• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF QB Isn't Reading Into Things

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

USF QB Isn't Reading Into Things

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Aug 10, 2005

TAMPA - While you are reading this, Pat Julmiste isn't.

"Since I've been starting, I don't read newspapers," said Julmiste, the University of South Florida's starting quarterback, who hasn't picked up a paper in the past two years.

And if the junior has his way, he won't read newspapers this year either.

Julmiste, who has started 12 of USF's past 14 games, is in a three-way battle with sophomore Courtney Denson, from Auburn, and incoming freshman Carlton Hill, rated among the nation's top recruits.

Last year, Julmiste had his share of good (22 of 33, 324 yards at TCU; 12 of 16, 233 yards against East Carolina) and bad (three of 20, 67 yards and two interceptions at Louisville).

"Coming off a 4-7 season, the criticism is going to come," Julmiste said. "If you're not ready to take all the pressure or heat, good or bad, I don't think you should be playing quarterback."

Julmiste said he uses the criticism -- and sorry, Internet "enthusiasts," he doesn't read your message boards -- as motivation.

"He's taken a lot of heat, from me, from Coach Jim Leavitt, media, fans, everybody," USF offensive coordinator Rod Smith said. "But all he did was come back and work harder."

Julmiste lost a few pounds to 217, reduced his body fat below 10 percent and increased his bench press to 365.

"He really studies the game a lot more," Smith said. "He's worked a lot on throwing more touch passes, and not to throw everything so hard because he has such a big arm, and he works on his accuracy. He probably works harder than anyone I got."

Last year, Julmiste finished with a Conference USA worst 47.8 completion percentage, eight interceptions, seven touchdowns and a boatload of criticism.

His worst criticism?

"A friend said they read somewhere: 'Julmiste can't even hit water in the ocean' " Julmiste said. "That was real funny. I just laugh it off.

"I take the criticism and flip it. I flip it into motivating me to be better and stronger."

But will that be enough to hold off Denson, the better runner, and Hill, the best athlete.

"If I'm not doing my job in practice and helping the team progress, I shouldn't be the guy," Julmiste said. "But, obviously, yes I want to start."

Denson said he can sympathize with the criticism Julmiste received last year. But, at the same time, wants to beat him out.

"I can feel his pain because he plays the same position," Denson said. "We're competing at 100 miles an hour. You can't afford to make a lot of mistakes, because they're evaluating us every day.

"That puts pressure on you because every time you make a mistake, they'll be killing you. I just have to play and stop worrying about that stuff."

Hill, perhaps the most intriguing prospect because of his overall athleticism, could move to wide receiver if he doesn't play quarterback.

"I just want to be on the field and will help the team whether at quarterback or wide receiver," Hill said. "It would be an honor to play quarterback. Whenever they call me I'll be ready."

Smith wants Julmiste, Denson or Hill to stand out.

"I want someone to separate from the rest," Smith said. "Right now, they're all even. It comes down to who can produce in practice and hopefully relate it to the game. That's all you can go by."

So, if you run into Julmiste, tell him what you just read. After all, he won't read it.

"Nah, probably not," Julmiste said laughing.

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBDAWH67CE.html

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Maybe he should read it... It's ironic though he took humor in the can't hit water in the ocean comment... It was almost as funny as me spending $1000 in plane tickets to see him not hit water last season. Can't wait to see if he has turned it around...  I guess we'll know in three weeks. Part of me wants to see the kid be the best comeback story in history... but the other part of me doesn't want to give him the chance to lose the Penn State game at the same time.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

USF fans should NOT take a loss at Penn State to mean the season is over.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

There's going to be several losses this year even if they put Marino under center just because of our schedule.

Penn St

Miami

Louisville

and Pitt W Va, & cuse are no easy picken either.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

Sheriff - You shouldn't get your hopes up for Penn State, one way or the other.

kind of hard to not get your hopes up for the season opener

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

Maybe he should read it... It's ironic though he took humor in the can't hit water in the ocean comment... It was almost as funny as me spending $1000 in plane tickets to see him not hit water last season. Can't wait to see if he has turned it around...  I guess we'll know in three weeks. Part of me wants to see the kid be the best comeback story in history... but the other part of me doesn't want to give him the chance to lose the Penn State game at the same time.

Too critical IMO.  I've been all over julmiste and rightfully so, but him not reading papers does not mean he is not giving even more effort to try and be good.

Maybe he'll never be good.  He could suck forever.  Horribly.  But he's got it differently in his head.  If he still believes he can step out on the field and dominate penn state, then even though I've hated his play I won't mind seeing him step on the field september 3rd.

If julmiste really still believes in himself, he at least has a chance.  The day he stops believing is the day he NEEDS to hang it up.  You played, didn't you sheriff?  Visualization of yourself as a winner/winning is a very important aspect of competition.  If you don't believe you can win, your odds are much lower than if you EXPECT to.

When you expect to win, and do the right things to get you there, 9 out of 10 times (maybe more) you WILL win.  Doesnt matter what the competition is in.

Maybe he just doesn't want to read the paper and hear more of what he already KNOWS: he sucked terribly.  He's still out on that field, trying.  If he holds that job, he still deserves it, but I do say that I hope it's because he EARNED it and not because the others COULDN'T.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

somebody buy pj a paper

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

somebody buy pj a paper

Now that's funny.  ;D