• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Clark out three or four weeks with injury

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

This should make things a little easier on the Bullls defensive backfield

With a 63-27 win over Oregon State Saturday, the University of Louisville jumped two spots in the Coaches' Poll up to No. 8 in the nation. Everything clicked for the Louisville offense, which rolled up 553 yards and an amazing eight touchdowns. Coach Bobby Petrino received a bit of bad news on Monday, however, when it was determined that starting wide receiver Broderick Clark would likely miss the next three to four games with an injury sustained in the first half of the OSU win.   

Associated Press

Louisville wide receiver Broderick Clark was sidelined with an injury that will have him miss three to four weeks of the season.

On the opening kickoff, Clark came off the field limping with what appeared to be a knee injury. Clark has returned kicks for Louisville for all four seasons including his freshman season when he was named a Sporting News All-American. Clark had four catches for 45 yards in Louisville's opening game against Kentucky, but Louisville was forced to play the remainder of the OSU game without him.

As Louisville prepares for the first game of the Big East schedule against South Florida this Saturday, Clark will be forced to sit out and begin rehabilitating.

"I'm not really sure (when Clark will be back), but he already started yesterday on the rehab," Petrino said Monday. "He was already down there working real hard and he was able to get his heel off the ground, get his leg up in the first stages of the rehab that you do. That looked pretty good on that, he was doing well."

For the Oregon State game, wide receiver Harry Douglas and runningback George Stripling returned kicks for the Cardinals. Douglas and Stripling are expected to continue kickoff returns until Clark's return in late October.

Although a strained knee is sometimes a two week long recovery process for football players, Clark's injury may take longer to rehabilitate because he is a shifty wide receiver and kick returner.

"It is definitely a tougher thing for a receiver to come off of than an offensive or defensive lineman because of the amount of cutting you do and change of direction," Petrino said. "You know, when we say three to four weeks that is an optimistic look. Some guys can come off it that fast and some guys it will take longer."

Clark, a 6-foot, 185-pound receiver, was Louisville's fourth leading receiver a year ago with 441 yards on 27 catches and four touchdowns.

"He is definitely a weapon," sophomore quarterback Brian Brohm said Monday. "He is so fast and has good hands. Losing Broderick is definitely not good, but our other guys will have to step up and make plays."

"This means that we have to do a good job of getting Robert Haskins ready to play," Petrino said. "Two years ago he had a great year for us. He is very fast and can make plays. He knows all the routes and he can play different positions. We've got to get him going, Elijah Daniel now has to pick it up too. Elijah had a real good spring and summer for us. He hasn't been in the game much, but he now has to get himself ready to play. And possibly even Scott Long, the true freshman. He would be the next guy in line. I think he really has the ability to get it done, he just has to sustain the effort and maintain the focus when he is taking more reps in practice."

knightslaststand3el.jpg

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Also heard their Center was out . . .

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

the guy who replaced clark had 2 touchdowns and over 100 yards last week.  

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19

Clark is our 3rd WR who is generally known more as a kick returner than a WR.  Like Rezz said, his replacement Mario Urrutia is a 6'6" redshirt freshman who had 7 catches for 175 yards and 2 TDs in his first action as a Cardinal.  As far as I know, Clark was our only injury from last game.  I know Oregon State lost their long snapper for the year, but I think our center is fine.  I'm looking forward to a hard fought game this weekend!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Thought I saw something on an ESPN ticker ... could be wrong.

BULLieve this will be a war similiar to the last one here in Tampa ... except we win in regulation  8)

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19

Well I'd have to say we're a little better now than we were 2 years ago, as are your Bulls probably.   ;)  I'll be cheering USF to win every game, except for Saturday of course.   ;D

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

A lot will depend on the running game, UL has not faced a good running team this year.

Kentucky has failed to rush for 100 yds in playing UL,Idaho st(1AA) and Indiana. avg.89 yds a game

Oregon State has not rushed for 90 yds in their 3 games vs UL,Portland St (1AA) and Boise State

USF in last weeks game out rushed what UK and OSU have rushed all year

USF 326 yds vs UCF vs UK 268 in 3 games,OSU 202 in 3 games