• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

All Eyes On QBs At USF

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

Published Tuesday, March 21, 2006

All Eyes On QBs At USF

By Patrick Zier

TAMPA

South Florida begins spring football practice here today, and for Coach Jim Leavitt, it's what's up front that counts.

USF fans will be closely following what happens at quarterback, where Pat Julmiste returns for his third season as a starter after taking some hits for inconsistent play last year.

But Leavitt has confidence in Julmiste and thinks Carlton Hill, a gifted athlete, can push him to perform better.

Hill is a bigger, faster version of Courtney Denson, who beat out Julmiste and started the 2005 season opener at Penn State.

Denson lasted only about a quarter, though, before Julmiste replaced him. From that point on, Julmiste was the man although Hill got more playing time as the season wore down.

Two others who will get a look are Lake Gibson's Matt Grothe, who red-shirted last year, and Grant Gregory.

Denson will get a shot at wide receiver.

While he will keep an eye on quarterback, Leavitt seems to think he has the players in place for things to work out there.

But the offensive and defensive lines are another matter entirely.

The Bulls lost the heart of their offensive line, guards Frank Davis, who could get a look in the NFL, and Chris Carothers plus center John Miller.

Defensively, they lost three of the four starters, ends John Simmons and Terrence Royal and tackle Tim Jones, who prepped at Kathleen.

"We've got to find some guys inside," Leavitt commented. "Especially at defensive end and center."

If Leavitt can come up with adequate replacements in the defensive line, South Florida could have an outstanding defense.

All the linebackers and defensive backs return from a team which ranked 17th nationally and 14th against scoring in 2005.

On offense, the replacements will essentially come from last year's backups. Matt Huners will likely be the left guard and Nick Capogna and Jake Griffin will get a look at center, with Griffin capable of playing the other guard spot.

Andre Hall, the running back who pretty much was the Bulls' offense last year, is another headed for the NFL and his backup, Ricky Ponton, will likely replace him.

Leavitt is looking for two junior college transfers, defensive tackle Frank Harry and James Jackson, to move in on the defensive line, although Jackson must still get into school and won't report until the fall.

It is worth noting that none of this year's recruiting class, other than JUCO transfers Harry and Jackson, are expected to play.

And that's not because Leavitt didn't bring in some good players. He did. But the Bulls are becoming a more mature team every year, with more talent, so it's becoming harder for freshmen to make an immediate contribution.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

It is worth noting that none of this year's recruiting class, other than JUCO transfers Harry and Jackson, are expected to play.

This is good and shows we are building depth.

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Why does everyone say PJ was so inconsistent? He was pretty consistent to me....

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

I don't really want to use the Bowl game as an example... so I'll use the entire season.... PJ can't get the ball to people-- a large majority of the time!  We have had great chances, and then mess em up at the goal line.

• Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  1,482
  • Days Won:  1

Why does everyone say PJ was so inconsistent? He was pretty consistent to me....

what are you talking about....half the time he one hopped it.....the other half it was way over their heads

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

what are you talking about....half the time he one hopped it.....the other half it was way over their heads

i sense a hint of sarcasm in his comment....

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,522
  • Days Won:  10

Published Tuesday, March 21, 2006

All Eyes On QBs At USF

By Patrick Zier

TAMPA

---snip---

Two others who will get a look are Lake Gibson's Matt Grothe, who red-shirted last year, and Grant Gregory.

Denson will get a shot at wide receiver.

---snip---

This contradicts the SID article where both Gregory and Denson were practicing with the DBs today.  Not to say this is where they'll stay, but you have to think that if they were in the QB hunt, they'd be working out at that positiion.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

i sense a hint of sarcasm in his comment....

Really?  I think he meant exactly what he said.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

and the man behind our QBs.....

304051.jpg

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

I meant exactly what I said.  he was consistently bad.  There was nothing inconsistent about it.  

Just because he completes a pass once in awhile doesn't mean he's somehow not bad.  Just like in "White Men Can't Jump" when Sydney says "The sun shines on even a dog's a$$ once in awhile.....  Not calling PJ a dog at all.  Great guy, great athlete, lousy QB.