• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Denson Will Start At QB For USF Against Penn State

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  420
  • Days Won:  0

TAMPA Sophomore Courtney Denson transferred to the University of South Florida from Auburn last year for a chance to start at quarterback. He will get his first opportunity Saturday at Penn State.

Denson will be the Bulls' starting quarterback for their season opener against the Nittany Lions. Denson and junior Pat Julmiste, who started 10 games last season, had been locked in tight battle since the spring.

"I played quarterback my whole life and had never played another position, so when I was switched to defensive back at Auburn, I was uncomfortable," Denson said Tuesday. "I never got a shot to compete at quarterback, that's what really bothered me."

Despite competing against each other, Denson and Julmiste have become close friends and are even roommates this fall.

"Pat and I want to see each other succeed," Denson said. "We want the best guy to be out on the field for the team."

USF coach Jim Leavitt said earlier this week that no matter who started, both quarterbacks -- as well as freshman Carlton Hill -- would play Saturday.

"They have both worked very hard and are more than capable," Leavitt said. "I am expecting both players to be big for us this year."

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

Family=Success!!! No "T.O's or Randy Moss's" on this team. Just win baby!!!

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

as much as i want Denson to have a shot, im worried about new QB jitters, still not comfortable with the system and 100k+ people screaming in your ear at the slightest mistake

TAMPA Sophomore Courtney Denson transferred to the University of South Florida from Auburn last year for a chance to start at quarterback. He will get his first opportunity Saturday at Penn State.

Denson will be the Bulls' starting quarterback for their season opener against the Nittany Lions. Denson and junior Pat Julmiste, who started 10 games last season, had been locked in tight battle since the spring.

"I played quarterback my whole life and had never played another position, so when I was switched to defensive back at Auburn, I was uncomfortable," Denson said Tuesday. "I never got a shot to compete at quarterback, that's what really bothered me."

Despite competing against each other, Denson and Julmiste have become close friends and are even roommates this fall.

"Pat and I want to see each other succeed," Denson said. "We want the best guy to be out on the field for the team."

USF coach Jim Leavitt said earlier this week that no matter who started, both quarterbacks -- as well as freshman Carlton Hill -- would play Saturday.

"They have both worked very hard and are more than capable," Leavitt said. "I am expecting both players to be big for us this year."

Source? Link?

While I appreciate the posting, it has become standard practice here to include at least a link when you post copywritten material here.  I think that's a good SOP.

Nevermind. I found it - from the Trib.

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBI2Z5W3DE.html

However, from the St Pete Times today:

USF: no QB yet

TAMPA - Jim Leavitt still won't say whether junior Pat Julmiste or sophomore Courtney Denson will start at quarterback for Saturday's opener at Penn State, but Julmiste has the experience of leading USF to victories last season at TCU and Alabama-Birmingham.

Julmiste was better on the road last year, throwing one interception and five touchdowns, to seven interceptions and two touchdowns at home.

"The quarterback has to be the calmest and coolest guy on the field," Julmiste said.

Denson is showing no effects of the sore hamstring that sidelined him from USF's last scrimmage, and while he never has attempted a pass in a college game, Leavitt might not decide until Saturday. One reason the two quarterbacks have handled the uncertainty so well is that they're friends and roommates.

And which quarterback is the messy one in the apartment?

"I'm a clean guy, but Courtney is too. I asked him before he moved in, "I hope you're not a messy guy,' but he's showed me he's not."

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/02/Sports/Wuerffel_safe_with_hi.shtml

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

That's what I thought... CJL aint' gonna let the cat out of the bag until it's time...   Just Pray for our boys and GO BULLS !!!!!

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  69

Denson is in for rough game!He will be under pressure all day long, better hope Hall has a big day cause your passing game will be shut down.Good luck  PSU 35-10

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

Denson is in for rough game!He will be under pressure all day long, better hope Hall has a big day cause your passing game will be shut down.Good luck  PSU 35-10

Luckily we have no passing game.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

We can't judge either QB based on the outcome of this game.  PSu will be the second toughest D we face all year.  (Miami being the best).  

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

CD could be lightening in a bottle

i agree with this decision