• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

S Bien... thought you might enjoy this...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Our ex-receiver's coach that no one cared for when I played at USF is the OC for a Div II school and taking care of business... this is truly scary.

Also, after the Arizona-UCLA game, the first comment from Mike Stoops was commenting on the great game coach Canales called last night... Way to go Coach C! He's a class act IMO.

This is from an email I received...

T.P.'s team finished  the season undefeated and are ranked third in the nation in Division II.  Tom Pajic is the offensive coordinator there as well as the QB, WR coach and recruiting coordinator.  

November 5, 2005

Bloomsburg Finishes Season Unbeaten After 42-28 Win

Game Stats

BLOOMSBURGâ€â€Quarterback Jack Lydic (Selinsgrove/Selinsgrove) passed for 309 yards and four touchdowns to lead Bloomsburg University to a 42-28 win over Millersville University Saturday afternoon. With the win the Huskies finish the regular season with a perfect 11-0 record, its first undefeated season since 1985.

Bloomsburg opened the scoring on its first drive of the game when Lydic hit Donny Patrick (Shenandoah/Hazleton) with an 18-yard scoring pass for a 7-0 lead just 2:10 into the game.

Millersville (5-6, 3-3 PSAC East) then rallied and took a 21-7 lead with three consecutive touchdowns. The first coming on a 77-yard kickoff return by Andrew Siggins, while the second was a 15-yard scoring run by Juan Jones, both in the first period. The Marauders then extended the lead to 21-7 when Chaz Beasley recovered a blocked punt in the end zone for a score.

Bloomsburg, though, tied the score going into the halftime with Lydic throwing two touchdowns passes. The first went to Brahin Bilal (Philadelphia/Lincoln), a 29-yard strike, while Ryan Schuck (Selinsgrove/Selinsgrove) caught an 11-yard pass just with just under two minutes left before half.

The Marauders opened the third quarter with 14-play, 95-yard drive capped off by a Juan Jones one-yard run to put the visitors in front 28-21. After a long kickoff return by the Huskies Greg McGhee (Philadelphia/Cheltenham) put the ball in Millersville territory, Jamar Brittingham (Levittown/Neshaminy) ran 42-yards on the first play from scrimmage for a touchdown to tie the game at 28-28.

In the fourth period, the Huskies again needed just one play to score with Brittingham racing 73-yards to put Bloomsburg in front 35-28.

After Millersville fumbled on its next series with Bloomsburg recovering, Lydic hit Greg Masters (Sayre/Athens) with a four-yard scoring pass to give the Huskies breathing room at 42-28.

Lydic ended the day 18-26 for 309 yards and one interception. Over his last two games, Lydic is 40-53 for 567 yards and seven touchdowns.

Brittingham, who went into the game leading all of Division II in rushing yards per game, finished the day with 27 carries for 235 yards and two scores. He set a new school and Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) record for rushing yards in a single-season with 2,060, breaking the mark of 2,038 set by Bloomsburg's Irv Sigler in 1997.

Juan Jones led the Marauders by rushing 28 times for 132 yards and two scores.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,643
  • Days Won:  29

1AA talent mainly . . . and probably maturing as a coach.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

sheriff- interesting stuff

Guest S.  Bien

He wasn't well liked by the receivers, and never seemed to optimize his talent.  Many guys did well because they were just so talented like Rub, Smith, Hearn, and Whitaker.   Maybe he was better off as an OC or at a small school which is where he came from to begin with.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  231
  • Days Won:  0

I'd kill for anyone else right about now. If I  remember correctly he left for a better job he wasn't dismissed.

Who really has been fired under CJL? Only one I can think of, a certain defensive backs coach who wanted to go to a conference to become a better coach. Oh sorry Sheriff I know you didnt like him, but Anthony Henry credited him for helping him become the player he is today and look where he is today.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  231

Heres a great article

Playing the pieces

For play-callers, execution means everything

By Charles Durrenberger

ARIZONA DAILY STAR

Tucson, Arizona | Published: 11.05.2005

When Arizona receiver Anthony Johnson crossed the goal line with an 18-yard touchdown pass last week at Oregon State, it was a culmination of strategy, timing and execution.

The play was a variation of the wide receiver screen that the Wildcats like to use with speedy wideout Mike Thomas.

The Cats had run the play three times the week before against Oregon with Thomas scoring a touchdown on one of the throws.

This time, quarterback Willie Tuitama faked a pass to Thomas and hit streaking Johnson, who was 5 yards behind the nearest receiver.

"Like magic," Johnson said after the game. "I knew it was a touchdown," Tuitama added.

"Beautiful," Arizona offensive coordinator Mike Canales quipped.

About all Arizona fans had to say about execution during a 1-7 start was they were in favor of it, at least for Canales.

Then Tuitama was inserted for struggling Richard Kovalcheck, and the offense took off.

With 335 yards and a pair of touchdowns in his first start, Tuitama looked anything like the true freshman he is, only a year removed from quarterbacking St. Mary's High School in Stockton, Calif.

"Nervous? Nah, Willie was fine in the huddle," Thomas explained. "I don't think he gets nervous."

Suddenly, Canales' stock is rising along with the production of the offense.

He converses regularly with his former bosses at North Carolina State: Tennessee Titans assistant coach Norm Chow, Wolfpack coach Chuck Amato and New York Jets coach Herm Edwards.

"They keep telling me to keep my head up," Canales said. "Chuck will say, 'Look, you're the same guy who called plays when we beat Florida State.' You have to keep plugging along."

Such is the life of an offensive coordinator.

In recent years, Web sites like the defunct www.FireGregDavis.com have sprung up on the Internet, ground-roots campaigns to put heat on college play-callers, in this example, Greg Davis at Texas.

"Personally, I think he's one of the best," Tuitama said of Canales. "He puts you in real good situations."

UCLA wide receivers coach Dino Babers can relate to criticism. He was the offensive coordinator under **** Tomey when the Cats went 12-1 in 1998.

Babers was armed with quarterbacks Keith Smith and Ortege Jenkins, running back Trung Canidate, wide receiver Dennis Northcutt and an offensive line that featured future NFLers Edwin Mulitalo, Makoa Freitas, Steven Grace and Yusuf Scott.

"First of all, you have to have some players," Babers said. "Then, it's what you're doing with them."

In 2001, Babers left for the graveyard of offensive coordinators, Texas A&M. He parted ways with defensive-oriented coach R.C. Slocum after two seasons and landed at Pitt as running backs coach.

"The hardest thing is keeping everyone working toward a common goal, striving for success of the team instead of individual accolades," he added.

Now in his second year with the Bruins and coach Karl Dorrell, Babers is on the staff of a team that is 8-0 and fifth in the latest BCS standings.

"An offensive coordinator's job is to make sure to put the players in the best light," Babers said. "You have to see what a player can do against an opponent.

"That's why you might run for 200 yards against one team. Then the next week you only get 100 yards, and everyone's wondering where the running game went."

Before the season, Arizona coach Mike Stoops vowed to be more involved with the offense. Realistically, however, his expertise has been needed more on defense, where the Cats have been ravaged by injuries.

He still communicates with Canales on the headsets during games, but their discussions are related more to game management than what specific plays to call.

"I'll tell him, 'You've got two plays here'" to get a first down, Stoops explained. "I ask questions and try to suggest ideas based on the perspective of what I see from the defense."

Stoops admitted he tries to stay out of Canales' way but wants to have input based on his knowledge of defenses.

"It's hard for me," he said. "I need to do a better job, but it's hard to do because I've never coached offense."

Not only has Tuitama re-energized the team, he brings a swagger and a knowledge of the playbook uncommon for a first-year player.

"Coach Canales will send in a play, and I'll be thinking of the same play in that particular situation," Tuitama said. "We think the same way in attacking the defense."

Expect the game plan to expand from last week.

"We haven't shied off, we really haven't," Canales said of the script for UCLA. "This year we know what our kids can do.

"We've taken their strengths and fit the personnel to the offense. And now we have a quarterback who can do some things that really opens things up."

And that makes everyone - including the play-caller - look better.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sports/101114

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,042
  • Days Won:  469

People called for Canales' head too...

Same story, different OC.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

People called for Canales' head too...

Same story, different OC.

I was always one of the people who didn't understand that?  I though he put a much more interesting product on the field than we have now.

Well, we sure can't say Canales hasn't done well for himself at other programs, huh?