• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New Verbal!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

We need BIG BIG beef for O line next year.  

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

Based on my dynasty in NCAA 06, I quickly realized that DL depth was a HUGE issue in '06 and '07.

;)

Good to see us filling those holes early...

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

Based on my dynasty in NCAA 06, I quickly realized that DL depth was a HUGE issue in '06 and '07.

;)

Good to see us filling those holes early...

All I almost ever recruit in-season are linemen.  If you rack up stats, recruiting skill positions is easy in the offseason.  You'll see things like 7-8 OL a few DL and the rest good defensive needs on my 15 recruited in-season.  Owns.

Of course, just win a NC and put some points in recruiting and you can get a top 15 class with almost any team.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,747
  • Content Count:  37,637
  • Days Won:  29

Recruit pursuit includes Artichokes

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published December 7, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the celebration continued Saturday night in a locker room at Raymond James Stadium, moments after Jim Leavitt accepted an invitation for USF to play in its first bowl game, the Bulls coach turned around to have an important conversation with a pair of artichokes.

Artichokes, as in the Fighting Artichokes of Scottsdale (Ariz.) Community College, where defensive linemen and Bulls recruits Byron Honore and Gerard Lee play.

"Right now, South Florida is one of my top schools," said Lee, a 6-foot-3, 245-pound defensive end who had 9.5 sacks this season and has visits scheduled to Oregon State and Auburn.

The Bulls also covet Honore, a 6-3, 260-pound tackle, and to get a sense of how USF has upgraded its recruiting aspirations, Lee, Honore and fellow lineman Louis Holmes were visited Monday on campus by USC coach Pete Carroll.

"These are big-time players, just outstanding kids," Artichokes coach Ken Giovando said.

Holmes, a Fort Lauderdale native, might be the nation's top defensive lineman, and Florida is still in the hunt for him.

But the Bulls hope to land his two teammates, who both hail from New Orleans and could be a package deal for the next two years.

The Bulls had another intriguing pair of junior college prospects in for a visit Saturday, quarterback Jimmy Oliver and defensive lineman Frank Harry of Pearl River (Miss.) Community College.

The Bulls signed linebacker Gene Coleman from Pearl River last year, and though Coleman didn't qualify academically, they hope for better luck with his teammates. Harry (6-3, 285) will graduate in December, and according to usfnation.com, he committed to the Bulls on Tuesday.

Oliver is a prolific passer - he threw for 623 yards and six touchdowns in one game this season - and coach Tim Hatten thinks he's a better prospect than former Tennessee quarterback Brent Schaeffer, who considered the Bulls last year before attending a California junior college.

"He's the biggest sleeper out there," said Hatten, who said Oliver also is considering TCU and Louisiana Tech.

With Bulls coaches occupied in December as never before, recruiting is a priority. Leavitt was on the road Sunday and went back out with his coaches Tuesday, hoping to build on a strong start that includes 12 commitments.

Greg Auman covers USF athletics. He can be reached at auman@sptimes.com Check out his "USF Bulletin" blog online at www.sptimes.com/blogs/usf

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

Didn't the Bucs draft a WR from Pearl River CC last year? I hope these guys pan out. We are really going to miss Tim Jones next year.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

RHB ... Bucs drafted Larry Brackins from Pearl River in April, but he got hurt and didn't make the team ...  good memory.

greg

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

Oliver is a prolific passer - he threw for 623 yards and six touchdowns in one game this season - and coach Tim Hatten thinks he's a better prospect than former Tennessee quarterback Brent Schaeffer, who considered the Bulls last year before attending a California junior college.

now that is the kind of QB we need?

land him and we would move to a whole other level...scary good!

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

RHB ... Bucs drafted Larry Brackins from Pearl River in April, but he got hurt and didn't make the team ...  good memory.

greg

He made the team for a few weeks then was cut i think week 3 to make room for Mark Jones and now is on the practice squad