• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stirrups signs

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

said he had a 3.0

http://prepsports.tbo.com/prepsports/MGBOVM5VRCE.html

By the time he was a 16-year-old sophomore at Hillsborough High, Leslie Stirrups stood out among his classmates -- and it wasn't because he was 6-foot-4 and 290 pounds.

He could dunk a basketball, send kickoffs into the end zone and cover 40 yards in less than five seconds. He was playing on the Terriers' defensive line but had hands like a wide receiver and the agility of a running back. Coaches loved to give Stirrups the ball in short-yardage situations and he usually produced.

Between his athletic ability and his 3.0 GPA, Stirrups was a natural Division I prospect and the letters he was receiving from some of the top college football programs proved it.

But as longtime Hillsborough coach Earl Garcia can attest from personal experience, a lot can happen to a player between his sophomore and senior years -- and not all of it is good. Garcia is happy to report Stirrups has been able to maintain his focus and heads into his senior year ranked No. 15 among Rivals.com's preseason top 100 players in Florida.

"On the field, Leslie has always been gifted but I'm more proud of what he has done off the field," Garcia said. "Through the guidance of his mom Bonnie Wheaton, who has always been there when we've needed her help 24 hours a day, the light bulb came on with Leslie and he's matured tremendously. That's very rewarding as a coach to see happen."

Stirrups will be playing both ways, lining up at defensive end, defensive tackle or linebacker, as well as fullback. He's still 6-4, but has become a leaner and quicker player by dropping his weight to 275. With a bench press of 315 pounds and a squat of 565, Stirrups is stronger than ever.

The big difference for Stirrups this season should be Garcia's plan to use him more in the backfield. Expect to see him carrying the ball around 10 times a game and making room for Terriers feature back Jimmy Sapp. More importantly, Stirrups says his leadership role is increasing this fall.

"I've got to play hard and lead by example," said Stirrups, who was rated the No. 1 defensive lineman at the University of Miami's preseason camp. "We want to go places this year and I want to be one of the main guys who get us there."

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

GPA's mean nothing, a school can get you in with a 2.0, its the SAT, ACT, and State Standardized scores that are preventing him from being qualified at this moment. Josh Newberg said there still is a chance he could pass.

gpa does mean something as it is a sliding scale between the standardized tests amd gpa

Yes Chi, but when the player is outright flunking the tests, the GPA means squat.

Guest BullsFans

" Leslie Stirrups, a 6-foot-3, 265-pound defensive tackle from Hillsborough, chose the Bulls over Florida, Florida State and Georgia.

"I might as well come here and stay in my hometown, where my mom can see me play," said Stirrups, touted as a four-star recruit by scout.com. "I'm going to make some visits, but this is my school."

Stirrups said he'll need to improve his academic status to meet the NCAA's minimum eligibility requirement. He has a 2.3 grade-point average and took the SAT two weeks ago."

Source:  http://www.sptimes.com/2005/11/20/Sports/Bulls_on_the_radar_fo.shtml

Guest BullsFans
gpa does mean something as it is a sliding scale between the standardized tests amd gpa

If a student fails the FCAT he/she doesn't get a HS Diploma.  

How much will GPA mean without a diploma?

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Another casualty of the academic system... These academic standards are unfair and discriminate against stupid people that can play ball for a living. I'm sure there is some liberal commission that can sue USF for not letting stupid people in.

If a student fails the FCAT he/she doesn't get a HS Diploma.  

How much will GPA mean without a diploma?

true....i have no clue what the fcat is (graduated HS in NY where we have to pass regents exams) but if he were to get the sat score he needs could he get a ged and enrole?

though if he can't pass the fcat can he get the min sat score he needs?

In the state of Florida you have to pass the FCAT to receive your high school diploma. Its merely the state standardized test. Its not terribly hard, but for some kids, especially those who struggle with learning, it can be tough.

He will not graduate high school unless he passes the FCAT.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

generally the university pays for the prep school, which should say a lot.

if he can qualify for a learning disability, he can have someone "read" him the SAT...