• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Well-Rested Bulls Work On Passing

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,266
  • Days Won:  255

If we played to our strength why not run the wishbone and become an option team?

Guest Bull_94
If we played to our strength why not run the wishbone and become an option team?

We should with the personnel we have. Could be dangerous with both Ponton and Hall back there. I believe PJ was an option QB in high school. Same with Denson. Doesn't make much sense to expect them to run the spread effectively. Doesn't seem like our coaches think very logically.

How about a power I with a big blocking fullback?

Anybody see the WVU game? They dominated the #1 BE defense last night. I believe UCONN is a top ten D in the country as well. Notice their passing #'s:

9-18 144  1td - 1 int

and their rushing

57 carries 228 yds. 5 tds

It ain't rocket science. I hope we run the ball 76% of the time like they did. Don't we run the same offense??

Guest S.  Bien

We don't need to run the wishbone, just run the offense like WVU runs it.  The offense WVU ran last night Pat Julmiste could flourish in.  Their QB threw 16 times, they had two direct snaps to Slaton (the other stud FR RB), a shovel pass, some nice controlled passes then they rolled him out relentlessly and if his passing option was closed they gave the green light to run, run, run.  They haven't had a good passer in four years, Rasheed Marshall, now White, yet they still spread the field and find ways to move the ball.  They run better than anyone out of the spread.  

Pat could work well in WVU's offense.

But I guess Rod Smith was gone before Rodriguez got to that part of the lesson.  

As far as Dawsey to me the jury is still out.  He's a great guy, the kids respect him, and he's a good recruiter however the past two years, particularly this year the receivers are fundamentally doing so much wrong.  That's half this offense's problem, and hasn't helped PJ one bit is the receiver's inabilities.  Cutting routes short, stopping routes, not getting out of the blocks quick enough, dropping balls, below average tackling.  Everywhere they're not playing well.

I give him a bit of a mulligan because last year the receiving play did pick up toward the tail-end of the season and guys were blocking better.  This season he's loaded with youth and inexperience so that's difficult, but for us to be a real effective running team then our receivers need to sustain blocks, hold onto balls that come to them, and finish routes...

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

If you watched the WV-UConn game last night one thing that was very obvious was how much faster WV looked. Hopefully that had something to do with the long break and rest. If thats the case the Bulls should be flying.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

By the way i will point out that those stats he has on the three losses are misleading,you take the UM game out and just look at the losses vs Penn St and Pitt and PJ stats are;

70 passes 39 completions 56% competion 400 yds 3 tds 1 int

and folks while not great those are not bad stats. The turn overs have kiled us

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Might as well write-off this season...with Julmiste at the helm we will be going nowhere. 3 weeks of practice isn't going to all of a sudden make him a gamer.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

why do so few people get it hawaiibull?

if people think joe montana will be showing up tomorrow they will be disappointed

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

How about we F the passing game and run the freakin ball

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

inexperienced WRs....terrible QB.....

great RBs......above average-good offensive line......blocking TEs......

Why do we even have to raise the QUESTION about our play calling. Isnt it OBVIOUS that we are a RUNNING football team?!

Why are we, year in and year out, trying to establish the pass to set up the run. When we should be establishing the run to set up play action.

.......Speaking of play action, quick, name the last successful play action pass. Qucik, which play action pass stands out in your mind. Quick.

With defenses keying on Hall and Ponton, should we not be running the play action NUMEROUS times per drive?! With a QB like Julsucke, wouldnt we be better off trying to freeze the safeties? I mean, he cant SEE the safeties as it is...!

....im rambling now, but damnit if this doesnt seem so simple.....