• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Lands Wolfpack Transfer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

The article is now online:

USF Lands Wolfpack Transfer

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Aug 9, 2005

TAMPA - Former N.C. State defensive end Maurice Charles, The Miami Herald’s Miami-Dade County Athlete of the Year as a senior at Carol City High, has transferred to the University of South Florida.

Charles (6-foot-3, 254 pounds) must sit out the 2005 season and will have two years of eligibility. Charles played 19 games the past two seasons for the Wolfpack, including 13 as a freshman.

Charles did not practice Monday because he is completing his registration to get into USF.

The Bulls also are expected to add another former Atlantic Coast Conference product in the coming days. Former North Carolina RB Vince Wilson said he will transfer to USF when he gets his release from UNC. A Tar Heels spokesman said Monday he didn’t see any problem with Wilson receiving his release.

Wilson would sit out this season and have three years eligibility.

STILL WAITING: Five members of USF’s incoming recruiting class did not practice Monday while waiting academic clearance, but USF coach Jim Leavitt said he expects them all to join the team soon.

Freshman LB Chris Robinson, DB Jerome Murphy and DB Antonio Cox have been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse, but are still completing their registration into school; freshman WR Ishmael Grant is waiting NCAA Clearinghouse approval; and junior college LB Gene Coleman must complete his AA degree.

MOON OVER MIAMI: Kickoff for USF’s Oct. 1 game at Miami is tentatively set for 8 p.m. and is expected to be televised on ESPNU.

THE BIGGEST: There’s no dispute  USF has the nation’s largest media guide, measuring 9 by 12 inches.

Unfortunately for USF, the NCAA limited media guides this year to measure no larger than 8 1/2 by 11 inches, so the Bulls turned themselves into the Big East for an NCAA secondary rules infraction.

This was the first year the NCAA limited guide sizes to 8 1/2 by 11 inches and no more than 208 pages. USF’s guide is 156 pages.

ODDS AND ENDS: Senior WR Travis Lipp did not practice Monday. He is awaiting his summer school grades. ... Leavitt said he’s ''leaning'' toward redshirting freshman QB Matt Grothe. ... All of USF’s practices are closed to the public except Aug. 27 for USF’s fan appreciation day.

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBDGHY86CE.html

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

FlipFlop, what do you think of redshirting Matt?  Good decision based on what you've seen thus far?

Guest S.  Bien
hey all. just want to mention that George Kearse shouldn't be counted as someone intent on returning to USF anymore. I talked with him maybe two weeks ago, and he's headed to the College of the Sequoias -- same school as Brent Schaeffer. Anyway, Kearse told me he's no longer planning on signing with USF in 2006 -- as was the case a year ago -- and is re-opening his options for where he'll go after a year in california.  could very well sign with the Bulls, but he'll be taking visits, looking at other schools, etc.

greg

Odd, I had heard otherwise but that was in June.  I heard he's looked great in off-season workouts in the area.  Some expect him to have a monster JC year, and could demand a lot of recruiting attention.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,643
  • Days Won:  29

With Jones & Royal leaving after this season, will be great having a DE of his caliber.

Regarding Grothe RSing, would expect it. Have PJ & CD battling, a #3 wasted on a very good QB would be a waste unless he would win the position. RS him and have him run the scout team.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

RECEIVING ADVICE: If USF coaches want to blame anyone for losing Georgia Tech transfer Pat Carter to Florida, they should look to football's most famous bachelor.

Carter, whose brother, Tim, plays for the New York Giants, spent the offseason working out with Giants quarterbacks Jesse Palmer and Tim Hasselbeck. Palmer, a former Gator and former reality television star, helped convince Carter that he should try receiver instead of playing quarterback -- the position he played at Lakewood High and the one he intended to play at USF.

Once he decided to switch to receiver, Carter said, he considered Michigan and Florida before settling on the Gators. The 6-foot-3, 185-pounder walked on this week and hopes to earn a scholarship eventually.

"I feel like coach Meyer has a great offense, and the way he was talking, he can help me develop," Carter said. "I don't have much experience as a receiver."

Andy Staples

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGBPSI237CE.html

whatever......seeYA

no  :'( shed here.....

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

whatever......seeYA

no   shed here.....

Another assinine decision since Lawrence Dawsey could have taught him better at USF. After all, he was a FSU Hall of fame/ NFL receiver and NOT Meyer.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

good luck to him...NOT.

he will join C ingram on the bench and with no scholie.

saved us some dough on scholie for the next kid that wants to come to usf!

Guest FreaKnight-2

If Pat Carter is close to his brother at all, I doubt he will be needing a scholarship at all, especially a FL state school's tuition rate.  That kind of $$$ would barely be a rounding error for NFL brother Tim Carter.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

I'm surprised UNC would release Vince over to us since we are playing them in a home and home

Aw cmon velcro.  You've gotta do better than that.  Get the schools straight, I bet I could name any d 1-a football school's mascot, although the other way around could be tough.

For example, along with nc state, you have nevada as the wolf pack.  Many years ago, even syracuse was considering this name.

Guest S.  Bien
If Pat Carter is close to his brother at all, I doubt he will be needing a scholarship at all, especially a FL state school's tuition rate.  That kind of $$$ would barely be a rounding error for NFL brother Tim Carter.

Which is probably why he's playing at UF without the certainty of a scholarship.  At USF he had a schollie waiting so he's obviously not to concerned about the money.  Trust me, when they watch Pat play for a month they'll find a schollie for him.