• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wikipedia Article Speculates about USF Rivals...

Guest bullistic930

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  22
  • Days Won:  0

Collin, There is a forum on this board dedicated to USF vs. UCF.  About 1/5 posts somehow turns into a USF vs. UCF post - like this one.  If you think there isn't a rivalry you're kidding yourself.  And I for one think its a good thing, helps bring in fans for both teams and the game last year was a blast.  And explain to me the whole arguement that we've only played them once.  Vs. 3 times for Louisville - we're not exactly talking about Army vs. Navy here. 1,3, I fail to see a huge difference there.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  1,812

Back on topic, a true rivarly is born out of one team taking something from the other and visa versa. Auburn was on probation and could have lost every game that season but would have been happy to just beat Alabama and knock them out of SEC. USF has on two different occasions beaten UL when they had everything to play for, I travel a lot and know a lot of UL fans and they are pissed off about the loss this year it set their team back. This can develop into a big rivalry if we keep swapping games and knocking each other out of the BCS game. A loss to UCF has no effect on the BCS or BE standings. Most other regional rivalrys are in same conference and and that is why they are big, UF and FSU play for top 10 every year so that game means they can knock each other out of top 10 usually because it is last game of the regular season.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

i will be going to the game only to see usf play, i could careless who the team is we are playing.  as long as usf is playing i will be there.  freaknight, by the looks of the citrus bowl from the t.v. it sure looked like there were less than 52,000, no way you all had that many there and the stadium looking empty like it was.  maybe tickets sold were 52,000 but people in the stands much less.  knight_light, you can't go by that.  the student bulls club will most likely try and do our roadtrip to louisville, which was the overall agreement by everybody at our meeting.  people are going to drive over to the game only because usf is playing and we are diehard usf fans.  rivalries don't always have to be regional, and ucf is definetly not a rival

Ok Bullz...keep believing it.

Just WAIT to see how many Bull fans show up in Orlando....vs how many Bull fans show up at YOUR rivalry in Louisville.

Again...MANY USF STUDENTS have posted this fall/winter that the most "pumped" up game they felt this year was the UCF Game.

Why would that be?

Bottom line....the #1 ATTENDED Game at RJS wasn't your first EVER Big East GAme....vs the #9 Team in the NATION...no...it was UCF!! (by 12,000!!!)

Hey...one doesn't even have to use the "R" word when talking about UCF/USF....you can call it just the most "interesting" local game for the 2 schools...and the HIGHEST  home AND road attendance for either school.

Results are what counts...not what one even calls it.

KL

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  1,812

KL

You guys will have to be happy with Tulsa as a rival, I will go to the UCF game because it is close and I am good friends with someone in AD, I will also go to UL because I hate them and they brought 20,000 people here so I want to help return the favor.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Triple,

Obviously they were, there were maybe 20,000 people there for Louisville, and by that i mean ACTUAL bodies, not "tickets distributed attendence number."

Whereas for UCF there was legitimately 40,000+ actual bodies...

You tell me what sprung people's attention more...

FAMU .... maybe they should be our rivals.

There is a potential for an "on the field" rivalry between USF and UL, but between fans, no...we're not making UL jokes and saying "he must go to UL" when talking about someone doing something not so smart.

And WE'RE not making those types of jokes about UCF either except for a few who got tired of the Kanigits sticking their noses over here .....

Part of a rivalry is the fans just as much as the players. The biggest rivalries (minus ND/USC) are regional its the way it works.

Top Five Rivalries based on TV ratings last 10 years:

1) Michigan/Ohio State - Regional

2) Auburn/Alabama - Regional

3) FSU/ Florida - Regional

4) Miami/FSU - Regional

5) Oklahoma/Texas - Regional

I see a pattern.

While I'm not saying we won't develop a rivalry with UL, I think it could be like a VT/Miami or UT/UF a good interconference rivalry, however my firm belief NO MATTER how much MANY of you will deny it, is UCF. I think attendance makes the point.

Joe, there's no talking to you about this because you can't see the forest for the trees. If I recall you had a USF/UCF tailgate party. To YOU, and those like you, it will seem like a genuine rivalry because of your UCF friends ...

As nuke pointed out, those regional rivalries became real rivalries because the games meant something other than a pissing contest among fans. UCF joins the

BE and the potential for a huge rivalry is unlimited.

And back to my original point up there, if true that the students turned out in far greater numbers for UCF than UL, it's more an indictment of the cluelessness of our students than the evidence of more potential for a rivalry with UCF than UL .....

And the clincher in all this is how many students were tasered trying to storm the field after the UCF game?  ;)

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  580

Here's another thing inspire by some of the last few posts...

UCF and USF fans bases will be student driven - and this rivalry will be student driven.  

Triple almost makes "you had a USF/UCF tailgate party. To YOU, and those like you, it will seem like a genuine rivalry because of your UCF friends"  sound like a bad thing!

Maybe you guys would rather get 4 old guys around a grill talking about how you're going to kill yourself if USF loses to UCF...but meanwhile, there was a tailgate party on par with FSU/UF going on in the student lots.  We kind of took you buy surprise, but many of your students showed up and kept it real.  

The only thing some of you oldies got out of it was that you found a new thing to grumble about while stuffing your faces - garbage left in the lots - say it isn't freakin so.  Better call off the game.

It's just the state of our programs.  It's student driven and the students (Except for the ones in that bull club) had a blast on 9/17 and will have a blast on 9/16.  Someone will get in a fight, someone will break a bottle, but it's college.  The only thing people will be counting at the end of the day is the $$$$$ that the host athletics department just made off of it.

So the few of you that insist on being bitter, we'll be able to spot you a mile away at the tailgates...but we won't bother.  We'll be throwin around the football, getting hammered and then heading into the stadium with 60,000 of our best friends and worst enemies to show UF and FSU that there's another big game going on in the state.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

::)Or we could just play someone on our level.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Only time will tell whether or not this will be a rivalry.  However, it is not at this point.  Wait to see how many people show up from USF at the Citrus Bowl next year, that might give an indication of how many USF fans care.  I don't think it will be as high as some people here seem to think.

By the way, the UCF game was NOT the best attended game for USF at RJS last year, as several UCFers have claimed.

Like UConn?

To clarfiy my point: in 2004, USF lost (at HOME) to ARMY (ARMY!). Army was just one week removed from ending the longest losing streak in the nation. USF was TERRIBLE. They were no question about it worse in 2004 than UCF was in 2005. Now one year later, USF was decent (in fact,  they almost managed to post a winning season!), and while UCF lost to the Bulls, the Knights finished with a better record and also went to their first bowl game. I don't know where you get this arrogance from, but what makes you think USF is above playing ANYONE, and also what makes you think UCF will never improve?

I mean, who do you think is at "USF's level" if it's not UCF? Marshall? Bowling Green? Do you really see a difference between all those teams' national stature? You're kidding yourself if by "our level" you mean other BCS teams. Get the **** over yourself.