• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Recruiting .......

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

obviously the problem with our closing skillz is where we dine our recruits. i'd suggest the wendy's next to the mons on dale mabry....

Denny's next to Mons at 4 AM, just after closing time.  Stripper central!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

"And we DID improve"

SAYS YOU

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  57
  • Days Won:  0

No, Smazz, says THE RECORD! Get a life, man. You've lost this one.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  1,812

you have to be pretty bad not to be a contender for big east crown when school is in tampa

wv man handled usf

usf lost to uconn

that should never happen

What does being in Tampa have to do with it?

The team improved no way around it, last year they lost to Army at home on homecoming and I think Army was winless at the time. This year beat UL at home big improvement.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1,633

Is it me, or does the true liberal in smazzy come out when he has lost an arguement?

Sezz you! says Smaz. (I can't get you with facts, so I'll fling invective, blame Leavitt, distort the record.) Say Bouncer, I think ya got a point there. Does sound like Pelosi, Reid, Dean, Gore, et al. & WWE's DickBrothers. The Dicks always have an excuse close at hand, now that you mention it, along with a bunch of "reasons" they shoulda won!

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  132

OK, I went back and looked at the record 6-5 ranked 56th in the country -1 win was against FAMU, 2 wins were against teams with a combined 5-17 record, 1 win against UCF (at the time it was in a 14 (or so) game winless streak, 1 respectable win (Rutgers) and 1 upset (Lville). Yes, the schedule was more difficult and they did make a Bowl game.

My concern is not the games they won (remember 4 wins were against very sub par opponents) it is the pattern they follow when they lose games that shows me there was very little improvement. If you look beyond the record you will see is the same mistakes occur year after year: bad offensive play calling, mental lapses by the coaches and the players, multiple turnovers per game, terrible QB play and poor route running and pass catching by the WR's. The mistakes this team continues to make do not allow them to win games they can, see Penn State, Miami, and UCONN, see I can be optimistic as well bullieving the Bulls could have beaten Miami and PSU. They never really had a chance against Pitt or WVU so I will leave them out.

I would only like to point out one more thing, the coorelation between how USF recruited last year and their record this year, finished 50th in recruiting and 56th in final rankings however for the optimists on the board the 56 final year end ranking is much better then last years.

I cannot, and will not, argue that the play-calling was bad at times, the play execution was terrible at times, the opponents were not world class (but our schedule is our schedule-lots of teams don't want to play us), mistakes were plentiful, and I, too, believe they could have won the Miami & PSU games. If it hadn't been for Hill's giving PSU 10(14?) quick points, we were in that game all the way. Dropped passes at Miami did us in, no doubt. Did the team improve? I think so, over-all. Learning can be painful, and we learned, I hope. But look at Leavitt's record overall. Nine years, first 100 games. I suspect, but can't prove, that an examination of the 1st 100 games of any school in the country will not reveal a record as good as Leavitt's. He has consistently gotten better each year, even in the losing seasons (2? 3?). Can we do better? We can and will. And, objectively, 6-5+bowl is better than 4-7 no bowl, no matter who we play. Just remember who we are, where we came from, and how long we've been on the trail. (My friends and I wanted football when I went to USF - we started a newspaper that was promptly kicked off campus after 4 or 5 issues, because we wanted football, and a stadium on campus. That was 1966-67. Were we ahead of our time? I don't think so. Just imagine, if we had gotten our way then; A campus stadium, a team with a 40-year history....But John Allen told me to my face that there'd never be a football team at USF as long as he had breath to fight it. And he was correct. But now he's gone, and I hope I live long enough to see us win bigtime!)  Bil

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we beat louisville and lost to uconn and pitt

west virginia toyed with us

and closed out year 3 straight losses

beating one good team isn't an improvement

nukebull-tampa is where a ton of talent is but leavitt lets it leave year after year

No, beating one good team isn't an improvement. Going 6-5+bowl IS, after a 4-7 year, in which we also beat one good team. But lost 7 games. Not 5. Stiffer competition, with guys we recruited 3-4 years ago when we were in CUSA. Give it some time; maybe a lot of time...and we WILL get where we want to be. A step at a time.