• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UC foe better than its record

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060131/SPT0201/601310327/1035/SPT

Bulls have many close defeats

By C. Trent Rosecrans

Post staff reporter

A depleted roster, a losing streak and a dominating big man - sound familiar?

It's not the University of Cincinnati; it's South Florida.

The Bulls are looking for their first Big East victory and the Bearcats are looking to end a two-game losing streak tonight at Fifth Third Arena.

Despite USF's eight-game losing streak, five of their six conference losses have been by six or fewer points, including last Tuesday's 49-46 loss to No. 6 Villanova.

"I've got to give Coach (Robert) McCullum a lot of credit," UC interim head coach Andy Kennedy said. "This team hasn't won since Dec. 23, 2005. That's a long time, and yet they continue to battle and play very well. They've got a thin bench as we do, they're very dependent on a core of guys, but they're very, very close."

The Bulls (6-13 overall, 0-6 Big East) have just six players who have played in all 19 games, and have lost two players for the season because of injuries. Chris Howard was injured before the season even started, tearing his anterior cruciate ligament in an October practice, and Zaronn Cann aggravated a high-school knee injury in December.

Sophomore guard Collin Dennis has played in six games, including the last four, after suffering an ankle injury early in the season.

South Florida is led by senior center Solomon Jones, who is averaging a double-double, 13.2 points and 10.2 rebounds per game. He is second in the Big East in blocked shots to UC's Eric Hicks, with 3.26 blocks per game.

"They play five or six guys, it's a different set of circumstances, obviously," Kennedy said. "Unfortunately we're both dealing with a numbers issue. I'm not just saying this, I have a tremendous amount of respect for what they've done because it's very, very difficult to churn away when you're not being rewarded with wins. To their credit, they continue to fight and they'll be ready to play."

After two consecutive games in which the Bearcats have taken double-digit deficits in the first nine minutes, Kennedy said he's gotten frustrated.

"I'm disappointed that I can't help this group more," Kennedy said. "I'm frustrated that I can't do more for them. We are what we are. We've got to stay together and continue to fight and hopefully start shooting the ball a little better and I think that will heal some of our woes."

In their seven losses this season, the Bearcats are shooting just 35.5 percent from the field, as opposed to 46.9 percent from the field in their 14 victories.

"This is one of those games where we have to work on our mistakes that we're going through right now and get it together," said UC junior forward Cedric McGowan. "We'll be all right."

With a win tonight, the Bearcats would be back at .500 in the Big East before heading to West Virginia this weekend.

"(Tonight's) game is so important to this group," Kennedy said. "You can't give up home-court advantage. We have nine games remaining, five which are in this building. We've got to take care of business at home."

zoom.pbs&Site=AE&Date=20060131&Category=SPT0201&ArtNo=601310327&Ref=H1&Profile=1035

South Florida center Solomon Jones averages 13.2 points and 10.2 rebounds per game.

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

UC better record will destroy us!

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  894

Its a good thing we'll be able to watch this game on tv    ::)

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

with the way these two offenses are playing, the final score could be 40-39. I think we get our first BE win tonight.

definitely take the 13.5. that's an unbelievable number considering the way these teams have been playing lately.

5-1 ATS.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

with the way these two offenses are playing, the final score could be 40-39. I think we get our first BE win tonight.

definitely take the 13.5. that's an unbelievable number considering the way these teams have been playing lately.

5-1 ATS.

I'd stay away from my bookie regarding this game.  A pissed off Cinci team at home vs. USF which could be looking past the 'Cats to Depaul for a home win and having the weekend off.  Both teams are head cases IMO.   I'm rooting for the Bulls but my money is staying in my pocket.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Funny.  UC is in a worse sitruation than we are, with a brand new interim head coach, the same type of injury situation, playing in the same conference yet they are only one game below .500.  

Mac must go.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Funny.  UC is in a worse sitruation than we are, with a brand new interim head coach, the same type of injury situation, playing in the same conference yet they are only one game below .500.  

Mac must go.

Funny. I think this guy was left in a much better situation since Huggins did much more in building this program than SG did for ours. I don't think Mac was left with a perenial top 25 program??

Plus this guy is living off of Huggins leftovers. 5 of 7 top scorers this year are seniors. wait until next year.

They probably won't even make BE tourney this year. Imagine that, with the kind of history they have.

UofL needs to get rid of Petino too!! They're 2-6!!

You're comparing a perenial top 25 program with USF!! Hilarious.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Funny. I think this guy was left in a much better situation since Huggins did much more in building this program than SG did for ours. I don't think Mac was left with a perenial top 25 program??

Plus this guy is living off of Huggins leftovers. 5 of 7 top scorers this year are seniors. wait until next year.

They probably won't even make BE tourney this year. Imagine that, with the kind of history they have.

UofL needs to get rid of Petino too!! They're 2-6!!

You're comparing a perenial top 25 program with USF!! Hilarious.

Mac's top 3 scorers last year were Seth recruits.   :-/

I think anyone who knows anything knows Seth was a better recruiter than Mac is so the talent was there.

The only thing Cinci's coach did differently was not kicking every talented player off the team because he had a hair out of place.  

And don't kid yourself.  Cincy was in disarray last season as evidenced by our win over them.