• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Storm loses again

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

They are 3-6, their season is all but over.  They have no reason not to start Blackwell the rest of season, just to see what he is capable of.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  442

As of right now Blackwell is in the organization as a wide receiver/defensive back....The season is not over yet but if they lose one more game then it is....But I agree to give Blackwell a chance and see if he can play in the league

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Saw Quell the other day leaving the practice fields at USF... we bs'ed but didn't bring up the Storm gig. Sorry... hadn't seen him in a while and wasn't really thinking about the Storm... we had beer on the mind and talked about DRube!

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Marquel was at the scrimmage on Saturday. I'm glad to see that he still takes such a keen interest in USF Football.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

The shame of the whole thing is that he should have gotten a shot at NFL Europe in the first place.

I'm glad he is contributing still to USF-- just like the rest of the good alumni do.

Hey Terry-- did he ever mention what kind of jack he gets for being on the practice squad? I know it isn't a lot but I'm sure it isn't squat either.

Mike...Funny you should mention that. I had a conversation with some pro player at the srimmage about salaries in NFL Europe, The Arena League and particulary Marquel Blackwell on the practice squad. He thought that Blackwell would earn at least $100,000, but that is above the norm because Blackwell was on the Jets roster and is a local star here in Tampa. He thought that DeAndrew would get between $300-400 thousand to play in NFL Europe. Maybe the Sheriff can tell us about that too if he knows.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

cream always rises to the top

given time

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

From a web article:

New York, January 10, 2000 -- Like their soccer brethren, arena football players are attempting to use the antitrust laws to remedy their grievances. It is a risky move.

A group of Arena League Players urged other players to form an association in hopes of forcing teams owners to improve salary and fringe benefits. Players' per-season salaries range from $20,000 to $75,000 per season  and the average hovering around $30,000. Players do not have any fringe benefits such as health insurance or pension plans. According to Arena Football League Commissioner David Baker,  the players' move has the potential of jeopardizing the 2000 season.

Instead of forming a collective-bargaining unit to negotiate a labor agreement for all players, the new association would use federal antitrust laws to force owners to increase compensation and benefits for the players. In a recent letter, Baker urged players to back away from forming an association, and consider forming a traditional union to engage in the collective-bargaining process that would lead to an agreement.

Baker said "the current effort by players to organize could result in a fatal blow to the game and the league because a protracted legal battle would thwart the league's progress in its growing relationship with the National Football League." League officials have also asked for a meeting with players to seek a solution to the problems without creating any legal turmoil.

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

Mike,

I just posted the article becuase it had a ball park figure. I thought I remembered when the league started they were paying very much. Those guys were getting free eats throughout the season and like 25k per year.  I guess some of the stars are making more but I doubt many of them are. 30-40k is better money than most of those kids will ever make again.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

i would think the salary ranges have increased since AFL has increased in popularity and they seem to have a decent tv deal in place now.  I highly doubt he is making a 100k on the practice squad though.  I would be surpirsed to see NFL players making that on a practice squad.  I think 25k and benefits would be a better estimate