• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bianchi article on FL universities attempts at non-compliance with public record requests - CFB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,895
  • Days Won:  2

Can move this if not appropriate, but thought it was pertinent to this page when talking about USF athletic department finances.

https://statesville.com/sports/college/mike-bianchi-florida-florida-state-athletic-departments-need-to-obey-freaking-law/article_57cdcb81-dcbd-5365-b9cc-4dc8540ed536.html

It’s a travesty that the athletic departments at Florida State, Florida and UCF have somehow, someway been allowed to establish themselves as separate non-profit direct-support organizations (DSO), which effectively shields them from the Sunshine Law.

Public money is pouring into these athletic departments in the form of student fees, fan and booster donations and, yes, UCF just received nearly $90 million in funding from the Orange County Tourist Development Tax. If that doesn’t make UCF’s athletic department a public entity, then I don’t know what does.

Sadly, our public universities should be a beacon of enlightenment and illumination but instead have allowed their football programs to drag them into the darkness of secrecy and suspicion.

• Like 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

Does our Athletic Department, and others in the state, fall under that same umbrella as a DSO?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

46 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Does our Athletic Department, and others in the state, fall under that same umbrella as a DSO?

Yes.  USF recently voted to make this change and join the others.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,895
  • Days Won:  2

2 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Yes.  USF recently voted to make this change and join the others.

I was paging you to respond (in my mind).  Thanks for confirming 👍 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

Another reason for athletics to branch off and be their own entity with NO public funding provided

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,439
  • Days Won:  19

Yeah, I never got how the university DSO is considered a state agency for sovereign immunity purposes but not for public records purposes.