• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brian Gregory "news"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  1

On 3/26/2022 at 4:38 PM, John Lewis said:

Not sure I would qualify someone as “hardcore”, who has mentioned on multiple occasions that they are dropping their season tickets.

I don't think he was including me in that comment.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

6 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

Cubanbull,  You said "the only ways to grow them, is by getting students involved AND winning...".  I think we probably agree on almost everything that has been debated here.  I just think WINNING is more important and will lead to more student involvement at Ray Jay or an OCS.  I just don't have the confidence in the AD and the "powers that be" to think they can do both simultaneously.  Personally, I think "a shiny new OCS" is somewhat to get fans, alumni, etc. to focus less on the dismal performance of the FB and MBB teams right now.

But I will admit that I really do think if USF was winning BIG and filling RayJay that the place would be full and rockin' and fun and energetic and.....  I'll also believe that a WINNING program that is pretty much the only one playing in an NFL Super Bowl caliber stadium could actually be a recruiting plus.  Furthermore, if going to games was FUN (and no one likes losing) students would go.  They use to go to MBB games at the Sundome (I know because I was there too) but pretty much not anymore.  There's been a LOT of games when there were more members of the BAND at a game than students.

I'm not totally against an OCS.  I just think a 100% total focus on  winning is what's needed right now.  An OCS is a distraction that a bottom feeder doesn't need at this time.  If they start winning that would be the time to consider whether an OCS makes sense/cents or not.

I think that no one will tell you that an OCS replaces winning. I also do not think that USF gets involved in building a 200 million plus OCS to distract anybody. As I stated on my previous post as long as I have been a donor to the program since 1982, USF’s Athletics have been slow and very frugal in moves, in fact in most peoples mind way to slow and frugal. So an OCS of that cost is not something USF takes on unless a huge donor is funding it, which we know is not the case, or a Power Conference has told USF you need one to be chosen. This is something I heard repeatedly since football started at USF by those in power. 
And yes an OCS for a USF winning football program does more in building student and alumni support than RJS. RJS will always be the Bucs home, it never even when we were beating WV in a packed stadium felt like a college atmosphere.

So there you have it.

#1 USF MUST win, first and foremost, but doing that doesn’t preclude building an OCS

On 3/26/2022 at 4:51 PM, Friscobull said:

He is using the savings of the cancellation to go to Raiders games in Vegas.  I think he mentioned this a half dozen times.

Hope you're not referring to me.  If you so your reading comprehension skills need some attention (just like your ego).  I've never been to Vegas, I don't gamble, I have not mentioned the Raiders even ONCE but I did play at the Raiders more than once so there is that.  Was that brief enough and "dumbed down" enough for you?

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

Rick PITINO 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,919
  • Days Won:  67

7 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

Hope you're not referring to me.  If you so your reading comprehension skills need some attention (just like your ego).  I've never been to Vegas, I don't gamble, I have not mentioned the Raiders even ONCE but I did play at the Raiders more than once so there is that.  Was that brief enough and "dumbed down" enough for you?

I was referring to USFRaider, try to keep up Skippy, appears you have taken one too many hits to the head, you are angry bro, CTE is for real. 

5 hours ago, Bear said:

When USF was winning, is when they should have invested in the football program (IPF, OCS). The program was short-sighted and settled for mediocrity. 

This is correct

And there it is "When USF was winning, is when they should have invested in the football program (IPF,OCS).  That's what I've been getting at from the beginning.  They need to focus on winning NOW, stadium later.  The comments from people saying they want BOTH right now give the impression they think they are at a buffet and they can just get whatever they want.  But I do keep pointing out that IN MY OPINION a winning program at Ray Jay could be FUN, energetic, well attended, a recuiting plus, etc.

I have not put this out there before but I have asked some of the guys from my playing days their opinions of being recruited in high school and potentially playing in a pro stadium when they were in college.  I have not put this out before because the question was obviously asked after their playing days were over but a huge number of them said playing in a pro stadium would be a neutral or POSITIVE factor.  Only a few said not playing on campus was a negative for them.  And all of my college contacts are Big 10 while my pro contacts are lots or schools and lots of conferences big and small.  Again, for what it's worth.

23 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

I think that no one will tell you that an OCS replaces winning. I also do not think that USF gets involved in building a 200 million plus OCS to distract anybody. As I stated on my previous post as long as I have been a donor to the program since 1982, USF’s Athletics have been slow and very frugal in moves, in fact in most peoples mind way to slow and frugal. So an OCS of that cost is not something USF takes on unless a huge donor is funding it, which we know is not the case, or a Power Conference has told USF you need one to be chosen. This is something I heard repeatedly since football started at USF by those in power. 
And yes an OCS for a USF winning football program does more in building student and alumni support than RJS. RJS will always be the Bucs home, it never even when we were beating WV in a packed stadium felt like a college atmosphere.

So there you have it.

#1 USF MUST win, first and foremost, but doing that doesn’t preclude building an OCS

Again, we're pretty much in agreement.  You said  "USF MUST win, first and foremost...". I just think the winning needs to happen before the "building".

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

3 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

Again, we're pretty much in agreement.  You said  "USF MUST win, first and foremost...". I just think the winning needs to happen before the "building".

And it will, the OCS won’t be ready until 2027 at the earliest, if we are not winning by then, then we have bigger problems 

19 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I was referring to USFRaider, try to keep up Skippy, appears you have taken one too many hits to the head, you are angry bro, CTE is for real. 

If you were referring to USFRaider then I apologize.  This thread has been going on for a few days and I'm typing while watching the tourney.  And while I did take a few hits I've been tested and as of now no evidence of any issues or preliminary warning signs.  But thank you for your concern.  And no, I'm not angry.  I'm very happy.  I know how Blessed and lucky I am.

4 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

And it will, the OCS won’t be ready until 2027 at the earliest, if we are not winning by then, then we have bigger problems 

And from today until they either say NO or finishing construction it will be a distraction.  This program just doesn't need any distractions right now in my opinion.