• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

My suggestion for new OC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  106
  • Days Won:  0

Butch Jones

Wide Receivers

Butch Jones joined the Mountaineer coaching staff in January, 2005 after coming from Central Michigan, where he served as offensive coordinator and running backs coach for the past three years. He spent seven seasons total on the Chippewa staff; Jones was the tight ends coach in 1998 and wide receivers coach in 1999 before taking charge of the running backs.

Jones spent three seasons from 1995-97 (two as offensive coordinator) at his alma mater Ferris State; during that time, FSU won two Midwestern Intercollegiate Football Championships and advanced to the Division II semifinals in 1995.

He worked within the Tampa Bay Buccaneers organization as an intern from 1987-90 and began his college coaching career as a graduate assistant at Rutgers from 1990-92. He served as the offensive coordinator at Wilkes University from 1992-95 before returning to Ferris.

A 1990 graduate of Ferris State with a bachelor’s degree in business administration, he earned two letters in football before suffering a career-ending knee injury. A native of Saugatuck, Mich., Jones and his wife Barbara have two sons, Alex and Adam.

8)

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

I think you are on right track, I would expect leavitt to go to people he has coached w/ and hire one of their assistants.

Guest Bullsgobowling

While I'm no Rod Smith fan, i thought for the most part, he called a great game.  NC State has a great D and we moved the ball well.  PJ was just PJ. Rod Smith can't do anything about that.  I can't count how many times he had guys open and never even looked.  

I hate to rag on the kid because he has more heart them most.  I loved at the end of the game how he was running over people.  He would be a great OLB.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Called a great game?  No, called a good game in spurts.

Example, first half Andre picks up 9 on first down.  We are disorganized on 2nd and 1, and call a TO.  Come out of the TO in same formation (bunch with only one WR) and run left for 4-yard loss.  Now 3d and 5 run left again.  Punt.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

While I'm no Rod Smith fan, i thought for the most part, he called a great game.  NC State has a great D and we moved the ball well.  PJ was just PJ. Rod Smith can't do anything about that.  I can't count how many times he had guys open and never even looked.  

I hate to rag on the kid because he has more heart them most.  I loved at the end of the game how he was running over people.  He would be a great OLB.

I'm going to say this until at least some of you get it:

Rod Smith is RESPONSIBLE for PJ's play.  He had him from the get-go, coached him, and playcalled for him.  The OC is supposed to help tell the offensive players what to look for and do during practice.

If you've ever been to a practice, you'd know just HOW MUCH the failure at QB hinges on the former QB coach and now OC lame duck smith.  Maybe we'll get a better QB coach.  I hope so.  But with Smith's lack of help it's still going to be hard to groom somebody right...

Anyone wonder why good QB's don't want to come here?  We dont have the position coach available to make them BETTER.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Andre Ware was very critical of the offense.  When CHill came in give him an easy throw.  That option play that NCState read but PJ could not check out of.  After it happened for the 3rd time Ware just says "I guess he does not have any freedom to check out."  A couple other plays when WRs were absolutely uncovered and PJ didn't read it.  That is all coaching.

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

2 situations stood out in that game that stood out to me:

I believe it was the middle of the 4th quarter, obviously down 14-0. We were on the 35 or so. 3rd and 11.

Wouldnt you think that you would go with some sort of quick pass play?  Something simple and something that would cut the 11 yards in half. Get 5-6 yards on 3rd down, then you got 4th and 5-6 which is MUCH more manageable.

No.

We go with a draw play, sniffed out by the D, loss of yards. Now it's 4th and a mile......punt.

---------

2nd situation was what turned out to be our last drive. On the 1st play, with less than 2 minutes to play, ALL 4 WRs run 8 yard curl routes. WHAT?! 8 yard curls?!

You've got to be kidding me...

--------

oh, and one more thing, do our players know ANYthing about clock management?! Julmiste and Chambers both stayed in bounds fighting for 1 extra yard on that same drive...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,664
  • Days Won:  29

TE Coach Gregory has a lot of OC experience at Army.

Mike Tice is available  8)

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

I heard BigShoop was available...  8)