVE THIS MOVE!!

Reggie Kohn will be a success, at anything he wants to do. I am overjoyed that he has chosen top come back to USF and be part of builing this program. Its probably a longshot, but who is better at taking and making Loooooooooong shots than Reggie Kohn?

reggie.txt

My personal message to Reggie: prod_238_6105.gif

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

From Brett's Blog:

The real reason Reggie was hired

Posted May 17, 2006 by Brett McMurphy

Pssst. Yeah, you over there. Want to know the real reason, the inside, inside scoop, on why Reggie Kohn, USF’s former point guard, was hired Wednesday as the Bulls’ director of basketball operations? “I guess,’’ Kohn said, “because I’m their good luck charm.’’ That’s right, the Bulls are unbeatable in Big East play with Kohn in the house. Last season, Kohn attended one USF game - the finale against Georgetown, a 63-56 victory - so the Bulls have never lost a Big East game with Kohn in attendance. So don’t be surprised when the Bulls finish league play 16-0 next season with Kohn on the bench.

Read the rest here

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

That’s right, the Bulls are unbeatable in Big East play

just end that with a period  :)  

That will be cool when it happens  ;)

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

APIFFRKPTOUGTAJ.20060517163536.jpg

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

should hire him to actually coach the team.

Fine_Larry.jpg

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

small_logo.gif

Lake Howell coach off to USF

Reggie Kohn will return to his alma mater, and dad will lead the Silver Hawks.

By Buddy Collings

Sentinel Staff Writer

May 18, 2006

Even as he led Lake Howell to three consecutive state final four appearances as one of the youngest coaches in Florida, Reggie Kohn was itching for another challenge, either back on the court or in college basketball.

He's staying on the sideline, but returning to the college level.

Kohn, who was 83-14 in three seasons with the Silver Hawks, is leaving his high school alma mater to become an assistant at USF, where he played in college. Bulls Coach Robert McCullum has named Kohn, 26, director of men's basketball operations, a position that includes arranging travel and practice plans for road trips and preparing scouting reports.

Kohn was 23 and less than a month out of college when he took over for his father, Steve, at Lake Howell. He will hand those coaching reins back to his dad.

"I had other opportunities that I've considered. I was always waiting for the right thing," Kohn said Wednesday. "This is the right opportunity, the right place. And it's the right time in my life to do something, to see if I love college coaching and want to pursue that and hopefully work my way up."

Kohn set USF career records for assists (632) and 3-point field goals (252). He signed a one-year contract to play pro ball in Turkey in August 2004 after one season as a high school head coach, but he returned to Lake Howell when a stress fracture that tormented him as a college point guard flared up in practices.

Steve Kohn was 280-218 at Lake Howell from 1988-2003, highlighted by the seasons when he coached his sons, Reggie and Josh, who both set school records. Josh is now the coach at Hagerty High.

"I was stealing ideas from Reggie and Josh when they were playing in college," Steve Kohn said Wednesday. "I'm really excited for Reggie because everybody knows him back at USF."

Steve Kohn, who had a final four team in 2002-03 when Reggie was a senior point guard for USF, takes over a team with three rising seniors who are expected to sign with major colleges in November. Junior Nick Calathes, Florida's Mr. Basketball 2006 award winner, committed to Florida after his sophomore season. Joey Rodriguez has committed to Massachusetts, and Chandler Parsons is expected to announce his college choice this summer.

Reggie Kohn said he turned down offers to be an assistant coach at the Division II level and head coach at Seminole Community College during his three-year stint at Lake Howell.

"It's sad leaving Lake Howell, especially with the three guys I've coached these past three years coming back," Reggie said. "It had to be the right opportunity. It was very difficult to tell the guys. But they knew that I was considering things."

Calathes said he doesn't expect the Silver Hawks to lose a step in the transition back from son to father.

"We're going to miss Reggie, but his dad coaches just like him -- just not the yelling," Calathes said. "Coach [steve] Kohn is a lot quieter.

"Our expectations are to win a state championship. They're still the same, no matter what."

Buddy Collings can be reached at bcollings@orlandosentinel.com.

Story Link

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Comment from Brett's Blog re: Kohn hiring:

Posted by  Jay Paules, Brandon on 05/18  at  10:15 AM

The real reason Kohn was hired....to help us sign one of his players.  Chandler Parsons will be a senior next year and we are recruiting him (so are a lot of other people).  He’s a 6-8 small forward who can stroke it from three point land.  Don’t get me wrong, I think Reggie will be an excellent college coach in the future, but this position doesn’t seem to include coaching.  Maybe that will change or there is the promise that he will get a coaching position in a year or two.

With or without Parsons I think Kohn is a great hire for this program.  But a 6-8 guy knocking down treys?  Sounds like a nice bonus...

Brett's blog