• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CJL Sounded very frustrated on the Radio.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

I agree we need a change NOW.  The season is not over...obviously right now it may seem like an unreachable goal but we are still in the hunt for the Big East, and at the very least our first Bowl appearance.  If we are going to make a change and try to get this team on track, it needs to happen now.  Otherwise sticking with Julmiste and a loss against WVU is pretty much throwing away this season.  Something we did last year by redshirting seniors and starting a ton of freshman.  How many years can we afford to throw away?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

go with ca hill and remove grothe redshirt and lets see what happens

he needs to make 5-10 throws a game

i would rather take my chances with him

the big east is terrible and we have a real chance to go to a bowl with minimal qb play

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

go with ca hill and remove grothe redshirt and lets see what happens

he needs to make 5-10 throws a game

i would rather take my chances with him

the big east is terrible and we have a real chance to go to a bowl with minimal qb play

Can't really disagree with what you are saying. Scary thought....  ;)

The bigger question is next year.  Do we really want PJ running the team next year? IMO, if we lose next week against WVU we let Hill play and consider taking Grothe redshirt away if we plan on giving him considerable playing time for the final 4 games.  This give us a head start for next year. If they stink up the joint we can always go back to PJ.

Funny how two games in the BE season, we are already at a crossroads for this season and possibly next.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  231

Funny how two games in the BE season, we are already at a crossroads for this season and possibly next.

Thats exactly the impression I got from what I heard of CJL after the game. Its scary to have to have a "FUTURE" Qb that cannot play/learn without possibly costing us another year without a servicable QB.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,766
  • Days Won:  3

Do we really want PJ running the team next year? IMO, if we lose next week against WVU we let Hill play and consider taking Grothe redshirt away if we plan on giving him considerable playing time for the final 4 games.

At what point do we say that our current QB situation is a wash?

It's impossible to know what CJL sees during the week. Is it that PJ is phenomenal within the confines of the practice field, but is a basket-cast on game day? Is his "progress" from last year measured all around? If so, it has to be offset by game day performance.

I don't like the idea of second guessing the boss, and he knows light-years more about what he's doing than I, however, we can not afford* to continue this route - unless he has some master plan up his sleeve (e.g. take the first year in the NBE as a 'training' run...).  

I'm really tempted to say...let's see what the new guys bring to the table.

* it's one thing to be in the Big East, quite another to be a winner in the BE.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  100

Grothe should be named the starter for the rest of the season and use the last 5-6 games to get ready for the future.  He couldn't do worse than either Julmiste or Denson, and apparently Hill isn't part of the equation or he would be playing already.  If we stay with Pat than this year will be a waste, and we will be in the same boat next year.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

At what point do we say that our current QB situation is a wash?

It's impossible to know what CJL sees during the week. Is it that PJ is phenomenal within the confines of the practice field, but is a basket-cast on game day? Is his "progress" from last year measured all around? If so, it has to be offset by game day performance.

I don't like the idea of second guessing the boss, and he knows light-years more about what he's doing than I, however, we can not afford* to continue this route - unless he has some master plan up his sleeve (e.g. take the first year in the NBE as a 'training' run...).  

I'm really tempted to say...let's see what the new guys bring to the table.

* it's one thing to be in the Big East, quite another to be a winner in the BE.

From the various summer practice reports from Rivals and Scout, there was alot of talk about none of the QBs looking very good. PJ was supposedly the best of the bunch only b/c he knew the playbook and at least  knowing were the ball was supposed to go....getting it there was a different story. IMO, Grothe and/or Hill are the future. If that is true, I think we see what they can do  over the final 4 games if we lose next week. They have more upside than PJ, just from the sheer fact that they can't be anymore ineffective.

I realize that MG would bummed about losing his redshirt year but if he got meaningful PT over the last 4-games it would be worth it. IMO, PJ becomes the QB of last resort next year.

Something else to consider is that the competition down the stretch other than WVU is not  that overwhelming. I'd rather have the young QBs get some experience now, than have then play early next year when the schedule is top heavy with tough OOC road games.

However, with all this said....I really hope that PJ can't get his sh!t together next week and lead us to an upset over what should be a ranked WVU team. Then again, if we do that I think the rest of the BE is going to kill us for knocking out their best teams and losing to teams that lose to Ohio.

Something else to consider is that the competition down the stretch other than WVU is not  that overwhelming. I'd rather have the young QBs get some experience now, than have then play early next year when the schedule is top heavy with tough OOC road games.

Yeah, North Carolina and UCF are daunting places for young QBs to play...  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Guys, PJ was not the whole problem yesterday.  Who calls a long pass on 3rd and 13 (Peyton landed in bounds but replay blew the call) ??  Who calls a reverse when inside the opponents 15 ??  Who calls plays where the QB has no "check down" option ??  Who doesn't call a deep post play when the safeties are up to stop the run ??

I am not on the fire Rod Smith tangent yet -- he did a decent job against UofL and Miami (good plays poor execution) -- but he really didn't adjust his game plan when it was obvious that Pitt had the answers.

PJ overthew a few players... and had happier feet than a frog on a hot plate... but it was not entirely his fault.

Finally, I will say this... people expect that changing the QB couldn't be worse. I beg to differ.  Remember, we all thought that Banks was not good and BEGGED for Julmiste to be in...

We have to trust that the coaches want to put the best talent on the field.  If they are saying that Hill is not ready, how can you claim otherwise? Are you at the practices watching Hill's progress?

PJ is our QB. Do I like that? No. Do I have any choice? No.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

grothe and ca hill should be our qbs

lift the red shirt

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550

All of these QB's have been developed with Rod Smith (as either Qb coach or OC).

It should be obvious where the problem lies.