• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quarterback Competition Springing Up At USF

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

mainLogo.gif

Quarterback Competition Already Springing Up At USF

A Tribune staff report

Published: Mar 26, 2006

TAMPA - After only four practices, there already is movement on the University of South Florida's depth chart at quarterback.

Freshman Matt Grothe, of Lake Gibson, has pulled even with senior-to-be Pat Julmiste as the Bulls' No. 2 quarterback behind sophomore-to-be Carlton Hill.

"All three quarterbacks looked good [saturday]," USF coach Jim Leavitt said. "Carlton is one, Grothe and Pat are battling for No. 2. This is the first time in three years we've had serious competition like this."

Entering spring practice, Leavitt said Hill was the starter, followed by Julmiste, who has 23 career starts, and Grothe, who redshirted last season.

Grothe, however, has quickly moved up after another impressive performance during Saturday's scrimmage. Hill, who had missed the previous two practices because of class conflicts, remains the starter but was plagued by more fumble problems Saturday. In last year's Meineke Car Care Bowl, Hill lost two fumbles on consecutive plays.

Leavitt said the defense's effort was much better Saturday after allowing the offense to score on all eight goal-line possessions during Thursday's practice.

Cornerback Mike Jenkins, who was attending a funeral, and free safety Carlton Williams, who is out with a quad injury, did not practice Saturday. Backup running back Moise Plancher (hamstring) also remains out.

Defensive coordinator Wally Burnham said his top goal this spring is to establish a starting lineup. USF returns its starting linebackers and secondary with only the defensive line undecided.

Burnham said eight players - Allen Cray, Richard Clebert, Jarriett Buie, George Selvie, Tavares Robinson, Frank Harry, Wally George and Josh Julmiste - are rotating at tackle and end.

USF returns to practice Tuesday. The spring game is April 15 at 7 p.m. at Raymond James Stadium.

Brett McMurphy

Story Link

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,777
  • Days Won:  3

Freshman Matt Grothe, of Lake Gibson, has pulled even with senior-to-be Pat Julmiste as the Bulls' No. 2 quarterback behind sophomore-to-be Carlton Hill.

That's pretty interesting.  Wonder if there will be QB rotation this fall?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,666
  • Days Won:  29

EXCELLENT !!!

Now that it is public & talked about from the Coach ... I will speak some thoughts and some may be able to add that have attended practices also.

On another posts I said that I BULLieve GrothE will be starting by the end of 2006 - now I feel very good he will be our starter for UCF, if not b4 !

GrothE is a very smart QB (watched him quite a bit in HS while living in Lakeland b4 the move south and talked to insiders at Lakeland-Lake Gibson) ... since being at USF his brain has evolved into a college QB. This kid has learned the offense(a good reason why it was good Smith is here to keep the O the same). His senior year at Lake Gibson, he used some of USF plays into their playbook. So he has almost 2 years of this offense under his belt - a Great Advantage. GrothE used his RS year to know the playbook inside and out. He lives in the film room studying himself from practice, he studies the Big East Defenses and understands the reads and their tendacies. Film is not the same as playing, but he has the step up when he walks behind center.

Not 1 week of Spring Practice and GrothE is even with PJ. I BULLieve that by the end of Spring we will hear that GrothE can take the #1 position of he continues to develope in the Fall.

Hill has been missing practice(will not devulge the whole story in respect to him), but his fumbling IS a major problem that does not make sense to me. Not real sure of his ability to understand the playbook or how well he is with reading the Defense.

From what I have heard, PJ is similiar to last year ... passes low to the ground b4 the WR and overthrown. Coach yells for GrothE to come in ... Greg, Josh  & Brett please add more comments.

Hoping GrothE gets more snaps even with Hill now ... seems to be as we know Hill and GrothE are the future. Hill is an amazing athlete, we will see if he can become a top QB in college that we need.

I am hoping to hear that at the close of Spring Practice that we have a legit battle at QB from Leavitt, but expect GrothE to take the lead. It may be from game experices in the first 2 games, but see GrothE being our man in 2006.

DANG I am excited !!! And BULL Nation should be also.

Go BULLS !!!

0326bulls230.jpg

And BULLieve I read in the Greg chat transcripts that GrothE is about 210 lbs.

And maybe with him showing so much this Spring, he will get his #8 back.

Go BULLS !!!

Be sure to comment on Bretts blog ...

Keep in mind it’s really, really early into the University of South Florida’s spring drills - like only a week old - but redshirt freshman Matt Grothe has already made quite an impression on players and coaches. “He’s the best quarterback out here,†said one assistant. Said another assistant: “He’s a winner. All he does is win.â€Â

http://sports.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C127/

Also, Flip may be able to confirm this, but also understand Matt is scoring As & Bs in the classroom also.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

EXCELLENT !!!

(a good reason why it was good Smith is here to keep the O the same).

Go BULLS !!!

I sure hope you're right about that... I really hope he learned how to play call to our talents and not panic and "pull the trigger" so to speak on whoever is the starter.  The offense has been stagnant since Hobie (sp?) left.  I can't stress enough how important it is to let a new QB learn from his mistakes,  if we keep the yank and rotate method up, I don't see a good game time QB being allowed to develop.  

....  The offense has been stagnant since Hobie (sp?) left.  ...  

He has been gone 1 year ... maybe you mean Canales.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Hill, who had missed the previous two practices because of class conflicts, remains the starter but was plagued by more fumble problems Saturday. In last year's Meineke Car Care Bowl, Hill lost two fumbles on consecutive plays.

Uh huh, yup, and our wonderfully experienced top notch Offensive Coordinator is going to coach this problem out of him?  Hello, McFly...

...  if we keep the yank and rotate method up, I don't see a good game time QB being allowed to develop.  

Agree with you here.

After the first two games ... we NEED to have a number 1 QB and stick with him.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Pressbox/8121/dabucsdb/usfcarpa.htm

Hope our 2006 QB ends the season #4 on the all time passing yard leader - if not #3  8)

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

yes all A's and B's and one high C but he does not have any classes at night to hinder him (  ;))!!  this is great to hear he is on his way baby!!! I am so proud of him!!!