• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who is your starting QB gonna be?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

Do you remember Brian Fisher?  Remember 2003?  That's Carlton Hill's use at QB in a nutshell, nothing elaborate just simple packages to use his gifted athleticism.

Is Hill that much more athletic than Denson?  I doubt it.  Now this is only going on what I've read and looking at how they were rated out of HS.  Haven't seen either play yet, so it remains to be seen.  

Denson was very highly rated and his ability to scramble and make people miss has been well documented.  I don't think Hill will add anything that Denson can't do, and putting in a true Freshman who hasn't had many reps with the first team or even been through a Spring practice seems absurd.  Remember that Hill played against weak competition in HS, and it is a big step up to the talent he will see at PSU.

I say let him go through a Spring practice and prepare properly - don't just throw him in there - even if the package is limited.  The only way this makes sense is that if CJL promised Hill playing time at QB this year to get him to sign.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919

Jake...

Did you even see the Louisville and Cincinnati games in 2003??

Do you remember a little 5' 9" guy wearing #5??

He was a former HS quarterback playing WR at USF.  He was fast and elusive, a good athlete.

He lined up at QB a few times.  Scored touchdowns when we badly needed them.

Hill is more athletic than Denson, probably faster, and a better runner.  Hill could run option plays or QB draws far better than PJ or CD.

Mark my words, Carlton Hill will take MORE THAN ONE snap at QB against Penn State.

And if you would care to put your money on the line, I'd wager $20 on it.

I doubt Hill is a 'far better' runner than Denson at this point.  Denson has worked significantly with the first team in Fall practice and gone through Spring practice too.  Hill has done neither.  I just don't see how playing Hill at QB against PSU is a wise move.

If USF has to resort to having Hill take one snap at PSU, then the Bulls are in worse shape at QB than I imagined.  

Guest S.  Bien

Is Hill that much more athletic than Denson?  I doubt it.  Now this is only going on what I've read and looking at how they were rated out of HS.  Haven't seen either play yet, so it remains to be seen.  

Denson was very highly rated and his ability to scramble and make people miss has been well documented.  I don't think Hill will add anything that Denson can't do, and putting in a true Freshman who hasn't had many reps with the first team or even been through a Spring practice seems absurd.  Remember that Hill played against weak competition in HS, and it is a big step up to the talent he will see at PSU.

I say let him go through a Spring practice and prepare properly - don't just throw him in there - even if the package is limited.  The only way this makes sense is that if CJL promised Hill playing time at QB this year to get him to sign.

JAKE, here's the thing, Hill is more athletic then Denson, he's also faster than Denson- Hill's considered by many to be the best or top 3 athletes on the team.  With that being said Denson is no slouch as a player or athlete, however you're going to see our staff use Hill in a myrad of different ways, direct snaps, put him at WR so defenses must respect his speed AND the potential of a WR double pass play, you'll see him run some option.  Hill's going to be a diversion, much like Derrick Williams will be for PSU....

Also Jake, you must understand that this season is very, very long, and full of many pitfalls and problems.  If we want to win more than we lose then we need to get AS MANY weapons on the field at the same time as possible.  Also, we need to avoid getting Denson hurt.  So, you don't want Denson rolling out, or doing too much option on goalline situations, ala Fisher in 2003.  You then bring in the next best athlete at QB- Carlton Hill.

Imagine what would happen if they had Hill at wideout, Denson at QB, and everyone else.  Suddenly the safeties must step back and freeze for a second on the opposite side to protect against a double pass, the defense must be on extra guard against a reverse, and all the while the defense is thinking all this Denson hands it to Hall right up the gut.  The minute you get the oppositions defense THINKING, is the minute you've got an advantage.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  69

beastiebull,

Did Denson play QB at Auburn? NO he didn't he has no QB experience at all on a collegiate level.We have no tape cause he never played!

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Not the point.  He ain't a freshman and he has played big games in front of big crowds.  Maybe not at at QB but if you think the crowd is gong to somehow intimidate him you're wrong.  He did play his HS ball in a very tough division and was a top rated QB coming out.  He has the skills and he adds the element of surprise.  Noone at PSu knows what he's capable of.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Noone at PSu knows what he's capable of.

Neither do we.  :-/

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

Actually PSU fans we have our secret weapon at QB. We have been keeping him stealth so no one will know who he is. But he is out now. Let me introduce you to ...ah nuts! just can't bring myself to do it! You'll just have to wait till game time!   ;D    Reaper

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I agree there is no way an inexperinced will have success against are defense.The only way you will have alot of success is if Hall has a big game.

Says who? It's the first game of the season and you have no idea what to expect from USF. Yes, PSU has a great D, but many things can happen in the first game.

Hill could play at multiple positions on offense and, as Bien noted in a previous post in this thread, that can keep your D on their heels, which is to USF's advantage. Hall could be a nice decoy if you are going to zero in on him all game.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  69

If you guys can throw the ball you will have chance if not we will win!Passing is your key to winning in my mind cause that will free up Hall.If not we will just stack the line and force you to throw when you don't want to and cause TO's.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Actually PSU fans we have our secret weapon at QB. We have been keeping him stealth so no one will know who he is. But he is out now. Let me introduce you to ...ah nuts! just can't bring myself to do it! You'll just have to wait till game time!   ;D    Reaper

Let me give them a hint ........ His name rhymes with Meverino.

Mods, please delete if you think I've divulged too much ...