• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Greg Auman, Times sportswriter Tuesday, April 18,

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

Rounding up spring football notes ...

-- Talked to coach Jim Leavitt on Tuesday, getting his final thoughts on spring ball. Asked what impressed him most, he turned first to freshman cornerback Jerome Murphy, who had two picks in the spring game and five in his last five practices. "Jerome has made plays all spring. He had a very good spring." The Bulls have two cornerbacks with two years of starting experience in Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams, but Murphy could make a case to be the nickel defensive back this fall, if not more.

-- I think receiver is arguably USF's most improved position since December. "Marcus Edwards is very dependable. Amp (Hill) and Marcus, you feel like if you throw it to them, they're going to catch it,'' Leavitt said. He's also very high on senior Ean Randolph, potentially as a threat on returns as well.

In part because the Bulls are so deep at receiver, Leavitt mentioned that Antwon Hanks, a preferred walk-on freshman from Ocala, may focus exclusively on track. Hanks, who did not participate in spring drills, is a standout in the 400 meters. "He's a guy who could be great in track," Leavitt said.

-- More depth chart musings ... Linebacker has three great starters but precious little depth. Leavitt told me Chris Robinson ("I was very impressed," he said) is the second-string strongside backer, with Brouce Mompremier as the top backup in the middle. Weakside will likely go to a freshman coming in this fall. Offensive line? Leavitt said Nick Capogna will go into the fall as starting center, with Jake Griffin as his backup, rather than a starting guard. Leavitt said Matt Huners and Walter Walker would be the starters at guard, with Thed Watson and Marc Dile the guys to beat at tackle. Danny Tolley, still a challenger at left guard, can back up either left-side position, with Jared Carnes as the backup right tackle. Both backup guard spots could go to a true freshman this fall.

-- Walk-on update: I figured out where tight end Devin Gordon, who caught a nice pass in the spring game, is from. He's originally from Hawthorne, Fla., and spent two seasons as a receiver at Missouri Valley College, an NAIA school. He has just one year of eligibility left, so it's not a sure thing that he'll earn a spot on the fall roster. Pretty good numbers as a high school senior in 2001, when he was Cornelius Ingram's top target, getting 39 catches for 813 yards and seven touchdowns.

Ty...  I don't know if Greg will appreciate that people post the entire content of his blog on here...

Maybe you could just post your comment about what he says and then the link to his blog??

... section deleted ...

Just a thought. :-)

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

I think Greg can speak to that.

We link to Greg's blog above, and TyBull is trying to get it right in terms of crediting Greg.

He really should provide a link, however.

This site has done a lot to raise the awareness of Greg's blog, and Greg has provided great input to the message board. Like other trademarked or copyrighted material, as long as there is no intentional abuse, I think Greg and the SPT would be fine.

Normally when there is a violation, I am the first to know, as I have in the past - i.e. The 12th Man Club, ESPN, etc....

I think Greg likes the publicity for his blog and I imagine the hits he receives are increasing with each excerpt and/or link posted here.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

brad -- what was ESPN upset about.......anything recently?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

brad -- what was ESPN upset about.......anything recently?

And how would they know? Do they monitor all the sites like this?

I was informed via an intermediary that I would likely be contacted by ESPN after a post made by one of our members that he would create DVDs in return for a site donation.   I was told ESPN is very strict on that sort of thing.  I am sure that the ESPN hands on the USF account monitor this board as do many other media outlets.

Then again, maybe I was intimidated...for all I know it could have been Suzy Kolber and I might have had a Joe Namath moment with her...

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594
  • Days Won:  0

i wahn kith yoo.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

hey folks. as brad said, there's certainly a good amount of cross-traffic from these boards to my blog, and the link on the main navigation makes it pretty easy to find my stuff online. i'm not going to complain at all about traffic from these boards.

only real gripe i had was when people cut and paste stuff into posts without saying where it's from -- whether it's my stuff, stuff from the trib, wherever. i know it's nothing malicious, just the principle of the thing ...

that said, if you want to paste a link into the bottom of your post about my post, that'd be great. it's nice to have more traffic. we just launched a rays blog, so it's another good one for mine to compete with in our sports department.

for what it's worth, it reflects positively on USF and its fan base if my blog gets a good amount of traffic. my editors see that and think, hey, usf has a good following online. so by that, everybody who reads a huge section of a blog entry here (and not there) is in some supertiny way making it seem like the bulls have less of a following.

basically, i'm happy you're reading either way. any questions, shoot me an e-mail at auman@sptimes.com or post a comment at sptimes.com/blogs/usf.

greg