• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Basketball win total this year?

Basketball win total this year?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  779
  • Days Won:  2

5 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Last year:

1. In the 3-pt loss to SEMO, we shot 47% from the FT and and 21% from deep. Tchewa had 1 block.

2. In the 1-pt loss to Stetson, we shot 54% from the FT and Tchewa had no blocks.

3. In the 2-pt loss to Austin Peay, we shot a respectable 70% from the FT but shot 29% from deep, while they shot 41% on many more attempts. Tchewa had no blocks. You can call it an anomaly with how well Austin Peay shot from deep, but if we could have hit one or 2 more from deep, then it could have been a different outcome. This squad is a much better shooting team from deep.

4. In the 6-pt loss to UMass, we shot 65% (13-20) from the FT and 25% (4-16) from deep. Tchewa had 1 block.

5. In the 4-pt loss to Temple, we shot 58% from the FT and 23% from deep. Tchewa had no blocks.

6. In the 4-pt loss to Wichata St, we shot 68% from the FT and 17% (4-23) from deep. Tchewa had no blocks.

7. In the 6-pt loss to Houston, we shot impressively (better than Houston did); however we turned the ball over 11 more times than they did and the whole team had 0 blocks.

8. In the 3-pt loss to Temple, we shot 38% (8-21) from the FT and Tchewa had no blocks. 

9. In the 2-pt loss to SMU, we shot 69% from FT and 33% from deep and Tchewa had no blocks. The shooting was decent; the problem was that SMU shot 44% from deep.

So, to recap, in 9 games, Tchewa managed just 2 blocks. And it is not like he is not getting blocks but is altering a lot shots. He was not even attempting to block shots. I got tired of seeing guards driving to the hoop and scoring as Tchewa did nothing to protect the rim. 

And look at how poorly we shot in those games from the free throw line and from deep. Except for one of those games, it was horrible. If we could have hit a couple more free throws and a couple more 3 pointers, which would have still been horrible shooting, we could have had 9 more wins last year.

I know some of you think I just pull stuff out of nowhere, but I typically look at things in great depth to draw my conclusions. I hope that what I presented here brings optimism to all.

Anyone care to guess where we ranked in our conference last year in shooting?

We ranked 10th out of 11 in FT% and 9th out of 11 in blocks. We led the conference in turnovers. On a national level, we ranked 345th out of 363 teams for FT%.

4 hours ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Anyone care to guess where we ranked in our conference last year in shooting?

We ranked 10th out of 11 in FT% and 9th out of 11 in blocks. We led the conference in turnovers. On a national level, we ranked 345th out of 363 teams for FT%.

The year before, we ranked last in the conference in both FT and 3PT shooting. Every team in the conference shot at least 31% from deep. We shot 25%. On a national level, our FT% ranked 328 out of 358 teams and dead LAST from deep. The second worst team shot 2% better than we did. That year they lost 8 games by 9 points or less. There were a lot more blowout losses, which is understandable with a worse shooting team. No doubt that Harris alone was largely responsible for the improvements in shooting year over year. Tchewa blocked 6 shots on the season.

That being said, in a game where your wins depends on making baskets and preventing baskets by the other team, don't you think that, if we lost a lot of close games with being one of the worst shooting teams in the country, there is a good chance we could have won 20 games last year with even just a slight improvement in shooting and in protecting the rim?

In 4 seasons, Placer has averaged 80% FT (76% lowest season) and 36% 3PT (32% lowest season). Youngblood in 3 seasons has averaged 82% FT (79% lowest season) and 39% 3PT (33% lowest season and 2 seasons straight of 40%+). Pryor, who is also a 70%+ FT and 30%+ 3PT shooter will probably see lots of minutes. Ogunleye, Tobiloba, and Jones are all better rim protectors than Tchewa.

So, does anyone still think that 20+ wins is not attainable? I would appreciate your thoughts to this question.

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

26 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

The year before, we ranked last in the conference in both FT and 3PT shooting. Every team in the conference shot at least 31% from deep. We shot 25%. On a national level, our FT% ranked 328 out of 358 teams and dead LAST from deep. The second worst team shot 2% better than we did. That year they lost 8 games by 9 points or less. There were a lot more blowout losses, which is understandable with a worse shooting team. No doubt that Harris alone was largely responsible for the improvements in shooting year over year. Tchewa blocked 6 shots on the season.

That being said, in a game where your wins depends on making baskets and preventing baskets by the other team, don't you think that, if we lost a lot of close games with being one of the worst shooting teams in the country, there is a good chance we could have won 20 games last year with even just a slight improvement in shooting and in protecting the rim?

In 4 seasons, Placer has averaged 80% FT (76% lowest season) and 36% 3PT (32% lowest season). Youngblood in 3 seasons has averaged 82% FT (79% lowest season) and 39% 3PT (33% lowest season and 2 seasons straight of 40%+). Pryor, who is also a 70%+ FT and 30%+ 3PT shooter will probably see lots of minutes. Ogunleye, Tobiloba, and Jones are all better rim protectors than Tchewa.

So, does anyone still think that 20+ wins is not attainable? I would appreciate your thoughts to this question.

Any stats from previous USF teams are meaningless. Very few players have returned and the brand of basketball will be different under our new head coach. 

Most of these transfers are coming into a much better conference than they have played in before. One would expect some sort of drop-off for each as they player better competition. 

I hope you are right that we win 20 games, I would be shocked if that happened. My question for you is if we only win 12 or so, does that mean our coaching hire was a complete bomb? I mean we have all this talent, according to you.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,045
  • Days Won:  10

Looking more closely to the schedule it is one bound with opportunity for a turn around. I see  a minimum baseline line  of at least 15 wins.

We should beat South Carolina State, Central Michigan, Northern Iowa, Maine, Hofstra, U Mass, Arkansas Pine bluff, Loyola, Albany, Alabama State, Tulsa (twice), UTSA( twice). 

2 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

Any stats from previous USF teams are meaningless. Very few players have returned and the brand of basketball will be different under our new head coach. 

Most of these transfers are coming into a much better conference than they have played in before. One would expect some sort of drop-off for each as they player better competition. 

I hope you are right that we win 20 games, I would be shocked if that happened. My question for you is if we only win 12 or so, does that mean our coaching hire was a complete bomb? I mean we have all this talent, according to you.

Are they really coming to a better conference? We lost 3 games to the ASUN last year. If we only win about 12 games, you would have to look at other factors. For example, did certain key players sit the bench? I seriously doubt that will happen. This team is just flat out more talented than last year's team. I also think the coach is better than last year's coach. Youngblood averaged 14.7 ppg but scored 20 pts on 8-13 shooting against the Gators. By your argument, he should have done worst against them.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

22 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

This is why I cringe when, what I consider, outrageous predictions are thrown out there ..... I'm just hoping he doesn't have to answer that question.

30 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

Youngblood's highlights, including 11 points against the Gators. Just watching this shows the skill level he has that no one on last year's squad can match.

• Like 1

Gee, I guess we have been bad for so long, my attempts to get everyone pumped is not working. Here are highlights for Placer. Forget his accuracy, quick release, and range from deep. Forget his ball-handling skills and vision. What impresses me the most is his ability to drive to the hoop and consistently score against much taller players. It is obvious that he is very skillful in the timing of his shot release and the placement of ball. These are skills that are rarely see. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

21 minutes ago, Triple B said:

This is why I cringe when, what I consider, outrageous predictions are thrown out there ..... I'm just hoping he doesn't have to answer that question.

Wait until we blow our Edward Waters tomorrow ... probably change to an undefeated prediction 😂

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

3 and D is the name of the game now.

if we can do both better than we should see more success.

look at FAU's roster. It's built on shooters.

37% from 3 and 72% from line

28th in team defensive efficiency