• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

9 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

That is some dedication if he is in hospice posting conspiracy theories of how Oklahoma State has any value to the B1g or SEC and the conspiracies he keeps leaking that the b12 is more valueable than the acc. Except none of their teams left have won a national championship this decade. The last two teams from their conference to win a natty have left and said peace out b12.

Exactly. I would freaking cash out and go on a spending spree tbh. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  3,001
  • Days Won:  2

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

It's not too late for Greg Sankey and Tony Petitti to back off from their absurd demands that threaten to uproot college sports.

If the Big Ten and SEC are able to set a playoff up in direct contrast to how college sports have always operated — codifying more guaranteed access, more guaranteed on-field competitive advantages (including a bye) and more guaranteed money — then the operation may be passing the point of no return.

This isn’t just about hoarding power — although that’s part of it. It’s about eliminating other teams and leagues from being able to compete on the field, therefore further destabilizing other conferences. We just saw the century-plus-old Pac-12 perish for no particularly good reason. The ACC and Big 12 might be next.

By putting it in writing though, this becomes a play to break apart other conferences and pick off a few more of the most valuable brands.

Edited by Cat941
ETA

4 minutes ago, Cat941 said:
SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

It's not too late for Greg Sankey and Tony Petitti to back off from their absurd demands that threaten to uproot college sports.

If the Big Ten and SEC are able to set a playoff up in direct contrast to how college sports have always operated — codifying more guaranteed access, more guaranteed on-field competitive advantages (including a bye) and more guaranteed money — then the operation may be passing the point of no return.

This isn’t just about hoarding power — although that’s part of it. It’s about eliminating other teams and leagues from being able to compete on the field, therefore further destabilizing other conferences. We just saw the century-plus-old Pac-12 perish for no particularly good reason. The ACC and Big 12 might be next.

By putting it in writing though, this becomes a play to break apart other conferences and pick off a few more of the most valuable brands.

I have a funny feeling that both the sec & big ten will be getting left at the altar by the rest of college football….john travolta GIF

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  883
  • Days Won:  1

13 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Let him know OSU will be left out.

I'm not so sure they will. Most of expansion has been viewed through the B1G's strategy - large markets, high quality and large fanbase universities who will organically draw a large TV audience (more eyeballs = more ad revenue = larger TV contracts, remember the B1G is not "P2" for winning championships in the last 20 years). The SEC strategy is more of a rivalry-heavy, regional approach to promote more butts-in-seats, highly competitive and personal competition (SEC's slogan is "It just means more" for a reason). OkSt is, undoubtedly, a rival for Oklahoma. Texas is their largest rival, absolutely, and the largest rivalry west of the Mississippi unquestionably, but OkSt still promotes a regional rival, with a large donor base, who can be competitive across the board in many sports year in and year out (including baseball, which the SEC also dominates). Would not surprise me if the SEC eventually invited OkSt and Kansas (Mizzou's largest rival, historically) to solidify their western presense, while expanding into NC and possibly Virginia as well. 

Long-term, if the SEC goes to 24, that will mean 8 new schools. When you think about where the SEC values their expansion, it's "like" institutions culturally and athletically, with a heavy regard for regional rivalry. If they added 8 schools, my guess is they will be the following - FSU/Clemson/UNC/Duke/OkSt/Kansas/VaTech/Miami. This doesn't mean the next round of expansion, this doesn't mean within 10 years, but long-term, I think these schools will gravitate towards each other. Same with us and c, I think we end up back in the same conference eventually.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

48 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

I'm not so sure they will. Most of expansion has been viewed through the B1G's strategy - large markets, high quality and large fanbase universities who will organically draw a large TV audience (more eyeballs = more ad revenue = larger TV contracts, remember the B1G is not "P2" for winning championships in the last 20 years). The SEC strategy is more of a rivalry-heavy, regional approach to promote more butts-in-seats, highly competitive and personal competition (SEC's slogan is "It just means more" for a reason). OkSt is, undoubtedly, a rival for Oklahoma. Texas is their largest rival, absolutely, and the largest rivalry west of the Mississippi unquestionably, but OkSt still promotes a regional rival, with a large donor base, who can be competitive across the board in many sports year in and year out (including baseball, which the SEC also dominates). Would not surprise me if the SEC eventually invited OkSt and Kansas (Mizzou's largest rival, historically) to solidify their western presense, while expanding into NC and possibly Virginia as well. 

Long-term, if the SEC goes to 24, that will mean 8 new schools. When you think about where the SEC values their expansion, it's "like" institutions culturally and athletically, with a heavy regard for regional rivalry. If they added 8 schools, my guess is they will be the following - FSU/Clemson/UNC/Duke/OkSt/Kansas/VaTech/Miami. This doesn't mean the next round of expansion, this doesn't mean within 10 years, but long-term, I think these schools will gravitate towards each other. Same with us and c, I think we end up back in the same conference eventually.

SEC won't take on a bunch of leftovers just for the sake of expanding. dilutes their product and means less revenue for current programs.

there is a reason most pro sports leagues settle around 30 teams. add big 10 and sec and you have nfl lite.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,638
  • Days Won:  25

54 minutes ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

Wife went to Mizzou for undergrad and Usf for Grad school. She said Kansas is their biggest basketball rival but the big rivalry for football has always been Arksansas . The SEC already got the biggest and best Oklahoma program. No reason for them to go in state of Oklahoma.  If they want to add another top50 program would be better to get a team in the south in market that they do not have one in like Kansas, virginia, and, unc.Just my two cents. It the worlds of college realignment,  unlimited years of eligibility, nil deals , and infinite transfers anything is possible.

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,045
  • Days Won:  10

There is a lot of talk about the ACC losing teams. But if i was the Big 12 I would be nervous as well. Kansas and Oklahoma State are probably in a better position vis a vie  most ACC teams.

• Upvote 2

They got their hush money!  

Sigh.  I actually thought we might get pushback from the M2.  Look for realignment to ramp up.  

9 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

Sigh.  I actually thought we might get pushback from the M2.  Look for realignment to ramp up.  

The question is how long will that arraignment last if it does go through? With that said it should not be long before we actually see USF be invited to ACC imo