• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

deserves coach of the year consideration

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

86579.gif

I enjoyed what he did at GT...

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

deserves coach of the year consideration

Spurrier should get it ........ if he beats UF, he's a lock.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  580

I'm not sure how anyone can make a case for Spurrier who is returning to the SEC...with a working knowledge of most of those programs...and with the talent that went 6-5 last year in the same conference.

Just some points that support GOL.  FWIW, I don't consider GOLs turn around this year to be compared to a Mike Price-esque turnaround at UTEP last year - GOL may have went 0-11 last year, but it was still a year of building for him that people like Price and Meyer (at Utah) have gone in and not needed.

That being said, my nominations would be Parker at UCLA, Weis, Western Michigan's coach.

I don't buy into Paterno just because it's a feel good story - he'll get a hall of fame or 5...but not a "COTY" for this year...it's just not appropriate.  Same with Tulane's coach - he's handling the hardest job in the country, and Tulane is well in debt to their coaches and athletic administration for operating on all cylinders when they could have easily punted...but let's keep the award in the light that it was meant to honor.

and of course, Dave Wannestat and Mike Robinson are also shoo-ins ;)

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

GOL has done a good job, but he had talent.

Spurrier has done a good job he kicked a lot of that talent that existed off the team yet came around.

Weis will get a lot of love, but he's not THAT deserving

I'm gonna have to go with Bobby Johnson of Vandy if they make a bowl game, this is the 1st time we've seen a competitive Vandy team (who plays UK this week, and then finishes at Tennessee in what could be a in state matchup for a bowl berth).

Second, would be Randy Walker of Northwestern, that team has been very disciplened and good this year.

Finally, Larry Coker from Miami (tied with O'Leary)

Spurrier has done a good job he kicked a lot of that talent that existed off the team yet came around.

I'm gonna have to go with Bobby Johnson of Vandy if they make a bowl game, this is the 1st time we've seen a competitive Vandy team (who plays UK this week, and then finishes at Tennessee in what could be a in state matchup for a bowl berth).

Second, would be Randy Walker of Northwestern, that team has been very disciplened and good this year.

I'd forgotten about Vandy. If they go to a bowl that'd be a good choice, too ........ but if Spurrier beats Florida after going to UT and winning there for the first time EVER, I believe, it'd be tough not choosing him .... and that PAINS me to say that.   ;)

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

FYI...believe Vandy has lost 5 in a row.

Sure, they had a nice start (played some lesser SEC and non-conf teams), but I don't think he will get any National COTY votes (at least not in the top 3-4).

He might get votes if the SEC has a Coach of the Year.

KL

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  709

Coker is NOT a good coach in my opinion.  How in the hell can a program have so many first round picks in the NFL and NOT win an NC?  I doubt he gets a look at all and deservedly so.

GOL does deserve some recognition.  I think we still need to see where the teams end up at the end of the year.  Should UCF go to the CUSA CG and a nice bowl, then I think he is at worst 2nd.

Should we lose the last two games and go nowhere, then he probably gets a couple of meaningless votes.

FYI...believe Vandy has lost 5 in a row.

KL

Yep, they have. Scratch the Vandy coach. Spurrier should still be favorite, especially if he beats Florida.

TB

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

I put Charlie Weis as the #1 candidate.