• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Amir Abdur-Rahim named the 2022-23 Hugh Durham National Coach of the Year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,486
  • Days Won:  0

10 hours ago, JTrue said:

xCOA was one of the nation's top recruiters once, too. Just saying...

We're all aware of how Kentucky has dominated the recruiting scene since the arrival of John Calipari and his team. The CATS have led the nation this year and last. It's also...

A lot easier to recruit players to Kentucky than Kennesaw State.... 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,537
  • Days Won:  422

10 hours ago, JTrue said:

"Younger, hip, full of energy, and relatable to recruits" was the part I was linking to "too."

Got it ……. but do agree with IB that it was a not so favorable link. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,024
  • Days Won:  10

10 hours ago, IBulleve said:

I understand the point, but this is very different. COA (and Scott) were awarded and well regarded for recruiting only. Both at premier programs with national brands that do a lot of the recruiting for you. Their true coaching ability was always a question. 

Rahim is well regarded (and now awarded) for his ability to coach first and foremost, while also proving he has what it takes to rebuild a program without a national (or even local) brand. 

We will see what the results end up being, but I see Scott and COA as more similar than anything to do with Rahim 

Do players really decide to go to a certain program because of a particular assistant? I would think that the Head Coach or the program brand would be the most important factor of their decisions. Certainly assistants do the leg work so I am not doubting their contribution as well. Really why I never am in favor of hiring an assistant with no HC experience ( in basketball) since its hard to assess their contribution.

Its different for football because of the specialty and amount of work that goes on each side of the ball ( defensive coordinator, offensive coordinator, special team). HC in football sometimes is more of a managing and delegating position. Maybe its the same for basketball  and I am just underestimating it.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  186
  • Days Won:  1

After listening to him, I’m very encouraged . He is definitely motivated and seems to have a clear, huge vision , let’s see if he can execute.

That being said with the recent history of this program, we have to wait and see.