• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SG has NOT stepped up!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

we spent 10K on the bowl game.

Thanks...

considering how the budget process works... that isn't bad.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

You do speak some truth Mags. But we knew about the possibility of going to a bowl game. Plans should have been made, talk shopuld have been done around campus. It seems that if our students don't have the word Ybor around something, or free beer, they don't give a rats arsk! But you are right, hopefully we will learn, and the next SG regime may have some insight. SBC is the best offer out there. I encourage any student serious about USF athletics to join. It is a blast.  See you in Charlotte Mags!!!    Reaper

What would you like to see done? I'm serious. I am there and if you have any good idea's I will be happy to pass them along. I really want what my freinds at FSU and UF have when it comes to the campus caring about sporting events. I also wonder what the National average of students that travel to a bowl game is. I think you'll find that it is low at all schools.

Mag are you going with the SBC?

Never did I say that finals week was the week of the 3rd.  I said it was near it.

Second, had we beaten UCONN and been eligible then I'm sure alot more people would have gone since they didn't have to plan things at the last minute.

I'm not making excuses for anything.  I'm just saying that I think SG did try to get students to go.  Now had SG not done anything then I'd be ********, they at least offered packages.  It's not their fault if a student decides not to sign up.

BUT-- I'm SOOO excited for NC!  We're leaving at 12AM on the 30th to make it in time for all the festivities.  It'll be one hell of a trip, but I'm ready!  ;D

Oh and WoolyBull, thanks for clarrifying that.  I thought that was you as a guest poster.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

SG did have a great deal for students. But, sometimes just having a great deal is not enough if you don't promote it right.  Instead of bashing SG I'll just offer a suggestion that I hope they print out, save it, and implement it next year:

By the end of Oct '06 visit all the student organization meetings and give a brief 5 minute presentation on this year's bowl (how much fun was,etc) and talk about your tentative plans for that year's bowl ('06.)  I know plans can't be specific w/o a destination but at least you can tell them about your efforts to get the lowest possible price for transportation/accomodations. We can at least start making the students think of the bowl game before they buy their tickets to go home.

And since I know this is going to be brought up by the next poster I'll address it now: But we can't do that because we won't know our Bowl status by then!

And my answer to that: Who cares? It is just a heads up for the students. Yes we might not make it to the bowl but I'm counting on that we are.  Our bowl preparatives won't affect how our team plays on the field.  The sooner you get students to think "Bowl Game" the better our chances of them saving money, calling home, and creating the buzz necessary to sell over 7K tickets.  And if we don't make it to the bowl game at least the students will be looking forward even more to next year's season.

Next suggestion: An official Greek Hotel, and Greek Tailgate...

SG did have a great deal for students. But, sometimes just having a great deal is not enough if you don't promote it right.  Instead of bashing SG I'll just offer a suggestion that I hope they print out, save it, and implement it next year:

By the end of Oct '06 visit all the student organization meetings and give a brief 5 minute presentation on this year's bowl (how much fun was,etc) and talk about your tentative plans for that year's bowl ('06.)  I know plans can't be specific w/o a destination but at least you can tell them about your efforts to get the lowest possible price for transportation/accomodations. We can at least start making the students think of the bowl game before they buy their tickets to go home.

And since I know this is going to be brought up by the next poster I'll address it now: But we can't do that because we won't know our Bowl status by then!

And my answer to that: Who cares? It is just a heads up for the students. Yes we might not make it to the bowl but I'm counting on that we are.  Our bowl preparatives won't affect how our team plays on the field.  The sooner you get students to think "Bowl Game" the better our chances of them saving money, calling home, and creating the buzz necessary to sell over 7K tickets.  And if we don't make it to the bowl game at least the students will be looking forward even more to next year's season.

Next suggestion: An official Greek Hotel, and Greek Tailgate...

That actually is not a bad idea. I really like it. SG may not have been perfect here but this is our first bowl game and it is a learning experience for us as well.

• Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  996

To clarify... SG is #2 of PUBLIC universities, this does not include Miami and several other private universities that we currently compete with acdemically, athletically, etc., in the state.  ...and as an FYI...Univeristy of Florida doesn't enter.  

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

how the hell do you rank SG's?

and 10k? big deal... past SG's had 50k allocated for a bowl when we werent even going to one yet.  Cough up some more money to buy tickets and donate them to people in Charlotte just so our numbers sold is a little more respectable.  

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

How many students signed up for the $130 package ?

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

and 10k? big deal... past SG's had 50k allocated for a bowl when we werent even going to one yet.  Cough up some more money to buy tickets and donate them to people in Charlotte just so our numbers sold is a little more respectable.  

FWIW... the past SG's allocating $50000 was because that money was unused and they were able to request it be used for this purpose.  Unused money and SG are not the norm.  

that 50k was when it looked as if we were going to the hawaii Bowl which is a little more expensive than Charlotte.