• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Well-Rested Bulls Work On Passing

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

TAMPA -- If the first half of the season has proven anything about South Florida football, it is this: The Bulls can't overcome turnovers and they can't depend on their passing game to bring them back when they fall behind.

This is a team that has to run the ball and keep the game close to win.

In the three games the Bulls have won, all at home, quarterback Pat Julmiste has thrown a total of 35 passes, completing 20 for 259 yards with one interception and one touchdown.

In the three games the Bulls have lost, all on the road, Julmiste has thrown 95 times with 47 completions for 469 yards, four interceptions and four touchdowns. Those losses all got a big boost from South Florida turnovers, five in the first half alone in a 27-7 loss at Miami, and most recently two inside the 20 at Pitt, which the Panthers converted to touchdowns in a 31-17 win.

USF travels to Rutgers on Saturday to begin the second half of its season, a critical five-game stretch in which the Bulls cannot afford anymore slipups if they wish to surprise and win the Big East championship.

There can be no mistakes and the Bulls' passing game must become effective while the outcome is in doubt if they are to make a run.

With the West Virginia game postponed until Dec. 3, USF has had three weeks to hone its offense and smooth out the bumps, particularly in the passing game.

"It's given us a chance to go back to fundamentals. The only negative is that we haven't played any games," Julmiste said.

To help him stay sharp mentally, Julmiste says he has watched a lot of football on television.

"Sometimes the camera angle isn't the best, but I try to watch what other teams are doing, watch the defense and go through a progression in my mind," Julmiste said.

Offensively, Julmiste said the Bulls have had a chance to "go back to square one, start from the beginning again. We started with simple plays to get a better overview of what we're trying to accomplish. We've had more time to work things out."

In particular, Julmiste and his group of young receivers are trying to get more in sync.

Sophomore Amari Jackson says that at times, the South Florida receivers have become too eager and have not run proper routes, turning to look for the ball instead of finishing their patterns. This has thrown off the timing in the passing game.

But Julmiste puts some of the problems on his own shoulders. "Sometimes I hold the ball too long, and when they're open, I've got to get it to them," he said. "We've been working to make sure the receivers have the right depth on their routes. It messes up the timing if they cut the routes off short."

Rutgers, a quiet 6-2 and dismissed early after losing to Illinois, has been flying under the radar and will be a tough test.

In addition to a more consistent passing game, the Bulls must control the ball.

"We have to execute," Julmiste said. "When we don't execute, we turn the ball over with our defense in bad field position and their backs to the wall."

And then, the only ones who get executed are the Bulls.

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051102/NEWS/511020405/1002/SPORTS

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

If it works then I will take back all bad comments I have said about the long break

• Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  401

To stay sharp he watched television? That just sounds funny. Oh well Go Bulls!

Guest S.  Bien

I've been harping on it for weeks, the receivers are just as much at fault for the anemic passing offense as PJ.   A bad combination, a shaky QB and young WR's that are still learning.

This is why I've been upset at the coordinator, why force PJ to drop back and look at receivers playing street lot football.  That's a recipe for disaster, work with your better receivers and run a bunch of iso plays, and quick hits.  It lessens the timing issues, and gives PJ a quick target.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

"a shaky QB"   :o LOL

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

Hopefully Rod Smith will keep with a game strategy, not just panic gun-slingin'.  We all know how that will go...  

I WANT TO SEE THE POWER-I!  You gotta play to your strengths!    

S Bien, what do you think, is Lawrence Dawsey overrated?  Out of his league in the coaching position?  Or is it just inexperience at the WR position?  (I sure hope that's what it is).  

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

...smooth out the bumps...

Umm, it's more like a ROADBLOCK!   :-/

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

julmiste speaks the obvious

i don't have a good feeling about rutgers game