• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Simple summary regarding the lawsuit OSU and Wazzou brought against the PAC-12 today, which is indirectly relevant to the AAC and USF:

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

2 hours ago, Cat941 said:

I pulled the complaint. My thoughts:
1. Lawsuit is against the pac 12 and George Kliavkoff, the commissioner.
2. Oregon State and Washington State are the plaintiffs.
3. The lawsuit does not name all of the other P12 schools.
4. Filed in Whitman County which is where Washington State is. Not sure this court has jurisdiction over P12and Kliavkoff. It's not filed in federal court either which usually has jurisdiction over disputes between citizens of different states. They do plead that the P12 is a citizen of Washington and conducts business there. That may be enough under Washington law. Don't know.
5. Not sure why the suit was not filed in Oregon instead of Washington.
6. I doubt the bylaws allow jurisdiction of disputes in the county where the individual schools are located. But I have not looked.
7. I assume the main goal of the filing is to get a friendly court to stop all activities particularly the meeting of all P12 schools scheduled for Wednesday September 13.
8. WSU/OSU may get the temporary injunction to stop that meeting but the issue of jurisdiction will likely need to be addressed.
9. The lawsuit asks for a temporary and permanent injunction. Generally an injunction requires that there is no "adequate remedy at law" that could compensate for the damage caused by not granting the injunction. That means there are no money damages that could adequately compensate WSU/OSU for their damages. That may be hard to prove for a permanent injunction.
10. The complaint alleges that "The ten departing members have a significant financial incentive to dissolve the Pac-12 before their departures. If the Pac-12 Conference dissolved, its remaining assets and property would be distributed to all twelve members"
11. The argument of the departing schools is likely to be, as noted in an email one of them sent referenced in the Complaint "It seems obvious that any 9 Members can declare the fate of the Conference at any time.”
12. The crux of the issue is whether the departing schools lost their board seats upon notice of leaving or until they actually leave. Or some other date as established in the bylaws.
13. Of course this complexity also limits what WSU/OSU can do as far as trying to add new schools to the Pac or leaving and taking the money with them.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  2,980
  • Days Won:  2

14 minutes ago, SANJAY said:

I pulled the complaint. My thoughts:
1. Lawsuit is against the pac 12 and George Kliavkoff, the commissioner.
2. Oregon State and Washington State are the plaintiffs.
3. The lawsuit does not name all of the other P12 schools.
4. Filed in Whitman County which is where Washington State is. Not sure this court has jurisdiction over P12and Kliavkoff. It's not filed in federal court either which usually has jurisdiction over disputes between citizens of different states. They do plead that the P12 is a citizen of Washington and conducts business there. That may be enough under Washington law. Don't know.
5. Not sure why the suit was not filed in Oregon instead of Washington.
6. I doubt the bylaws allow jurisdiction of disputes in the county where the individual schools are located. But I have not looked.
7. I assume the main goal of the filing is to get a friendly court to stop all activities particularly the meeting of all P12 schools scheduled for Wednesday September 13.
8. WSU/OSU may get the temporary injunction to stop that meeting but the issue of jurisdiction will likely need to be addressed.
9. The lawsuit asks for a temporary and permanent injunction. Generally an injunction requires that there is no "adequate remedy at law" that could compensate for the damage caused by not granting the injunction. That means there are no money damages that could adequately compensate WSU/OSU for their damages. That may be hard to prove for a permanent injunction.
10. The complaint alleges that "The ten departing members have a significant financial incentive to dissolve the Pac-12 before their departures. If the Pac-12 Conference dissolved, its remaining assets and property would be distributed to all twelve members"
11. The argument of the departing schools is likely to be, as noted in an email one of them sent referenced in the Complaint "It seems obvious that any 9 Members can declare the fate of the Conference at any time.”
12. The crux of the issue is whether the departing schools lost their board seats upon notice of leaving or until they actually leave. Or some other date as established in the bylaws.
13. Of course this complexity also limits what WSU/OSU can do as far as trying to add new schools to the Pac or leaving and taking the money with them.

👍  Do you think that they will file in Federal Court too?  Is this just the start of their action?  Where is the PAC-12 office located?  I thought CA.  You think that stopping activities is the goal of the filing...is that to keep the leaving members from spending assets?  How can they complete athletic competition this year if they cease all activities as an organization?  Thanks in advance for your answers.  

Edited by Cat941
ETA

Just now, Cat941 said:

Do you think that they will file in Federal Court too?  Is this just the start of their action?  Where is the PAC-12 office located?  I thought CA.  You think that stopping activities is the goal of the filing...is that to keep the leaving members from spending assets?  How can they complete athletic competition this year if they cease all activities as an organization?  Thanks in advance for your answers.  

My guess is that the P12 ultimately tries to remove the case to California federal court. P12 HQ is in California and I assume there's a venue clause in the bylaws. 

I think the purpose of the filing is not to stop all activities just any opportunity for any vote to be taken that would impact P12 finances. WSU/OSU do not a meeting to be held, whether designated a "board meeting" or not, where the other schools can vote to void any exit fees, disburse money, allocate NCAA credits, or the like. WSU/OSU want to get some temporary ruling to stop Kliavkoff from calling any meeting of any sort. 

6 minutes ago, SANJAY said:

My guess is that the P12 ultimately tries to remove the case to California federal court. P12 HQ is in California and I assume there's a venue clause in the bylaws. 

I think the purpose of the filing is not to stop all activities just any opportunity for any vote to be taken that would impact P12 finances. WSU/OSU do not a meeting to be held, whether designated a "board meeting" or not, where the other schools can vote to void any exit fees, disburse money, allocate NCAA credits, or the like. WSU/OSU want to get some temporary ruling to stop Kliavkoff from calling any meeting of any sort. 

I see.  So if the schools leaving lose all voting power, OSU/WSU can seize the revenue/assets and establish rules that benefit them.  That only seems fair.  But as it's millions, the schools leaving will try to secure as much of the money as they can.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,617
  • Days Won:  25

6 hours ago, GoBulls84 said:

FSU/Clemson pales in comparison to most rivalries I would assume. It was really only a thing in the mid-2000s because of the Bowden connection. And then they took turns beating each other off and on for the title of champion of the 6th best conference up until Jameis beat Auburn in 2013 and Clemson managed to be the one to finally knock off Saban in a title game. Their "rivalry" as it is is only maybe 20 years old? Everyone in the ACC was FSU's whipping boy until 2004ish, it'd be hard to call any of them rivals prior to that and Miami joining.

FSU doesn't consider Clemson one of their big rivals. FSU's two biggest  rivals are the Miami Hurricanes and  the Florida Gators. It is like saying we consider  Tulsa a big rival. We are in a conference together and that is about it. They play each other and have had success but neither consider each other their biggest rival or arch nemesis. Clemson and FSU just have been better than Miami the last decade and some so there is more on the line recently.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

12 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

I see.  So if the schools leaving lose all voting power, OSU/WSU can seize the revenue/assets and establish rules that benefit them.  That only seems fair.  But as it's millions, the schools leaving will try to secure as much of the money as they can.  

It could be north of $100 million when the tallies are done. Essentially life and death for WSU/OSU if they're locked out of a major conference which seems likely.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

6 minutes ago, SANJAY said:

It could be north of $100 million when the tallies are done. Essentially life and death for WSU/OSU if they're locked out of a major conference which seems likely.

I can relate. 

31 minutes ago, SANJAY said:

Yep.