• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Amp Hill to USF likely

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Bulls Practice Notebook

Published: Aug 18, 2005

TAMPA - WR Amp Hill, considered one of LSU's top wide receivers until a debilitating knee injury his freshman season, has left LSU and appears headed to the University of South Florida.

"Nothing's official yet, but South Florida is where he really, really wants to go," said Hill's mother, Shandra.

Hill must sit out the 2005 season and would have two years eligibility remaining in 2006 and 2007.

As a freshman in 2003, Hill worked into LSU's four-man rotation with future NFL WRs Michael Clayton (Bucs) and Devery Henderson (Saints) and current LSU senior Skyler Green. However, in the second week of fall drills, Hill tore the collateral and posterior cruciate ligaments in his right knee -- requiring three surgeries -- and missed the season.

Last year he played in only three games, but in LSU's spring game he had four catches for 80 yards, including an 8-yard touchdown. He received LSU's most improved award after spring drills.

In Hill's final two seasons at Jacksonville's First Coast High School, Hill had 116 receptions for nearly 1,600 yards, earning prep All-American honors as a senior.

If Hill transfers to USF he would be reunited with USF wide receivers coach Lawrence Dawsey, who was an LSU graduate assistant in 2003.

TOO CLOSE TO CALL: Although sophomore QB Courtney Denson worked with the first team for a third consecutive day, the battle for USF's starting QB with Pat Julmiste remains virtually even.

"I want to give Courtney time with the first team all this week to see how he does with continuity," offensive coordinator Rod Smith said. "I'd say Pat and Courtney are still equal, but Courtney's really made a big push and is doing a lot of good things."

With the season opener at Penn State 17 days away, the Bulls remain without a clear-cut starter.

"Hopefully it will separate itself out," Smith said. "It's going to be a situation where as long as both guys are playing good, then we're going to give them equal reps. Heck, maybe both might play."

ODDS AND ENDS: Because sophomore DE Jarriett Buie, who is out eight weeks with a broken ankle, didn't qualify out of Armwood High, he can't be redshirted. If he graduates in four years, he can gain an extra year of eligibility in 2008. "Your heart really has to go out to him," USF coach Jim Leavitt said. "We were really counting on having him ready to contribute this season so it's a loss."

Brett McMurphy, Gregg Becnel

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBKF5DGICE.html

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  562

i wonder if he's healthy.. but he probably isnt the same.. i mean, there IS a reason for him leaving LSU

He's evidently healthy.

Last year he played in only three games, but in LSU's spring game he had four catches for 80 yards, including an 8-yard touchdown. He received LSU's most improved award after spring drills.

Amp Hill was a four star recruit and ranked the #8 HS WR in the nation:

41638.jpg

http://chicagosports.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=9619&Sport=1

LSU has a ton of Top WR's just like him and maybe he felt it was just time to leave.

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  737

If he is close to the same receiver, we are gonna have an amazing group of wideouts next year.  Probably in the top 25 in the country.

I expect he left because of LSU's depth at wr.  They have 6-7 guys with first day nfl potential.

From LSU Board:

Memorial Tiger

Houston, TX via Glenmora, LA

Post #5612 Re: Amp Hill???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amp's knee injury a couple of years ago was slow to heal but he's close to if not 100% back right now. The problem for him is that it's been tough for him to rehab so far from home and watch a bunch of young pups move ahead of him on the depth chart. Apparently he didn't see a lot of opportunities for PT at LSU and wanted to find a place closer to home for a chance to play.

http://lsu.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=22&tid=56505105&sid=&style=2

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

The comments on the Julmiste/Denson battle are not encouraging for Julmiste.  Think about it:

1.  Julmiste has been with our offense for many years, and Denson's been with it for 1 on the scout team.  He's already EVEN with Julmiste.

2.  Denson runs faster, and seems to be LEARNING quickly, a sign that he can be effective soon and might just have the kind of mind to play the position.

That said, Julmiste could be moved, might step up over denson (unlikely if denson's truly caught up already), or contribute on trick plays.

I was hoping that carlton hill would win out, but i still expect to see him given a few reps.  Maybe play most of the game at famu

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

I was hoping that carlton hill would win out, but i still expect to see him given a few reps.  Maybe play most of the game at famu

I'm I the only one still on the Grothe bandwagon?

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

We're all on the Grothe bandwagon but it's not going to happen thi year.  He's redshirting.  I think we're all hoping he gets stronger and learns the playbook and comes back next year to fight for the #1.  It's going to be an ongoing battle to win the QB position at USF it seems.  That is until somebody is clearly better than the rest.  Could be Grothe next year.  And with 4 years of eligibility he'll be here for a long time.