• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Deepest Sympathy to the Dungy Family

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

Ron and Ian are on 620 reporting that the story is in fact true. They said he was 18 years old and was found dead this morning in his apartment, near USF, by his girlfriend. They hear that there are speculations of suicide. I will see if I can find out something more for you guys. My bro is a HCSO deputy in that area.

My prayers are with Coach Dungy and his family. What a tragedy.

Was he a USF student?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

good questions because finals just ended and you hear stories about kids that lose it during finals or after they get the grades back

• Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

Very ironic story from 3 weeks ago in the Times:

Be grateful for Dungy, good man with big heart

By FRANK PASTOR, Times Staff Writer

Published November 27, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He saw his former quarterback, Trent Dilfer, win a Super Bowl with the Ravens. He watched the Bucs ride the defense he built to a championship. And he didn't betray even the slightest bit of envy.

Now that Tony Dungy's Colts are off to the league's best start, let's be thankful the NFL's most beloved coach has a chance at its most coveted trophy before he leaves the league for good.

A father of five, Dungy has said he might not coach much longer so he can spend more time with his family. He missed much of his oldest son's childhood and doesn't want the same to happen with his other children.

Dungy, 55, doesn't need a championship to leave a legacy. He's done it with his All-Pro Dad program, which helps men become better fathers. With the American Diabetes Association, spreading the word about the disease that claimed his mother's life. And at home, showing it's more important to be a great parent than a great coach.

For the man whose biggest thrill was seeing Derrick Brooks and Warrick Dunn named NFL man of the year, let's be grateful that good men can finish first.

[Last modified November 27, 2005, 01:18:21]

The Tampa Trib has a guess book for the Dungy family to let them know we feel for their loss

http://news.tboblogs.com/index.php/news/comments/guestbook_james_dungy/P50/

• Topic Count:  1,103
  • Content Count:  1,741

Son of Colts' Coach Tony Dungy Found Dead 16 minutes ago

TAMPA, Fla. - James Dungy, the 18-year-old son of     Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, was found dead in a Tampa-area apartment, police said Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

No foul play is suspected, but a cause of death won't announced pending an autopsy, said Vida Morgan, a secretary in the Hillsborough County sheriff's office.

James Dungy's girlfriend found him when she returned to the Campus Lodge Apartments in Lutz, Fla., the sheriff's office said in a news release on its Web site. Police responded at 1:32 a.m. Thursday and performed CPR on Dungy before he was taken to University Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Tony Dungy has left the Colts and is in Tampa, according to NFL.com. The Colts (13-1) are at Seattle on Saturday; Indianapolis lost its first game Sunday against the visiting     San Diego Chargers, ending what had been a perfect season.

The coach and his wife, Lauren, have four other children: daughters Tiara and Jade and sons Eric and Jordan. James, their second-oldest child, was taking extension classes at the University of South Florida, Morgan said.

James Dungy spent his senior year at North Central High School in Indianapolis and graduated this year. C.E. Quandt, the school's principal, said Dungy was a personable student who never flaunted his father's position.

"He just came in and tried to blend in and be a student," Quandt said. "I liked James a lot."

Quandt said Dungy visited North Central a week or two ago to pick up a transcript. He said the death surprised and saddened everyone at the school.

"It kind of diminishes our school family," he said.

James stood 6-foot-7 and was sometimes was mistaken for one of his father's players, The Indianapolis Star reported on its Web site. James and his younger brother, Eric, sometimes watched Colts games from the sidelines, but they had to earn it by doing well in school.

Fans posted prayers and messages of support for Dungy, who also coached the     Tampa Bay Buccaneers, on a message board on a Colts fan Web site.

"Not only was he a great football coach for the Bucs, but he is an even better person," one Tampa Bay fan wrote. "It makes me sick that it happened at this time of year to a person that is so giving and caring."

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

I remember one of his sons (I'm not sure if it was James) would always be on the Bucs sidelines with him and would run out on the field to get the kicking tee after the Bucs kicked off.

Very sad news, indeed.  We'll be praying for the Dungy's.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  286

Was he a USF student?

According to this article the young Dungy was one of 45,000 students who attended the "commuter school, Hillsborough Community College."  

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051222/SPORTS03/512220475

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

Tremedously tragic situation. My heart goes out to the Dungy's.

FYI, I have a source very close to the situation who has informed me that it was suicide by hanging, what a shame, what a loss.