• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  711
  • Days Won:  0

the NACC could include BC, UConn, Cincy, USF, UCF, Hou, SMU, Wake, Cuse, Pitt and such

in other words, NACC would pretty much be the old BE, with some retreads (BC, Cuse, Pitt), an ACC stragler (Wake) and a couple of former CUSA squads (UCF, HOU, SMU) thrown in. every team on that list would have been either a member or a prospective member of the BE except Wake.

Not to be a ****, I genuinely don't understand. But, I keep seeing this posted on the boards. If the ACC loses just about everybody and we get an invite (and I prefer this to a merger, because I think the Big East name is poison at this point and the ACC name is worth more), why in the world would we still attach ourselves to UCF? I could see this if we were marketing ourselves to the Big12, because maybe to some we don't carry enough upside by ourselves. But, if we're going to the ACC, why bring UCF along? Let them stew in whatever is left of the Big East. Why force parity?

UCF wouldn't be tagging along with the permission of USF, if these scenarios happen to play out like mentioned. I think it'd already be a given. We both would either be in a big east that invites the remaining ACC schools, or the ACC remnants invite at least 8 BE schools and go to 12. Then they could possibly ask to add one or 3 of the C7 non-football (GTown, St. John's and Nova). Of course all of this is based on the speculative rumors, mentioned above.

Edited by Goldenbuc

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

Does anyone seriously think that USF is going to the ACC? Not wishing or theorizing, but seeing real indicators of that happening, leaks from trusted sources?

If the ACC is left with three or four teams, then, yes, I would think that USF would get an invite. Who else if not USF? With the Catholic 7 leaving, and possibly buying the Big East name, that brand is dead (to us and to football). In any case, I've always thought that the ACC was a better brand with more cache anyways. So, why would the ACC decide to fold or to merge with what used to be the Big East and start over under some inane name like Conference America or whatever? To me, it makes sense for the ACC to reload with the best available teams (and USF would have to be one, I would think) and carry on.

There's no real indicator of this happening, but if you look at what's apparently happening, it seems to be the only reasonable outcome. I can't imagine the ACC would just call it a day and quit. And if they have to replenish teams, USF makes sense. Us over UCF at the very least based on our former BCS status. And the ACC would want, I would think, a Florida presence.

So no.

Well, yeah. Pretty much a no :)

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

I'm still thinking the "old" BE could absorb the ACC leftovers if all this goes down before July. However, the rationale to go the other way (where a gutted ACC takes a massive influx of BE schools) would be to cherry-pick the BBall schools and leave out the likes of Providence and Seton Hall. They have already set themselves for a hybrid league with the ND invite. It's not too crazy to see something like: USF, UC, UL, UConn, Temp, Pitt, Cuse, WF, BC, otherACC(?Duke), ?UCF, ?Mem, ND, GTown, SJU, Nova This couldn't happen with the "old" BE absorbing the ACC schools, as PC/SHU/DeP/Marq would have something to say about it.

the NACC could include BC, UConn, Cincy, USF, UCF, Hou, SMU, Wake, Cuse, Pitt and such

in other words, NACC would pretty much be the old BE, with some retreads (BC, Cuse, Pitt), an ACC stragler (Wake) and a couple of former CUSA squads (UCF, HOU, SMU) thrown in. every team on that list would have been either a member or a prospective member of the BE except Wake.

Not to be a ****, I genuinely don't understand. But, I keep seeing this posted on the boards. If the ACC loses just about everybody and we get an invite (and I prefer this to a merger, because I think the Big East name is poison at this point and the ACC name is worth more), why in the world would we still attach ourselves to UCF? I could see this if we were marketing ourselves to the Big12, because maybe to some we don't carry enough upside by ourselves. But, if we're going to the ACC, why bring UCF along? Let them stew in whatever is left of the Big East. Why force parity?

UCF wouldn't be tagging along with the permission of USF, if these scenarios happen to play out like mentioned. I think it'd already be a given. We both would either be in a big east that invites the remaining ACC schools, or the ACC remnants invite at least 8 BE schools and go to 12. Then they could possibly ask to add one or 3 of the C7 non-football (GTown, St. John's and Nova). Of course all of this is based on the speculative rumors, mentioned above.

That's fair enough, but I still don't see why the ACC would need two Florida schools, especially two that apparently are considered mid-majors and not all that great. FSU and Miami, I can understand this. Both have large and very different followings. Lots of fans in both cases. Huge history and resumes in both cases. With USF and UCF, we have two cities: Tampa and Orlando. And that's it. I don't see why an ACC that's reloading would use up two conference slots to wrap up two cities in central Florida, an hour apart. It seems to me that the better money would be grabbing an unrelated school in a state where the conference doesn't already have a presence. Now between the two, I've got to think that USF gets the nod due to media market size and the fact that we've been BCS.

I'm still thinking the "old" BE could absorb the ACC leftovers if all this goes down before July. However, the rationale to go the other way (where a gutted ACC takes a massive influx of BE schools) would be to cherry-pick the BBall schools and leave out the likes of Providence and Seton Hall. They have already set themselves for a hybrid league with the ND invite. It's not too crazy to see something like: USF, UC, UL, UConn, Temp, Pitt, Cuse, WF, BC, otherACC(?Duke), ?UCF, ?Mem, ND, GTown, SJU, Nova This couldn't happen with the "old" BE absorbing the ACC schools, as PC/SHU/DeP/Marq would have something to say about it.

College football is/was about tradition, largely. The Big East is not a very old conference, was never all that respected (in football), and has just been destroyed in the media over the last few years. I can't imagine why the ACC would give up its brand. Sure, it was never hugely respected as a football conference, either, but was always thought of as better than the BE. It would defy common sense for the ACC to disband and the BE (or whatever it'll be called after the selling off of the name to the C7) absorb it. To me, it's gotta go the other way.

That's fair enough, but I still don't see why the ACC would need two Florida schools, especially two that apparently are considered mid-majors and not all that great. FSU and Miami, I can understand this. Both have large and very different followings. Lots of fans in both cases. Huge history and resumes in both cases. With USF and UCF, we have two cities: Tampa and Orlando. And that's it. I don't see why an ACC that's reloading would use up two conference slots to wrap up two cities in central Florida, an hour apart. It seems to me that the better money would be grabbing an unrelated school in a state where the conference doesn't already have a presence. Now between the two, I've got to think that USF gets the nod due to media market size and the fact that we've been BCS.

The Tampa TV market is ranked 13 and Orlando is #19 nationally. Combined its the #4 TV market in the USA. But that would be irrelevant. If the ACC only has 4 teams left, that being lets say, Pitt, Cuse, Wake and BC...what sort of "stature" do you presume the ACC really has anymore? Who do you think they would prefer? Tulane? ECU? UCF and USF would be part if the first four chosen with UConn and Cincy.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Slick you're out of your mind. I'd imagine you're just saying this BS to argue and play devil's advocate like you usually do. If the ACC is gutted, they won't have a choice but to add programs they probably wouldn't have added 5 years ago. 5 years ago the Big East wouldn't have added Tulane or ECU.

It's not that we are so great and deserved this spot years ago, it's that there's NO ONE ELSE if the ACC loses 4-6 teams. Especially if UM and FSU leave. You think the ACC will go on without a Florida presence and pass us up? Seriously?Who passes us up for an ACC invite then? UCF? NIU? We along with Cincy and UConn are the last 3 of the "5th best conference".

I don't know why I even argue with you as you never come to your senses.

Maryland still has to cough up $50 mil. Anyone else leaving will have to do the same. Don't see it happening at all. And no, the founder of UA isn't paying Maryland's exit fee.  And my understanding is that FSU has money issues. Otherwise, what is stopping them from leaving? Or anyone else? Just go!

Edited by slick1ru2

College football is/was about tradition, largely. The Big East is not a very old conference, was never all that respected (in football), and has just been destroyed in the media over the last few years. I can't imagine why the ACC would give up its brand. Sure, it was never hugely respected as a football conference, either, but was always thought of as better than the BE. It would defy common sense for the ACC to disband and the BE (or whatever it'll be called after the selling off of the name to the C7) absorb it. To me, it's gotta go the other way.

The Big East schools would have the upper hand, here and would probably make a deal, either way. The ACC brand is better, so maybe they merge. Plus, ND would also be a factor, here. Maybe even some of the top C7 could join, as well.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

This isn't going to be over any time soon.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/maryland-attorney-general-files-suit-against-acc-over-53-million-exit-fee-in-move-to-big-10/2013/01/18/11b473b8-61be-11e2-81ef-a2249c1e5b3d_story.html

Maryland attorney general files suit against ACC over $52 million exit fee in move to Big Ten

By Associated Press, Published: January 18

BALTIMORE — The Maryland Attorney General filed a lawsuit against the Atlantic Coast Conference on Friday, saying its approximately $53 million exit fee for the University of Maryland’s departure to the Big Ten is invalid and unenforceable.
Attorney General Douglas F. Gansler filed the suit on behalf of the school and its board of regents in Prince George’s County Circuit Court.

The ACC sued Maryland in November in a North Carolina court to make the school pay the exit fee. Gansler also filed a motion Friday to dismiss that lawsuit, saying a court in that state has no jurisdiction over Maryland.
ACC spokeswoman Amy Yakola declined comment because the league’s legal team has not yet received a copy of the lawsuit.
The league says the school must pay $52,266,342 — three times the league’s annual operating budget for 2012-13 — after its member schools voted in September to increase the fee.
The attorney general’s lawsuit seeks, among other remedies, nearly $157 million in damages.
Gansler said in an interview with The Associated Press that he hoped a settlement would be reached, and that the lawsuit was prompted by the ACC’s withholding of more than $3 million in December, money paid to ACC teams each month for television rights. The lawsuit seeks to prevent the ACC from continuing to withhold those funds.
“This is not like a bad divorce from the University of Maryland standpoint,†Gansler said in the interview. “We hope that this can be resolved in an amicable manner.â€
He added, “Maryland has a deep respect for the ACC and its members, and there’s no reason not to settle.â€
The suit, filed in Upper Marlboro, Md., says the ACC’s decision to increase the exit fee in September 2012 “is lacking any legitimate economic justification†and “failed to comply with the notice and procedural requirements of the ACC Constitution and is therefore null and void.â€
Maryland was one of two schools that voted against the increased exit fee. Florida State also voted against the increase.
The ACC twice increased its exit fee in the span of a year. The fee was around $12 million to $14 million before the league announced in September 2011 it would add Pittsburgh and Syracuse from the Big East, which led the league to up the fee to $20 million. The latest increase came with the addition of Notre Dame in all sports the league sponsors except football.
Gansler’s suit alleges that the ACC violated Maryland antitrust laws, breached contractual obligations and interfered with the prospective economic advantage of the flagship campus of the University of Maryland System.
The lawsuit says the $156,799,026 — which is three times the amount of the exit fee — is for treble damages as outlined in the state’s antitrust laws. It also seeks an injunction against enforcement of the exit fee, a declaratory judgment finding the fee unlawful, and other relief.
Maryland, a founding member of the ACC since 1953, formally announced its decision to move to the Big Ten on Nov. 19, with the move to occur in 2014.
Within a week, the ACC filed suit for its exit fee.
The suit filed Friday says, “The Withdrawal Penalty bears no relation to actual damages (if any) to the ACC from Maryland’s withdrawal.â€
Further, it notes, “The ACC has also ignored and breached the ACC Constitution in its urgency to punish Maryland and deter further withdrawals from the Conference.†According to the suit, the ACC Constitution deems that amendments do not take effect until the beginning of the next fiscal year following their adoption, meaning that the exit fee could not be implemented until July 2013.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

This thread is on its way to surpassing the AW thread, which is full of nonesense at this point.