• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Orange Bowl Eyes USF

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

Part of Brett's story today in the Trib:

Orange Bowl Eyes USF

TAMPA - Orange Bowl chief executive officer Keith Tribble will attend Saturday's University of South Florida-West Virginia game to scout the teams as possible Orange Bowl participants.

The Orange Bowl chooses either the Big East or Atlantic Coast Conference champion as its anchor team. WVU (6-1, 3-0) is the Big East's only unbeaten, while USF (3-3, 1-1) is one of the league's five one-loss teams.

"The Big East is one of our partners and I've made a commitment to go to each one of the new schools," Tribble said. "I thought it would be a good game when I circled it and West Virginia is leading the conference and South Florida is trying to be the spoiler and get back in the race."

Orange Bowl media relations director Joe Hornstein, a 1995 USF graduate, and a Motor City Bowl representative, also will attend.

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBBA76ZYEE.html

Greg talks about it to in the Times:

Bulls auditioning for bowl officials

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

TAMPA - It's just another nice perk of USF's membership in the Big East: Among those in attendance for Saturday's homecoming game against No. 20 West Virginia will be Keith Tribble, the chief executive officer of the Orange Bowl.

"South Florida has come a long way in nine years to be in the position they're in now, and they have a great opportunity to contend for a bowl game," said Tribble, who plans to visit each of the Big East's three new programs this fall. "(USF) had a great win against Louisville, and with West Virginia coming off a big victory Saturday, this lends itself to be an exciting game."

Tribble will be in Tallahassee for next week's Florida State-Maryland game and said he hopes to make it to Gainesville when the Gators host the Seminoles next month.

Another bowl will be on hand Saturday scouting USF: the Motor City Bowl in Detroit, which could look to the Bulls if there aren't enough Big Ten teams to fill one of its contracted spots.

"West Virginia is looking like the leader in the clubhouse, but South Florida is an attractive team that has the potential to be bowl-eligible," said Ken Hoffman, the Motor City Bowl's executive director. "Everything is so topsy-turvy in the Big Ten that we need to wait a little bit longer before we start scouting potential teams there."

The Motor City gets the No. 7 team in the Big Ten, and while the league already has nine teams with four or more wins, the bowl could lose out if the conference puts an at-large team into a BCS bowl.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/10/19/Sports/Bulls_auditioning_for.shtml

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  0

I must be missing something....  ??? Anybody heard of a little team called Notre Dame? Unless I am mistaken, Notre Dame would take the top Big East spot.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I must be missing something....  ??? Anybody heard of a little team called Notre Dame? Unless I am mistaken, Notre Dame would take the top Big East spot.

Notre Dame goes to the BCS as an at-large bid.  They are only part of the Big East bowl equation for non-BCS bowls.  That's why every year we should want them to go to the BCS or not be bowl eligible at all.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  118

Thanks for the clarification   :)

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

No prob

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

I thought (if anything) it was going to be the Motor City bowl or somthing like that...

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

Notre Dame goes to the BCS as an at-large bid.  They are only part of the Big East bowl equation for non-BCS bowls.  That's why every year we should want them to go to the BCS or not be bowl eligible at all.

This is my preference!

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

they couldn't have been excited about our last performance in the OB

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677

Nd doesnt get the Be bcs bid.... only other bowls.. with 2 losses in hand they prob go to the gator bowl this year...