• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Softball splits with Rutgers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

USF softball split two games with Rutgers today by 2-1 scores, missing a chance to clinch the Big East regular-season title, which would have been the Bulls' first in any sport.

The Bulls (47-22) could still take the regular-season crown and top seed in the league tournament with a Louisville loss today, but the Cardinals won their first game against Villanova and were leading 4-1 in the second game.

USF has nature to thank for its second-place finish -- the Bulls beat Louisville in both head-to-head meetings, but the Bulls weren't able to reschedule two games that were rained out at Connecticut, while Louisville was able to reschedule its two games rained out at Providence.

As a result, USF is 17-3 and Louisville will likely finish 19-3, winning the regular-season crown by having a higher winning percentage. The two rivals could meet up again in the Big East tournament, which starts Thursday at Notre Dame.

USF will be seeded no lower than second in the Big East tournament. The Bulls were picked by league coaches to finish third in the preseason.

www.sptimes.com/blogs/usf

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  9
  • Days Won:  0

ANOTHER IN A LONG LINE OF NBC... Nothing But Choking! I wish we could win something... Just once. Maybe we should leave and go to the Sun Belt!

• Topic Count:  1,034
  • Content Count:  7,512
  • Days Won:  10

Instead the 'NBC' and 'back to the Sun Belt' cracks, both laughable, why don't you stand behind the team going into the Conference tournament?

A little homework for you, 'USF'Gary... how many regular season and tournament championships did USF win while members of C-USA?

I guess I am just run down by the inability lately to win important games in all sports.

It is the circumstances that are most frustrating. Losing to the Second worst team in the Big East. Only needing to one there for the outright title. Just like important games at Uconn in football and all the years that bball has choked. It gets frustrating.

I hope the win tourney title.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

people have bad games, and anybody can beat anybody on any given day

• Topic Count:  1,034
  • Content Count:  7,512
  • Days Won:  10

I guess I am just run down by the inability lately to win important games in all sports.

It is the circumstances that are most frustrating. Losing to the Second worst team in the Big East. Only needing to one there for the outright title. Just like important games at Uconn in football and all the years that bball has choked. It gets frustrating.

I hope the win tourney title.

I understand.. and it is frustrating.  Winning will come, however.  I say this because we are putting the pieces into place and I'm sure that Doug Woolard will keep us moving in that direction.

Keep the faith and keep supporting our Bulls.

Sounds fair enough...

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

A bit harsh to call this team chokers, as your initial post alluded to. If anything, kudos to Coach Eriksen and the ladies for turning things around after a slow start. As Greg pointed out, the inability to reschedule the 2 games with UConn hurt our chances. We win those 2 and we're the Champions of the league.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Of all programs, outside of football, this is the last one that should be chided for an inability to win the big ones.  Coach Ericsken, what he's been able to do with sub-1-A facilities is nothing short of amazing.  He's achieved the unthinkable at this school and made softball one of the big prides of this University's Athletic Programs.  I can understand Gary's disappointment, but softball is the LAST program that should be chided for such inability.  Over the past five years Coach Ericksen's crew has won many, many, many more games then they've lost, or should have lost.  

Kudos to the softball program, they are truly a pride of the Bulls and a program that we should be ultimately proud of.  I can only hope that in the next 2-3 years this program gets the facilities they deserve and it parlay's us into something bigger then we could ever imagine.  Unlike baseball, I have the full confidence that if Coach Ericksen ever got the facilities he deserves, is warranted, and necessary he would/will propel this program into even greater national prominence!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

bulls need to win tourney for redemption

why werent uconn games rescheduled?