• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Was anyone else disappointed w/football team?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

that was actually a little funny

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433
  • Days Won:  0

It shouldn't be a matter of JL having to enforce it...it should be an Honor Code thing across Univerity athletics, but....it's not the USMA (Military Academy) it's USF.  It's nice to see the NBA has taken some action on off the court dress, maybe it will become more vogue to look like you have class across the board.  Face it, America gets its fashion tips from the NBA, Hollywood and MTV, not from Church, unfortunately.

Guest Sprtsfn627
I heard what some of the Michigan fans were saying and I was a little embarrassed

The same Michigan fans that throw bottles on the field when they don't like a call?  Besides, do you really think they have all clean cut guys on their team? They're naive or full of it if they think our guys are worse then theirs.

I do think there should be some sort of policy of a dress code for athletes, as they are representatives for the university.  But it's not my call.  I really don't think they looked that bad out there.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

it's a tradition that I don't see as hazing-- everyone had to do it

Are you saying it is not hazing because everyone had to do it?

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I do think there should be a dress code.  I also think CJL does not do a good job of keeping his team disciplined.  It is clear when we play by the number of penalties we take as a result of poor discipline (late hits, removing helmets on the field, procedure, etc).  

That being said, we probably do get a lot of talent that like CJL's more "I am your best friend" style of coaching.  It wasn't the football team that was embarrassing on Saturday.  They could have came out wearing clown shoes and poke dot underwear and not been as embarrassing as the basketball team.

• Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

I think players and coaches should wear appropriate clothes while representing.

Simple perception.

Remember a story about Coach W at UCLA when Walton said he wasted gonna shave and get a haircut ... Coach went went into a long deal about how he respected his choice and it's America and all, then said, "We're gonna miss you."

;)

It's a coaches/school decision, not a player's choice.

• Topic Count:  687
  • Content Count:  7,660
  • Days Won:  6

Yes, at the time it crossed my mind that they looked like thugs.  I actually felt a little bit embarrassed for them.  I think the older donors on level 1 were a bit taken back as it took them a while to acknowledge the players and then it was half-hearted applause.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Like it or not our athletes are the face of this university.  The image that our student athletes have portrayed has been bad for some time now.   To go out to center court with your pants falling down at a school function is not only embarrassing for the players, but disrespectful to the University.  

I've gone to ALOT of USF games with ALOT of people who know nothing about our University in relation to any other university.  Each time they've commented on how thuggish and 'hood our players look.  

I've seen several of our student athletes in civilian clothes and needless to say if I had kids, I wouldn't be bringing them up for autographs.  The saddest part is that the majority of student athletes at USF DON'T CARE  how much kids and even us alumni look up to them.  They gotta "keep it real" and that's all that matters.   ::)  

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

I dont see it as thuggish. I see it more like a hip hop style. Dont forget that these are still kids, so they are going to wear what is in style whether it looks bad or not. As long as they stay out of trouble then they should be fine with everyone IMO.