• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

How is JMU so much better than MANY AAC schools in major sports?  Taking it seriously?  Donors?  

Them, Liberty, et al, are making things interesting for those  “lower” conferences

Wisconsin is telling me the Big Ten is not the way to go.  

They are getting chewed up by James Madison. 

Phonies.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

6 hours ago, ForestBull said:

Really dumb way to look at it. Anything can happen in a single game.

Not to mention both games were very close and could've went either way. You'd have a better case if they both got blown out.

Looking at it your way the horizon league is better than the SEC because 5 horizon teams beat Oakland. So 6 Horizon teams are better than the 2nd best SEC team.

Uh, sure, if the only evidence was those games. I’m just saying the AAC was in a down year and the conference performance in tournament is a microcosm of that fact. My main point - but I can see why it got lost - was if we repeat this seasons type of performance next year we’ll be rewarded with an NCAAT birth.

Edited by The Great 8
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

7 hours ago, BULLSHTR said:

I disagree. I think UAB lost a close game against a higher seeded opponent. They got lucky in the AAC tourny.

What doesn't make sense to me is why FAU got in over us... They were clearly overrated, losing to a tired Temple team and now out in the first round of the NCAAT. The AAC should be a 2-3 bid league, but the wrong team got sent, because of some recent name recognition from last year.

all super fair, well said

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  2,980
  • Days Won:  2

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The two ACC giants are exploring an exit from the league, but what could happen afterwards remains a mystery

Florida State and Clemson are a dynamic duo that could potentially trigger another shake-up across the college sports landscape. If the 'Noles and Tigers are deemed unworthy of Big Ten or SEC membership, perhaps even the Big 12 shows interest. In December, I wrote that Florida State extracting itself from the ACC felt like a 5-10 year process. Now, you could perhaps move that timeline up a bit since there are two saber-rattling schools challenging the league. It seems only a matter of time before the three sides come to a negotiated resolution in the nine-figure range.

The most significant separator, however, will be inevitable settling of ongoing antitrust lawsuits against the NCAA and Power Five conferences. 

The AAU issue: FSU and Clemson are not AAU schools, which may or may not be a dealbreaker for the Big Ten. The league crowed about adding Nebraska from that elite academic club in 2011. A month later, Nebraska became the first school in the AAU's century-plus history to be kicked out. 

Who could be next? 

North Carolina would be high on any list -- perhaps even ahead of Florida State and Clemson. The UNC brand is among the most recognizable in sports. It was highly desired when Jim Delany was Big Ten commissioner, viewed as the most powerful figure in college sports. It would be desired in both the SEC and Big Ten today. 

Miami fits in the Big Ten as an AAU school, but most of its football history is approaching ancient status. Could the Hurricanes' inconsistency on the field cost them a spot at the big-boy table? The SEC is already in the Sunshine State with Florida. Why would it want Florida State? Again, there's no guarantee those unhappy in the ACC would land in the Big Ten or SEC. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,486
  • Days Won:  13

On 3/21/2024 at 9:05 AM, USF_Bullsharks said:

Ambitious definitely, but you aren't accounting for all of their channels, only the two primary (and ABC is ESPN's OTA channel).  Don't forget CBS and NBC, plus ESPN2, SECN and BTN. 

EDIT: Interesting that SEC has indicated kickoff times flexed by 45 minutes to have non-stop football. 

When I said "For Fox and ESPN - 4 to 8 slots is likely enough." I meant Fox Corporation and Disney, not the networks.

Fox has three networks, plus BTN which itself often broadcasts multiple games at the same time.  ESPN has four (five if you count ESPN News) plus the SEC network has it's own alternative channel.

And another thing to consider ... ESPN and CBS will continue to broadcast games for conferences outside of the P2.

It was likely just an honest mistake by the ACC’s attorney, but it’s a pretty big one to make, especially when you factor in that Miami has been supportive of the ACC and shared that it is committed to being a part of the future of the ACC.

We have a great score here when looking at the G5 (highest aside from Army/Navy).  But it's harder to envision realignment from G5 to P4 currently as the P4 conferences are circling the wagons to protect themselves and employing exclusionary tactics.  Still some unknowns with the potential PAC2 expanding, ACC losses, B12 "islands", etc.  

Edited by Cat941

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,368
  • Days Won:  5

13 hours ago, Brad said:

Longwood says hold that thought.  😂

13 hours ago, Brad said:

Longwood says disregard.  😂

Ended up 9 - 21.  I think 4 of those non P6 wins were over other non P6 teams.   Of course 9 teams did advance which is why MBB and the MBB tourney are fantastic and easily the best thing going.   You get to see some similar things when it comes to the College Baseball tourney but the tournament and the game itself isn't nearly exciting.

I loved JMU, Grand Canyon, and Utah State by the way.  Should have made some money off those teams but you snooze you .. don't win