• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Lands Wolfpack Transfer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,035
  • Content Count:  7,515
  • Days Won:  10

We lose one transfer, gain another....  I couldn't find this in the TBO online edition, so I've retyped it.  Misspellings will be mine.

Tampa --  Former N.C. State defensive end Maurice Charles, The Miami Herald's Miami-Dade County Athlete of the Year as a senior at Carol City High, has transferred to the University of South Florida.

Charles (6-foot-3, 254 pounds) must sit out the 2005 season and will have two years of eligibility.  Charles played 19 games the past two seasons for the Wolfpack, including 13 as a freshman.

Charles did not practice Monday because he is completing his registration to get into USF.

The Bulls also are expected to add another Atlantic Coast Conference product in the coming days.  Former North Carolina RB Vince Wilson said he will transfer to USF when he gets his release from UNC.  A Tar Heel spokesman said Monday he didn't see any problem with Wilson receiving his release.

Wilson would sit out this season and have three years eligibility.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  1,266
  • Days Won:  0

he had offers from FL, FL State, Ohio State, Mich State, and Iowa...pretty impressive

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I'm surprised UNC would release Vince over to us since we are playing them in a home and home

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Another DE?  Man we're gonna be stacked there for awhile at least.  Frees us up to recruit some interior linemen.

Guest S.  Bien

By next year the DE's will be Charles, Buie, and Julmiste.

How exactly is that stacked?  Tavarious Robinson can shift over but expect to see him move to DT slowly, Thomas is already at tackle, and Woody George is swinging between inside and end.  Also, no one knows Selvie's natural position yet.

We need DE's, especially devestating edge rushers like Charles, and Buie.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550

I'd rather have a quality DE than another WR at this point...

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

Is kearse a DE?

Guest S.  Bien
I'd rather have a quality DE than another WR at this point...

Agreed, especially with prospect of Hill moving over, and Amarri Jackson being better than advertised.

What's even better is reading that Maurice Charles wasn't some ACC benchwarmer dreaming of a start, and leaving because he didn't think the coaches appreciated him.  Nope, Charles was the real deal.  Read below, that was as a true soph (he was a true soph because he played as a freshman as well).

It's Not Just McGill

In today's News and Observer UNC running back Ronnie McGill said he'll be ready to go on Saturday against the Wolfpack. After missing the past two games with an ankle injury, McGill's return gives UNC another top-notch running back.

"He's a big, strong back," Amato said. "I'll tell ya, they've moved the ball on the ground on everybody. Those other backs are salty too."

The "other" backs, Jacque Lewis and Chad Scott, are two seniors with a load of quality experience. If McGill's not able to go, Lewis and Scott will once again be able to pick up the slack.

Rumors have been circulating around Chapel Hill that a poor showing against NC State could affect John Bunting's status as head coach. Are the UNC players concerned about the rumors? Not according to NC State's Chuck Amato.

"I don't think their kids care about the public," Amato said. "A football team only cares about each other."

NC State will practice light on Thursday before taking Friday off to prepare for Saturday's game against the Tar Heels.

Competition

After registering three sacks against Virginia Tech, defensive end Manny Lawson failed to get a sack in a game for the first time this season against Wake Forest. Coach Amato labeled his play "fair."

"Fair," Amato said. "The ends didn't do exactly what we wanted them to do on certain things. We could have stopped a lot of little stuff inside."

Two players who did stand out at defensive end were freshman Raymond Brooks and sophomore Maurice Charles. Both came in and made big plays down the stretch for the Wolfpack.

"Maurice is a good football player," Amato said. "Maurice sees things and vision is so important. He sees an awful lot."

"Another kid who came in and did a heckuva job was #33, Ray Brooks," he added. "Ray Brooks is a man. He's a guy that's 270 pounds and played fullback in high school. He rushed for nearly 740 yards, and I think he ran 4 touchdowns back on kickoffs. He's just starting to really grasp everything because he's a true freshman."

Getting consistent play from the reserves only improves what Amato feels every good team has, competition.

"The two of them makes for more competition," Amato said. "Now there's more competition. We were talking about that in the staff meeting today. I told Stroud, on the first defensive line we have three sophomores and a junior, and Manny's a freshman playing that position. Their backups are three freshmen and a sophomore."

Charles Steps Up

Sophomore Maurice Charles came in and did a terrific job against the run on Saturday. He used his instincts and play-making ability to disrupt several Wake Forest plays and provide a spark for the Wolfpack defense. Charles believes that he's as good against the run as he is against the pass.

"Like I tell the coaches, I can play anything," he said. "It doesn't matter if it's against the run or the pass. I do what it takes to help the team."

As Amato said, vision is so important along the defensive line, especially against a team like Wake Forest that specializes in misdirection.

"I think that's big for me because I see the ball quickly and know where it's going," Charles said. "I try to chase it, and after I find it the chasing is the easy part."

Wake's scheme presented NC State's defense some problems early, but after seeing it for two quarters they erupted to limit the Deacons to zero yards of total offense in third period.

"It was hard because they had a different scheme, and they had good players who know what they are doing," he said. "We went over it on defense and got a feel for what they do so we had some good plays to call against them. That made it pretty easy for us later on."

Although he's currently a reserve behind Manny Lawson, Charles knows that he'll get plenty of reps this season and feel that he and Lawson are doing great at weakside defensive end.

"We are both great players and work hard," Charles said. "As long as we keep working hard we'll split reps and get the job done. We both can do what it takes, whether it's the run or the pass, and the coaches know that."

"I always wanted to be on special teams to make an impact for the team. I don't have a black belt yet, but I will get one this next game." -- Maurice Charles

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

hey all. just want to mention that George Kearse shouldn't be counted as someone intent on returning to USF anymore. I talked with him maybe two weeks ago, and he's headed to the College of the Sequoias -- same school as Brent Schaeffer. Anyway, Kearse told me he's no longer planning on signing with USF in 2006 -- as was the case a year ago -- and is re-opening his options for where he'll go after a year in california.  could very well sign with the Bulls, but he'll be taking visits, looking at other schools, etc.

greg