• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Report from the guys at D1 baseball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Hey guys, I know South Florida going 2-2 this week hurt their chances at getting in the top 25, but do you think they have the pitching depth to be successful in the AAC? Secondly, how does that conference stack up nationally.
via
·
2 minutes ago

phpfu0hnkfitt_headshot_3.png
Aaron Fitt: 

USF was right in our mix for a Top 25 spot this week, and if they win that series at Houston next week, I have a strong feeling they'll be ranked. I was quite concerned about the pitching depth heading into the season, but Billy Mohl is doing a great job getting the most out of his staff, mixing and matching with a lot of different guys to piece the pitching together. So far, so good... ultimately I think they'll wind up in the middle of the AAC pack, but maybe I'm underselling them. I just have a high regard for that conference, I think ECU, Wichita, UCF, Houston, UConn and USF are all legitimate postseason-caliber clubs. That's going to be a free-for-all.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Sounds about right.  Probably only 4 teams tops getting in the NCAA tourney though so we need to keep winning series.   Mohl has done a good job with the pitching for sure

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

• Another weekend with a opening game beat down followed by two impressive wins for East Carolina. This team shows some resilience. Has East Carolina faced the two best opponents they will see in the AAC this year? Also, how important are the midweek games ECU has this month against Duke and NC State?

Teddy Cahill: The American is so tough to figure out. I'm still not sure how good South Florida is and ECU still hasn't seen the league's top arms - Shane McClanahan, Tim Cate and Trey Cumbie. UCF and Wichita State may be the two best opponents in conference play, but that conference is so compact that I'm not comfortable saying that right now. The midweeks later this month are nice from an RPI standpoint, but ECU already ranks 10th in RPI, so it doesn't really need the help. In terms of hosting, the most important thing for ECU is to keep rolling in conference play and clearly establish itself as the American's best team.

Baseball America