• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

51 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

At a cost of $300 Million how do you put enough butts in the seats at an OCS with games against FAU, Charlotte, UNT, etc.?

Win. We averaged 33K+ in the Q winning years in non UCF games. FAU, Charlotte, UNT are no different than ECU, Tulsa, SMU in most USF fans eyes. 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,921
  • Days Won:  33

1 hour ago, BullShirt said:

But if  all the big attendance games (ND, UF, FSU, Miami, etc.) are at Ray Jay doesn't that defeat the purpose of an OCS?  At a cost of $300 Million how do you put enough butts in the seats at an OCS with games against FAU, Charlotte, UNT, etc.?

It certainly might.

Let's wait and see what happens over the coming years in regards to OOC scheduling and being in a new conference at some point.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  1

13 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I hear what you are saying there but I am deferring to USF on the risk analysis on the financing.  That's out of my ballpark.  I think donations will increase once you give someone an emotional connection and reason to get back on campus regularly.  

Personally, I wouldn't mind using a neutral site for massive games (rare) and being on campus for 90% of our normal games.  Then promise the P5 conferences we will expand later if and when the TV money flows in and bigger opponents are forced to play us.

Seems like an obvious play to me, but I'll defer the financing to the USF leadership.  I am just a customer / alum saying what I would like.

You said "I am deferring to USF on the risk analysis on the financing" but you know what scares me about that?  Didn't we defer to USF on hiring the last few football coaches and the last few basketball coaches?  That didn't turn out too well. 

I know finance and sports are two entirely different things but for the most part (but not entirely I'll admit) they are "joined at the hip" when it comes to an OCS.

Personally, if a magic Genie suddenly appeared and said he/she would give USF a hugely successful football program but USF could NEVER have an OCS I would take that in a heartbeat and NEVER LOOK BACK.  Unfortunately, I think there are some/many in the athletics program (and some on this board as well) that would choose a mediocre football program WITH an OCS every time.

But I'll admit, I am very BIASED towards playing at Ray Jay.  And in my opinion IF USF had been uber successful in football the past 5 years (big wins, big crowds) USF would be holding the allure of playing its home conference games in a big time NFL stadium like a giant carrot to any conference (ACC, Big "whatever") that came calling.  And IF USF had big wins & big crowds there's not a conference out there that would have said "Yeah, we'll take you BUT you have to build an OCS".  Why?  Because it wouldn't have mattered.  WINS - CROWDS - TV NUMBERS is all that matters in this new era.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  5,407
  • Days Won:  10

3 hours ago, Peatearpan said:

Let me clarify, I didn’t mean it as an easy win. I meant it as a no brainer for an ooc scheduling aspect. I mean the game draws fans, just not ours. There is one guaranteed ooc game, then we just need the paid P5 2 for 1s that we have been doing and one more.

Or, we could just schedule all Florida ooc opponents that are FBS and would have us on their schedule. Save some money on travel.

I'm sorry, Peat, but I did know what you meant.  It's just that I was at every one of the original series and I saw first hand what their fans are like and I'm too old to put up with their crap.  Afraid of playing them?  Not a chance.  I want to be far away from them so no one confuses the schools anymore.

3 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

It certainly might.

Let's wait and see what happens over the coming years in regards to OOC scheduling and being in a new conference at some point.

"It certainly MIGHT"?  "Let's wait and see what happens over the coming years"?  That's not exactly a ringing endorsement.  But I get it.  It's not your $300 Million or your debt service so let's go ahead and build it and let someone else worry about paying the bills.

I don't intend this to be "mean" towards you John.  I certainly get it.  You work for USF Athletics and would naturally be biased towards using Other People's Money to build a nice new OCS.  But at the end of the day I just don't see "it certainly might" and "see what happens" as convincing arguments when all USF has to offer up is games against schools like FAU, Charlotte & UNT.  As I posted elsewhere in this thread I firmly believe that if USF wins, puts fans in the stands and gets eyeballs on TV (TAD) the OCS is secondary.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

6 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

You said "I am deferring to USF on the risk analysis on the financing" but you know what scares me about that?  Didn't we defer to USF on hiring the last few football coaches and the last few basketball coaches?  That didn't turn out too well. 

I kinda have to though. At best I can get a plaque on the wall with my name on it somewhere if I donate enough, or fill out a survey.  

Otherwise they don't care what I think. 😀

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  5,407
  • Days Won:  10

You may be misjudging John.  That was a little tough to read, actually.  Other than that, I agree with a lot of your post.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

13 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

Unfortunately, I think there are some/many in the athletics program (and some on this board as well) that would choose a mediocre football program WITH an OCS every time.

Also this can be changed.  If we hit on Golesh which I think we may have so far (who knows), we need to shell out to keep him when the time comes.  Can't let him walk after having one good season.

5 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

I'm sorry, Peat, but I did know what you meant.  It's just that I was at every one of the original series and I saw first hand what their fans are like and I'm too old to put up with their crap.  Afraid of playing them?  Not a chance.  I want to be far away from them so no one confuses the schools anymore.

Does anyone confuse Michigan with Michigan State?  What about Florida with Florida State?  How about North Carolina with North Carolina State?  Win.  Win Convincingly.  Win Often.  Do that and NO ONE will confuse USF with UCF.  NO ONE!

2 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I kinda have to though. At best I can get a plaque on the wall with my name on it somewhere if I donate enough, or fill out a survey.  

Otherwise they don't care what I think. 😀

I feel your pain on that one Brother.  Trust me.

1 minute ago, Rocky Style said:

Also this can be changed.  If we hit on Golesh which I think we may have so far (who knows), we need to shell out to keep him when the time comes.  Can't let him walk after having one good season.

Exactly!  If USF gets "knee deep in debt" there may not be enough money left over to try and keep him.