• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Re: NEW BAND UNIFORMS PROMISE DEAD

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

Spread the word here once it's set up.. I know BullsPenners have been known to donate in the past, and given the fact that we've ranted for 6 pages on this, I'm sure there are some with interest in how this thing resolves.

It's still being created, but it is under way.  I just sent off files for them to use for the video.  

I hope it gets done soon  :-[

Everyone here will be the first to know... if I have anything to do with it.  everyone on this board are huge supporters of athletics and the university.  

Thats why I love hearing what everyone says about the band and SG.  Your opinion does get counted.  I just wish the student body could voice their opinions about stuff to SG, etc better.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

AHHHH wrong

it is the athletic logo, being changed out with the new athletic logo.  Athletics used the old "USF" without "University of South Florida" written under it.  In fact, they all pretty much used the same thing.  Now we have an athletic "USF" and the green box with "USF" in it for academics.

The system changed... so basicly it is the athletic logo... since the band uses the new one.

The USF with the drop S was actually the old institutional logo, and the "iron bull" as I believe I've heard it referred to (the diamond with the bull's head) was the old athletic logo. In the change that's being made, you're essentially switching the old institutional logo for the new athletic logo. The new institutional logo is the one that can be found in the upper left hand corner of usf.edu.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  580

I don't know why that this thread is still fun.  As I said, I was in band in high school and had friends in UCFs....but still - there is just some great humor here.  

Anyway - uniforms for a band are a big chunk of change. (300 a pop plus design so about 100,000 total beginning to end)  Not having the horns on them isn't a good enough reason.  Now if it had that old bull logo on it - that would be different....instead it has a version of "USF" that is apparantly "retired" and would cast shame on your school if ever seen by a guy playing a tuba.

But the bottom line - it's a big chunk of change for something that is worn 10 times a year.  Read my "band nerd" post 5-6 pages back - it's all about perspective, which you are lacking.  How much else could you buy with that money instead of uniforms?  How many jerseys, pads, footballs?

I just asked a friend who did the gig up at FSU and they replaced theirs a few years ago after more than 15 years.  Perspective.

As I said before - don't get mad at USF...get mad at your band director for blabbing to everyone before it was a reality - he should know how universities work and what is and what isn't a definite promise.  Now some flute player is going to transfer home to Quinniapiac where they have brand new uniforms....but it won't be the same.  Sorry to end on a downer.

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

Dude, that chunk of change is like what...Three Albert Mean recruits? LOL.

I don't know why that this thread is still fun.  As I said, I was in band in high school and had friends in UCFs....but still - there is just some great humor here.  

Anyway - uniforms for a band are a big chunk of change. (300 a pop plus design so about 100,000 total beginning to end)  Not having the horns on them isn't a good enough reason.  Now if it had that old bull logo on it - that would be different....instead it has a version of "USF" that is apparantly "retired" and would cast shame on your school if ever seen by a guy playing a tuba.

But the bottom line - it's a big chunk of change for something that is worn 10 times a year.  Read my "band nerd" post 5-6 pages back - it's all about perspective, which you are lacking.  How much else could you buy with that money instead of uniforms?  How many jerseys, pads, footballs?

I just asked a friend who did the gig up at FSU and they replaced theirs a few years ago after more than 15 years.  Perspective.

As I said before - don't get mad at USF...get mad at your band director for blabbing to everyone before it was a reality - he should know how universities work and what is and what isn't a definite promise.  Now some flute player is going to transfer home to Quinniapiac where they have brand new uniforms....but it won't be the same.  Sorry to end on a downer.

Point of order--no marching band a Quinnibiatch. And they're pep band's wack too.

(sorry, former NEC membership flaring up)

Thank you sir. That is correct.

You can see the old institutional logos on page 10. This book is pretty good!

How much airbrushing was done to Judy on page 3?

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/ur/identity_standards.pdf

The USF with the drop S was actually the old institutional logo, and the "iron bull" as I believe I've heard it referred to (the diamond with the bull's head) was the old athletic logo. In the change that's being made, you're essentially switching the old institutional logo for the new athletic logo. The new institutional logo is the one that can be found in the upper left hand corner of usf.edu.

I love how in the demonstration of what NOT to do (changing the colors) they use Gators colors

Thank you sir. That is correct.

You can see the old institutional logos on page 10. This book is pretty good!

How much airbrushing was done to Judy on page 3?

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/ur/identity_standards.pdf

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

Ok.... fine... even though Athletics used the old "USF" logo... it truly was academic.  ANYWAY... to talk about the real substance of UCF boys comments.

Like I posted earlier... why do we need uniforms?

-Need changed out.... getting old (many very worn out)

-Band growing to be very big.... not enough uniforms

-Old logo.... I still think it doesn't look good

Now with that said... the director did not "blab" at all.  Judy herself "promised" the uniforms in open forum, many times.  She will still tell you that, but we are just trying to find the $$$ to fund it.  

So lets all stop being rude, and face the facts.... the band just needs new uniforms.  Just like the outdated, overcapacity CVPA buildings themselves, the uniforms are the same.

We just need to find $130,000 to do it.  All I need is five people to pay $27,000 each!  Any takers?  Sounds like a great tax break....

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

Car wash

Just show up to the first game in green shorts and white USF t-shirts with the new logo on them. Then explain to Judy that according to the standards "branding book" you are not permitted according to University Rules to use the old Institution Logo (see page 10). Therefore, when the people in the stands ask what happen to the band uniforms Judy will have to answer to them.

You wouldnt want to break university rules would you?

Ok.... fine... even though Athletics used the old "USF" logo... it truly was academic.  ANYWAY... to talk about the real substance of UCF boys comments.

Like I posted earlier... why do we need uniforms?

-Need changed out.... getting old (many very worn out)

-Band growing to be very big.... not enough uniforms

-Old logo.... I still think it doesn't look good

Now with that said... the director did not "blab" at all.  Judy herself "promised" the uniforms in open forum, many times.  She will still tell you that, but we are just trying to find the $$$ to fund it.  

So lets all stop being rude, and face the facts.... the band just needs new uniforms.  Just like the outdated, overcapacity CVPA buildings themselves, the uniforms are the same.

We just need to find $130,000 to do it.  All I need is five people to pay $27,000 each!  Any takers?  Sounds like a great tax break....