• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

First UCF, Now FAU..... Jeez.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

FAU plan requires LEGISLATIVE action. If you think for a minute the legislature is going to pass a bill giving money to the "historically powerful" FAU, you have another thing coming. Their alumni base is miniscule and the only power player they have, Scnhley, really isn't much of a power pleayer any more.

USF needs to wait until the time is right and build a state of the art facility, not rush and try and cut costs at all corners. I personally like going to RJS for the games. The atmosphere is nice, the amenities are top notch and it is centrally located in Tampa to attract all of the PAYING fans, like myself. The ONLY financial downside to not having an OCS is not getting to keep the parking and concession revenues.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FAU plan requires LEGISLATIVE action. If you think for a minute the legislature is going to pass a bill giving money to the "historically powerful" FAU, you have another thing coming. Their alumni base is miniscule and the only power player they have, Scnhley, really isn't much of a power pleayer any more.

USF needs to wait until the time is right and build a state of the art facility, not rush and try and cut costs at all corners. I personally like going to RJS for the games. The atmosphere is nice, the amenities are top notch and it is centrally located in Tampa to attract all of the PAYING fans, like myself. The ONLY financial downside to not having an OCS is not getting to keep the parking and concession revenues.

Office of the president

President's Biography

brogan2.jpg

Frank T Brogan

Frank T. Brogan became the fifth president of Florida Atlantic University in March 2003. Previously, he was lieutenant governor of Florida , the state's commissioner of education, superintendent of schools in Martin County, Florida, and a principal, assistant principal, dean and fifth-grade teacher in Martin County public schools.

President Brogan and his twin brother, John, were born in Cincinnati , the youngest of six children. The first member of his family to graduate from college, President Brogan received a bachelor's degree in education magna cum laude from the University of Cincinnati in 1976. Two years later, he moved to Florida to teach at Port Salerno Elementary School on the Treasure Coast . He continued his education at Florida Atlantic University , earning a master's degree in education in 1981. In rapid succession, he became dean of students at Indiantown Middle School, assistant principal and then principal at Murray Middle School, Martin County's superintendent of schools, Florida's Commissioner of Education (the youngest person ever to hold that office), and, in 1999, lieutenant governor on the Bush-Brogan ticket. He had just been elected to a second term as lieutenant governor when he decided to seek the presidency of his alma mater, Florida Atlantic University .

President Brogan has been a champion of public education all his life. He considers his most important achievement as commissioner of education to have been building greater accountability into Florida 's public school system, and he is a strong advocate of accountability in higher education as well. His goals for Florida Atlantic University include supporting its continued growth as an important center of teaching, research and public service activities; increasing access to higher education across the University's seven-county service region; encouraging diversity in FAU's student body, faculty and staff; supporting world-class research initiatives; fostering close, mutually supportive relationships with the communities the University serves; and making FAU an ever-stronger engine of economic development for South Florida.

In addition to championing education, President Brogan has served as a leader for other important causes. During the past few years, he has become especially involved in the fight against cancer - a disease that claimed the life of his first wife, Mary. He has used his remarkable speaking ability to crusade in the fight against breast cancer, and he currently serves as statewide chairman of Florida 's Dialogue on Cancer. He has received a public service award from the Pioneers in Prostate Cancer.

President Brogan is married to Courtney S. Brogan, who has a law degree from Florida State University . They are the parents of Colby John Brogan, born in 2005.  

Just in case you didn't realize that FAU is the most politically connected university in the state.

Brogan left the administration because he was not getting along with Bush. He is in political disfavor with the state Republican party, but I did forget that he was their president now. Good catch.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

ya and if the stadium wasnt off campus, you'd get sellouts,

I hope we'd have bigger than a 25K seat stadium ........!

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

This statement shows just how naive and ignorant you really are.

How can you pick just one statement out of so many? I thought the one about FAU passing us by trumped this one .............

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  709

Except we'd have to pay the debt on the stadium.

Done correctly (ie UCF's way), this will be easy to do.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  562

FAU has modeled their effort after UCF.  You will see more and more universities do this type of "athletic campus" mixed in with commercial type development.

UCF has set the precedence and others will follow.

Oh, and not EVERYTHING cee says is false.  You may not have more fans at the games and yes your students enter for free, HOWEVER, the money they spend AT the games could go to USF and not the Glazers.  And that can be a huge windfall for USF.

UCF will soon gain all that revenue.

i think the UCF plan is genius.. i love the idea of making more of an urbanized development on and around the on campus stadium-- it really speeds up efforts to shed the commuter school image that everyone at UCF/USF dislikes.  i wish USF could be more proactive in getting something like that done.. the area in USF along holly and around those ridiculous greek "housing" (not actual houses, but frat dorms) would be a great area to stick a stadium as well as restaurants and maybe even an on campus bar..

the problem with the people on this message board is that they think the UCF plan is dumb simply because IT IS UCF--something that is juvenile, if you ask me.. as much as there are bright minds behind USF's football program, there are bright minds behind UCF's program as well.  its upsetting that, not only is an on campus stadium (as well as an on campus village that would come with it) not in the plans, but no one on this message board cares that its not in the plans-- proposals from UCF and FAU should be raising awareness flags across the USF community that we should at least be thinking of these things

Brogan left the administration because he was not getting along with Bush. He is in political disfavor with the state Republican party, but I did forget that he was their president now. Good catch.

I recall it differently... at the time I was working for the Legislature in Tallahassee.

He wanted kids since he and his first wife did not have any before she passed away.

Regardless of the reason for leaving, Brogan still has more influence in Tallahassee than any other university president -- including former Democratic House Speaker TK Weatherall (FSU president) and former Republican Mayor Peyton (UNF president).

Besides, Brogan is the reason why the Scripps Institute went directly to Palm Beach County instead of having cities/counties negotiate for it.  Personally, with Moffitt and USF's medical school, it certainly would have made more sense to bring it to Tampa.... but Brogan was able to swing the deal with Jeb.

If anyone can get the law changed to allow university facilities to have the same benefit as professional team and spring training stadiums, it would be Brogan.

Cee,

You know that an OCS is not in the plans how?

Are you Woolard's illegitimate love child?

I believe there are "plans" for an OCS, the school is simply waiting for the right time to pursue it. Listen to the talk, the powers that be want one, the fans want one, the athletics department wants one, it is just a matter of time and doing things right. The last thing I want is to sacrifice the progress we have made with a dumb investment in an OCS scheme that could hinder our growth. Let those in power with the knowledge and the expertise decide and lets sit back and ENJOY OUR BULLS ROMP TO THE BCS!!!!!

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

not only is an on campus stadium (as well as an on campus village that would come with it) not in the plans, but no one on this message board cares that its not in the plans-- proposals from UCF and FAU should be raising awareness flags across the USF community that we should at least be thinking of these things

Wait a minute...is there some really great reason why you haven't called Genshaft & Woolard about this ? It was my understanding that you were spearheading this effort ? What's the delay ? Or have you just not posted the gist of the conversation yet?

Face it cee...if you want to strengthen your keyboarding skills...keep harping on the OCS. You have yet to sway one person's opinion on this board and you are - with alarming speed - becoming the one-trick-pony of bullspen.com.

I doubt Genshaft & Woolard are around this week. Try getting them in early December and let us know what you find out.

Anxiously awaiting your response... 8)