• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CD at receiver???

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  473
  • Days Won:  2

I haven't seen anyone talking about this article.  Is CD moving to receiver after the below average performances or is this just trying to get a great athlete on the field?  To me, it seems like a little bit of both.  His future may not be at quarterback and they may be paving the way for a Grothe / Julmiste showdown next year.

Bulls quarterback spends some time at receiver

By Times Staff

Published September 13, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Courtney Denson , who started at quarterback in USF's opener against Penn State but was pulled after a lost fumble, lined up at receiver during practice Monday.

Denson, a transfer from Auburn, joined fellow quarterback Carlton Hill in lining up as a receiver.

And coach Jim Leavitt said Denson could be there Saturday against Central Florida.

"We almost put him in the game at receiver the other day," he said. "It could be (a lot like Hill's situation). He's a really good athlete, and we want a spot where he can play for us."

OhioBull

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Hey Jim how bout putting him at DB?  I mean he was only good enough to play there at one of the better SEC programs.  What's the problem?

As far as his situation being similiar to Carlton's?  Carlton only got what, 2 series at QB.  I think we can all see the CD experiment at QB sin't working out.  Why not give Ch the majoity of mop up?  He's a supersized CD.  In addition, how bout utilizing C. Hill a little more, even if he's in at receiver?  True FR can play receiver.  look at Johnny P.  I believe C. Hill only has 2 catches.  This kid was the #2 recruit in the BE behind Gwaltney at WV.  We aren't even using him against FAMU!

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  102
  • Days Won:  0

It was the first time at practice that either Greg or I had seen Denson line up with receiver. Leavitt claims they had done it before, which might as well be true because media is only allowed to watch the first 30 minutes of practice. That being said, Leavitt seems to want to find a way to use all three of his quarterbacks, trying to find a way to utilize all three - Denson, Hill and Julmiste - and their speed.

On another note - something that had no room in today's Times notebook - Denson had a hard collison with S.J. Green after he caught a pass at receiver. Green was streaking and collided hard with Denson, who had gone to the inside of the play to take his reps at quarterback, instead of running outside the playing field and going behind the lines at the respective places.

Denson and Green were not seriously hurt; both got up quickly after the collison, but Denson limped away, and at his next rep at quarterback during 7-on-7's threw an interception to D'Juan Brown, who's still running with second string defense.

Mike

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,653
  • Days Won:  29

With Brant's injury, maybe at DB . . . but we NEED a sold #2 QB.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037

With Brant's injury, maybe at DB . . . but we NEED a sold #2 QB.

I still say...let Grothe compete for #2 and if he doesnt see the field then he redshirts use Hill for mop up or hell even Denson.... Matt is Better than all but PJ right now with no prac time!! maybe I am off base and agian I have no prob with him redshirting at all, but when I watch 2 and 3 QB kinda gets to me a little!!

Understand Flip ... I think after these 2 weeks, we really should look into more snaps for GrothE ...

Our #2's look like ... Number Two !  :-[

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Gosh I hope Matt Grothe is as good as Flipflop says.  We have got to have a solid QB for the next 4 years.  Denson does not appear to be the answer.  Let C. Hill do mop up like brohm last year with l'ville.  he'll either stink or swim but we'll be better off in the future.  Even if he stinks, if he's only in there for mop up it won't make a difference.  2 reps vs. FAMU?  Either he is really bad or we're hiding something...

Flipflop, is Matt as quick as Denson.  I would assume he has a better arm?

GrothE is a SMART QB ... makes great decisions. Sees the field well and doesn't throw the ball "up for anyone to catch" ... I watched him quite a bit the last 2 years.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

I still say...let Grothe compete for #2 and if he doesnt see the field then he redshirts use Hill for mop up or hell even Denson.... Matt is Better than all but PJ right now with no prac time!! maybe I am off base and agian I have no prob with him redshirting at all, but when I watch 2 and 3 QB kinda gets to me a little!!

When you have a good freshman at QB, but a better starter that is older, you REDSHIRT him.  Very few exceptions to this.  You will even let less effective QB's be backups, just so you can have the young QB for four years.

Think about what would have happened if we could have had marquel blackwell an extra year.  We might have won CUSA in the 2003 season, at very least made a bowl!

Grothe gets reps in practice and will all spring.  An extra year is a nice thing to have.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  473
  • Days Won:  2

I could be wrong, but I think that the staff is paying Matt a big complement by red-shirting him.  I believe that they think that Matt will be our QB of the future and thus the red-shirt.  Why waste a year when all of our talent is maturing this year and we will be OK with PJ, CD, and CH?  This gives Grothe a chance to mature that much more and be ready to take over the helm no later than his sophmore year.  It seems like a smart move by CJL and he is positioning us in the best possible way to make a run at the Big East title for several years to come.  What is better, playing now with not much to gain or playing in a couple of years in a BCS bowl and possibly a chance for the NC (yes, I am dreaming).  The way I see it, Matt Grothe is our QB of the future and he is going to take us there.