• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Here's an interesting dilemma. According to this article 5 big 12 schools were heading to the big 10 in 2010. If that happened would any school in a G5 position jump to a sinking big 12 or absorb members from the big 12 and create a 6th big conference

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/report--five-big-12-teams-sought-move-to-big-ten-in-2010-152148798.html

Yep, but those schools were only going to jump because Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Okie State were going to jump to the Pac 12.  

The Big 12 would have been completely dead at that point, and the P5 would have included the Big East.

It all fell apart because Texas was greedy and had too many demands of the Pac 12.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Here's an interesting dilemma. According to this article 5 big 12 schools were heading to the big 10 in 2010. If that happened would any school in a G5 position jump to a sinking big 12 or absorb members from the big 12 and create a 6th big conference

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/report--five-big-12-teams-sought-move-to-big-ten-in-2010-152148798.html

Yep, but those schools were only going to jump because Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Okie State were going to jump to the Pac 12.  

The Big 12 would have been completely dead at that point, and the P5 would have included the Big East.

It all fell apart because Texas was greedy and had too many demands of the Pac 12.

I'm thinking there would have been a P4 rather than including the BE ...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

If the BEast would have absorbed the majority of the B12, which was reported at the time, then the BEast would have been in.

If what appears in that article would have happened instead then it becomes really iffy, but still pretty good:

The B10 would now be sporting 16 teams, along with what would have been the Pac 16 (w/ the Texas/Oklahoma club )

I would think that the SEC would have jumped on the ACC and ripped out some members to join the 16 member magic number

This would leave a devastated ACC and struggling BEast to unite.

I think given the names still left behind at the time between the 2 conferences at the time, and how well the teams were doing at that time.. the chances would have been good for the united 16 team conference to have be included in the "P5"

Pure speculation obviously

But, oh.. what could have been if the BEast would have absorbed a B12 remnant.

I don't think so.  There would have been too many schools with too many years in power conference affiliation to get left out in the cold.

If the BEast would have absorbed the majority of the B12, which was reported at the time, then the BEast would have been in.

If what appears in that article would have happened instead then it becomes really iffy, but still pretty good:

The B10 would now be sporting 16 teams, along with what would have been the Pac 16 (w/ the Texas/Oklahoma club )

I would think that the SEC would have jumped on the ACC and ripped out some members to join the 16 member magic number

This would leave a devastated ACC and struggling BEast to unite.

I think given the names still left behind at the time between the 2 conferences at the time, and how well the teams were doing at that time.. the chances would have been good for the united 16 team conference to have be included in the "P5"

Pure speculation obviously

But, oh.. what could have been if the BEast would have absorbed a B12 remnant.

This is true.  The Big East would have actually had more clout than the ACC if they had sucked in half the Big 12.  That was the other piece that I forgot.  If the Big East had been smart, they'd have tried raiding the ACC before the ACC raided them.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

BYU
Baylor
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Boise State
TCU

West Virginia
USF
Memphis
UCF
Houston
Cincy
UConn

This looks so great to me. I hope the 4 Big 12 teams bolt.

BYU

Baylor

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

Boise State

TCU

West Virginia

USF

Memphis

UCF

Houston

Cincy

UConn

This looks so great to me. I hope the 4 Big 12 teams bolt.

Wait, what year is this?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

I don't think so.  There would have been too many schools with too many years in power conference affiliation to get left out in the cold.

If the scenario outlined there had come about, the only schools left out would have been Baylor, Missouri Colorado and KState. The SEC would have probably grabbed a couple in the frenzy, probably Missouri and Baylor. Not sure that there would have been enough in Colorado and Kansas State for the blue bloods to have worried about keeping them in a power conference.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  0